What Would Your Ideal Dog Do?

ILK

After reading a couple of recent threads about robbery and I also watched the "White Wolf" today :thumbsup: Good movie, but very unrealistic.

What do you expect from your dogs. Would you expect that they warn off robbers or attack some stranger that raised their hand at you. If another dog came running at you to attack you would you expect your dog to intervene? This is a genuine question..... I would love to know what behaviour people expect from their dogs.

I have had a dog step in to defend me against another dog once. It was awful - it turned into a bad dog fight between my lovely old whippet cross and a german shepherd who was probably about 18 months old and in its physical prime (dud owner couldn't hold onto him). She was really badly hurt and nearly died. I was only 12 years old. She was 13. Luckily she lived (only just).

I don't care if they don't defend me. I just want a loving happy dog.

I was walking one of my current dogs one night about 7 years ago and 2 big black dogs came up to us in the dark and started circling us. Very scary. But it was me that defended us, not my dog. I actually picked her up and yelled at the other 2 dogs 'She's mine you can bugger off you're not having her' and luckily that's exactly what they did!

It took a while for my heart rate to come back down to normal. I had been seriously attacked by a large dog about 5 years before that so was acutely aware of what could go wrong. Just an instinctive thing on the day.

Honey is a big sooky la la and will look to me to protect her most of the time, especially from other dogs.

However she has a big bark and tends to "guard" the house and occasionally me from some people, but I'm certain its all bluff.

I'm happy to settle for bluff though as I like that passersby (or potential burglars) would know there is a big dog here.

She is rather wary of big older men (prob due to her past history) and one night last week she "protected" me from a passing drunk. Scared the crap out of him and he started hollering, luckily there was a fence between us because I suspect she would have run behind me if he had've tried anything. :eat: As it was she kept growling and barking at him and he hurried away. Me, I was holding my breath hoping he wouldnt call her on it because then I'd have to save her!. :D

Honey is a big sooky la la and will look to me to protect her most of the time, especially from other dogs.

However she has a big bark and tends to "guard" the house and occasionally me from some people, but I'm certain its all bluff.

I'm happy to settle for bluff though as I like that passersby (or potential burglars) would know there is a big dog here.

She is rather wary of big older men (prob due to her past history) and one night last week she "protected" me from a passing drunk. Scared the crap out of him and he started hollering, luckily there was a fence between us because I suspect she would have run behind me if he had've tried anything. :eat: As it was she kept growling and barking at him and he hurried away. Me, I was holding my breath hoping he wouldnt call her on it because then I'd have to save her!. :D

Yes deelee they are funny aren't they.. My boy has barked at the occasional jogger heading in my direction, but I'm sure if the jogger went to attack me my dog would wag his tail waiting for a pat :D He just gets his tough look on :rofl:

I don't expect any protection from either of my two. They will warn me if they think there is a problem, but they also know that they are not to discipline anyone or any animal if I am there. (We've had a few issues with my boy and borderline fear aggression so I am VERY firm on this rule.)

I'm sure if push came to shove they would help me, but in the general run of things their place is in behind me if they are not comfortable.

I wouldn't expect my dogs to defend me from another dog or person. We often laugh at Jazz, she will bark and hackles come up ( and it's quite loud and scary) if a stranger comes into the driveway and then when they get out of the car she runs upto us and hides :eat: She will continue to bark until we tell her "it's ok" Thats all I ask :D

On the other hand if close friends pull into the driveway, we don't hear a thing!

My German Shepard was attacked by 3 dogs when she was about 6 months old and i automatically got in there without thinking about being hurt and kicked and beat them until they got off her. She was a very protective dog for most of her life but when she got older things turned around again and I became her protector. I like to have a dog that can protect themselves, I don't even think about them protecting me. My 13 month old Rottie could no doubt rip someones throat out if she wanted to, but I always put her behind me with a strange dog because i don't want her to get hurt. I love large breed dogs because they are fantastic, smart and funny companions.

Dusty would go for the throat. Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Benson would probably hide behind my legs.

Gaylek, do you think that Dusty would go for the throat due to breed or instinct or just based on your relationship?

Edited by ILK

I've got Spitz breeds... I've learnt never to expect anything :eat:

:D

Erik is a good watchdog and would bark at anyone coming in, friend or foe. I wouldn't expect him to do any more, though. But more importantly, whatever he does is fine, really. That's him and I accept him as he is. Same goes for Kivi, who would most likely bring them a sock or toy and push it into their leg.

My two are here to be protected by me. I would never expect them to protect me and would feel bad if it ever came to that as it would mean that I have'nt been able to fullfill my promise to them...that they have a happy carefree life full of fun and adventure. I would never expect my two sweet natured dogs to take on the responsibility of protecting their protector.

If it was a dog approaching, Spence would stick close and look to me for protection. 100% certain on that.

If it was a person approaching in a threatening manner he would probably either react the same as above, or drop to the ground, roll on his side a little and wag his tail while looking at the person out the corner of his eye. Would probably pee a little too.

If the person actually attacked me and there was a struggle Spence would probably think it was a game and would jump on us (would be just as likely to jump on me as the attacker) and bark and growl. He wouldn't do it to protect me, he'd do it cos he's the fun police :eat:

I would like my dogs to make me dinner. Just once :eat:

:D and clean up afterwards!!!

If someone broke into our house, I'd fully expect my borders to pester the robbers/axe murderers/rapists into throwing the ball for them for 2 hours. Hopefully by then the robbers/axe murderers/rapists would have tired themselves out...failing that, I'd have enough time to gonk the robbers/axe murderers/rapists over the head. But then I'd have to throw the ball myself for 2 hours waiting for the police to turn up.

I would like my dogs to make me dinner. Just once :eat:

:D and clean up afterwards!!!

If someone broke into our house, I'd fully expect my borders to pester the robbers/axe murderers/rapists into throwing the ball for them for 2 hours. Hopefully by then the robbers/axe murderers/rapists would have tired themselves out...failing that, I'd have enough time to gonk the robbers/axe murderers/rapists over the head. But then I'd have to throw the ball myself for 2 hours waiting for the police to turn up.

Love it :rofl: