Intruder Kills Pet In Front Of Child

Sue

Link to article

A Christchurch teenager saw an intruder choke the life from the family's pet dog.

Fern Gaber said four-year-old boxer Troy was a "loyal friend" to the family and playmate for her son, Tyler Corbett-Gaber, 13.

Troy died in Tyler's arms on Friday after an intruder entered the Spreydon house and strangled the dog to death with its own lead as it defended the property.

Gaber, 35, said Tyler was home ill and asleep in his room when a man entered the Milton St home through a window.

The burglar reckoned without Troy, and Gaber said the ensuing struggle left the house like a "war zone".

"There were broken doors, and the shower curtain was ripped down," Gaber said.

"It was horrific."

In the chaos, Troy's lead fell from a cupboard on to the floor, and the intruder wrapped it around the dog's neck.

Tyler went into the bathroom to see Troy being strangled.

"Tyler was shouting at him to `leave the dog alone, leave the dog alone', but he had to witness it. That's pretty scary for him to come out of bed and that's happening in his house," Gaber said.

The dog "collapsed" and the intruder fled out of the bathroom window.

"Tyler just went and hugged Troy and said, `Hold on buddy, hold on buddy', and Troy just looked at him and stopped breathing."

The family was struggling to come to terms with Troy's death, especially Tyler, whom she said was extremely shaken.

"He was really good with kids and he loved rugby and going to watch rugby games. He was just a good, loyal family pet and friends with the kids and a brilliant guard dog," she said.

"[The intruder] was obviously trying to protect himself from the dog and decided it's him or me, and sadly it was Troy."

Acting Sergeant Andrew Savage of the Christchurch South police said police want to hear from anyone who saw the intruder fleeing the scene. He was of medium build and height, dressed in black and wore a balaclava and gloves.

Gaber said she wanted to see whoever killed Troy caught. "I don't feel [Troy] should have died in vain. He was just doing his job," she said.

------------------------------------

I'm sure we can all think of our own words to describe the person responsible. RIP Troy.

This just breaks my heart. :vomit: Poor Troy just trying to protect his family and he has paid the ultimate price.

And how awful that little Tyler had to witness such a heartbreaking event.

I hope the police catch the intruder and he pays dearly.

RIP Troy. :)