Of All The Cheaper Dry Dogfoods Which Is The Best?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On size of poo, can anyone tell me what is bad about dogs dropping large ones? I thought it was better to allow the gut to be active, with something to work on being more comfortable. And that it was better to be on the large side than alternatively too small or on the edge of constipation. A vet told me that large healthy poos indicate better gut health than little ones (and that people who opt for their dog having little poos are more narrowly concerned with their own convenience in picking it up than they are with their dog's welfare).

I've gone away from Advance and ScienceD and now feed Bonnie Complete, with plenty of bones, frames and raw salmon. The salmon offcuts are only a little dearer than chicken frames and better I think than sardines - well at least they are raw.

Possum Corner, the reason that smaller more formed poos are best is because the less that comes out, the more was metabolised by the dog.

Raw food tends to be metabolised well and produce dryer, smaller poos that go white really quickly. Dry food tends to produce larger poos that are 'well preserved'.

The cheaper the dogfood usually translates to more fillers or cereals in it plus the preservatives.

Raw all natural food is definitely the best however for many different reasons it is not always possible to feed this.

I tried to get UA and GB's locally but couldn't. The produce merchant I was told to go to was so dirty & smelly I couldn't wait to get out of it. :laugh:

Looks like its going to be Optimum this time!

can anyone who feed UA or GB, post a pic of the kibble please. I have a small dog, and I'm not sure either will be too big for him. I have tried to feel it through the bag, and it seems rather big.

This is UA (the GB was different to this but I can't remember if it was bigger or smaller).

If you email the company that makes it they will post you two small sample packs of both UA and GB.

ETA email for company to get samples http://www.lauckemills.com.au/enquiries43.html

DSCF1660.jpg

Edited by fiveplusone

can anyone who feed UA or GB, post a pic of the kibble please. I have a small dog, and I'm not sure either will be too big for him. I have tried to feel it through the bag, and it seems rather big.

This is UA (the GB was different to this but I can't remember if it was bigger or smaller).

If you email the company that makes it they will post you two small sample packs of both UA and GB.

ETA email for company to get samples http://www.lauckemills.com.au/enquiries43.html

DSCF1660.jpg

Thank you so much for doing that for me. It looks nice and moist. Thanks again for your info and help :laugh:

I swap back and forth between Coprice (Family - mine dont like the Working Dog ones) and Great Barko. I prefer Great Barko to Uncle Albers, no real reason LOL

I find the dogs have a slight preference for the Barko, but they generally eat anything with gusto the first few days.

I have one allergy dog who can only have Nutro Lamb & Rice, and thats not a cheap one!

Just letting people in Perth WA know that finally Great Barko & Uncle Albers is available at atleast 1 store for now called Jandakot Stock & Pet at 814 Northlake Rd Cockburn Central 0894148844. Give them a ring first to make sure they still have some stock. Should be several more locations by the end of August. :shrug::rofl:

I too feed Uncle Albers and mine love it.

IF they start to look a bit podgy, I then switch to a bag of Great Barko; but this is rare and usually only a problem with the one who is the kennel pig.

For those that are in the Western Suburbs of Brisbane, the produce on Brisbane Terrace at Goodna stocks it :laugh: .

We are now feeding Bonnie working dog here. I have started feeding raw in the morning & dry at night with yoghurt & sardines.

Have tried about 4 premium kibbles & 4 cheaper kibbles, our dogs thrived on Proplan performance unfortunately our wallets didn't :laugh::cry::cheer:

Coprice working dog here. My Danes have been fed this for 15 years, plus between 400 - 500gms raw beef each, they hold really good condition, no problems with breeding or whelping. Puppies are fed Advance until 9 months of age, and then swapped to the Coprice.

The Frenchies were being fed EaglePack Holistic, but went totally off it. They were swapped to Royal Canin, but our pied dog went a bright pink, and they were always licking and chewing their feet. We have now swapped them to Coprice also, plus raw meat (beef or human grade chicken), and they do very, very well on it. Plus they love it!