I Was Robbed This Afternoon - Dogs Were Home!

megan_

I would certainly have the locks changed ASAP.

Having worked in some pretty seedy areas I can tell you that one tricks theives use is to make sure that the door they plan to use to exit the building is locked, (door is left open when they are in there but is locked) that way if they are disturbed in the middle of a job they go through the door, close it after them and whoever has disturbed them has to have keys to follow them out. It will buy enough time for them to jump a fence etc.

Bob

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The locks have been changed. I was the only person with a key - I live alone and own the house (okay, I own 2%, bank owns the rest) It is a bit disturbing that the locksmith took 3 seconds to remove the entire lock barrel! He said that if someone wanted to get in there isn't a lock in existence that can keep them out.

I've also got a mega padlock on the gate to make things that bit harder.

I was feeling okay until I realised they had been back.

They did a professional job though so I'm assuming they are pros and aren't a bunch of druggies who'l come back when I'm home. The hardest thing is going to be leaving the dogs while I go to work.

Does anyone have a rottie I can borrow? One that doesn't give a warning bark....

Edited by megan_

Hi Megan - it is a worry. I'm a little concerned though about how much you are saying on a public forum.

Maybe I'm paranoid where you aren't? But be careful. I even thought that when you mentioned you weren't staying at home that night. I don't think that's something that people need or should know.

I was just about to write the same thing Erny! Just be careful what you say (going to your cousin, going to work etc). It might sound like nothing much but this is an open forum and often burgelers get their information from places like this now a days. Escpecially when holiday time comes up!

Im sorry this happened to you, must be a very uncomfy feeling :thumbsup:

They did a professional job though so I'm assuming they are pros and aren't a bunch of druggies who'l come back when I'm home. The hardest thing is going to be leaving the dogs while I go to work.

No offence and I do not mean to take away from the seriousness of someone breaking in to your house, but...They do not sound very professional to me. If they were, your house would be empty by now and you wouldn’t of noticed they had come back to try the key in the door.

We had something very similar happen a while back I got home and before I even opened my door I knew something wasn't right.. our front screen was off and a locked window had been jimmied open and our house was trashed.. Upon asking our neighbor she was like oh I could hear the dogs carrying on for a while but couldn't see anything...

The dogs were preventing the guys from getting out the back door and cos our front door and screen were dead bolted there wasn't any other way out.. We reckon they would have taken a good snap or two at them.. And when mum finally made the choice to go in to check on all the animals heres the back door wide open and my two monsters standing there in the door looking as if to say "we didn't do it mummy" Spare keys to a car were stolen too.. my stepdad fully disabled the car on the off chance they came back...

We lost so much stuff that day.. not the big things but the little more sentimental things and Its still hurts but I'm just more glad that they didn't hurt or steal my dogs.. Jock in particular is a real looker and it wouldn't surprise me if people would try and take him home..

Glad you guys are okay and hope these guys don't come back its a scary thing!

what a scary thing to happen. I am glad your dogs and yourself are safe.

Don't mean to scare you, but did the police check in the ceiling?

What could be in the ceiling??

I might just have a suspicious mind but the OP said that when she came back (see post 33) the back door was then locked again. I would be worried they had come back and were hiding in the house, may be the ceiling???

what a scary thing to happen. I am glad your dogs and yourself are safe.

Don't mean to scare you, but did the police check in the ceiling?

What could be in the ceiling??

I might just have a suspicious mind but the OP said that when she came back (see post 33) the back door was then locked again. I would be worried they had come back and were hiding in the house, may be the ceiling???

After watching to many american cop shows, I was thinking more about hidden cameras! :thumbsup:

Going back to post 32, it is true that mini schnauzers are good watch dogs, it is said the difference between a mini and a Giant is that the mini will bark the warning and the giant will be stood behind the 'victim' with a 'go on a try it' look!

She was posting yesterday morning (I checked up on her, because I got a bit concerned too) in another thread (can't remember where). So I do expect she is fine and possibly hasn't realised her thread is ongoing.

Edited by Erny

i would have the cilling checked to. we were once broken into and all they took was food and an xbox. but the strange thing is they kicked front door in from the inside :cry: so we thought to look in the ceilling mostly because oh kept saying something wasnt right, we had a back bedroom down the other end of a large house that had an ensuite in which oh noticed the shower sometimes had a wet floor we told her she was imanging it and it was probably kids. but once we checked our ceilling we found a make shift bed some of the missing food and pics of the oh. needless to say we didnt stay there very long at all. oh refused to step foot in the house after that.

they never found the person tho.