Seeking Advice On Selecting A Puppy

Lambo

"those amstaff creature's" :) are a different breed to staffy's :)

glad you know about dogs :)

I do know a bit about dogs (even though I am not a breeder or by any means an expert) and while thembeing separate breeds is obvious to me and you...my experience has been (particularly online) that a lot of people (particularly in areas where Am Staffs are popular) refer to Am Staffs as Staffies or do not know which "Staffy" you are talking about. I assume when I hear Staffs/Staffies etc that they are talking about Staffs...however, others may asume you are talking about Am Staffs - I was trying to ensure there was no confusion. If that is a problem, I shall allow it next time and assume it is obvious to all and sundry which I am talking about (maybe I should have assume as I am on a dog website everyone calls them their proper name - but I didnt).

Calling them "creatures" wasn't meant to 'offend'. I don't have a problem with the breed at all...creatures is a word I use often in reference to a number of creatures.

Etc etc blah blah so on and so forth

Edited by lanabanana

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too was going to say a beagle may not be a good choice for you Lambo. As sweet and delightful as they are, they are also extremely mischievious and not particularly obedient. They are a dog bred to live and work in a pack situation, so will not be happy with being alone at all.

Here is a link to dog show schedule for Qld: http://www.cccq.org.au/Show-/-Trial-Forms.aspx

Goldies do have some GOOD points!!! ;)

Now, I have only owned the one and I got her as a nearly 3 year old from NSW Golden Retriever Rescue.

I chose to go this route because I have a 7 year old who is nervous of dogs.

I researched (on here and elsewhere) which dogs were known as being calm and easily trained. I then decided Goldies were for us, but didnt want a pup because of the bounciness.

When I called GRR I outlined my situation and gave them my wishlist- young adult (between 2 and 5) and calm. They get so many dogs through and it didnt take long before Honey came along.

I highly recommend this route- we saved a dog who was a perfect match for us.

With a puppy, you just dont get that kind of guarantee and to be honest I was terrified of stuffing up early training (have had a bad experience with that in the past).

As for what Honey is like?

She is not a big barker, and from what I understand Goldies are not known as nuisance barkers- not like some spitz breeds- and are probably no worse than GSDs, Weims or any other dog.

If she does bark inappropriately (I'm happy for her to be a "watch dog") a firm NO shuts her up.

She is kept inside all day while we are at work- today she will be alone for 6 hours. The only issue we have had was that recently she chewed some mail.

This has been rectified by giving her pigs ears, a treat ball and reducing her access to the mail area. She just sleeps, I guess.

She is gentle with the kids, but this is always reinforced- she is still a bit boisterous at times so we stay on top of this. Its easy though- Goldies are soft in temperament and Honey does not need to be harshly reprimanded, again a firm NO does it.

She adores me, but is not a velcro dog, just a quiet companion. :)

I hope you havent been put off by all the negative stuff, Goldies are gorgeous dogs and if you make an effort to find a compatible dog for your family (by talking to breeders or rescue orgs) then they can be a delight. Especially if you can see past the shedding. :(

deelee I was not saying goldens arent great dogs. I jsut wonder whether his missus would cope with a golden pup. I think if he got a golden like yours, already out of the puppy stage it would be a brilliant match. Not all goldens bark like mine does, but some do. Another advantage of an older dog is that it will be obvious by then if the dog is a barker.

I love my golden, and the breed, but that doesnt mean they are the breed for everyone, particularly as pups.

Airedale terriers are big. Much bigger than beagles, whippets etc. They are a breed with a strong personality though and can require special handling.

I wonder how the OH who doesn't like dogs would react to a terrier ...

Airedale terriers are big. Much bigger than beagles, whippets etc. They are a breed with a strong personality though and can require special handling.

I wonder how the OH who doesn't like dogs would react to a terrier ...

OT but we have had a couple of Wheatens at work lately - they have been really nice dogs! One of them seems very clever too - wonder how he would brush up with some good training. Don't think I've ever seen any apart from at work though :(

deelee I was not saying goldens arent great dogs. I jsut wonder whether his missus would cope with a golden pup. I think if he got a golden like yours, already out of the puppy stage it would be a brilliant match. Not all goldens bark like mine does, but some do. Another advantage of an older dog is that it will be obvious by then if the dog is a barker.

I love my golden, and the breed, but that doesnt mean they are the breed for everyone, particularly as pups.

I know Indigirl, I was noticing that this thread has spent a lot of time addressing the negatives of several breeds, I just wanted to balance it out. :)

I completely agree that its much easier getting an older dog with known temperament- I'm not sure I'd ever have a pup again! :(

I think the most important thing for the OP to realise is that whilst breed description is an indication of what a dog will be like, personality plays a big part.

There will always be extremes of temperament in any breed.

That's why you need to be clear and uncompromising about what you are after in a dog/pup when talking to breeders/rescue orgs.

As someone who has been through this process not once, but twice ( I have two different breeds), take your time Lambo. The effort will be rewarded in not only you getting a breed you've thought through carefully but in preparing you for the effort you need to put in to raising it right.

Kick a lot of tyres, meet as many different breeds as you can and do your homework (which you obviously are).

There are some less popular breeds that you may not have heard of but that might suit you.

Here's a few less common breeds to tyre kick (just putting them out there as I think of them):

German Pinscher

Flat Coated Retriever

Border Terrier

Norweigian Elkhound (OK they shed but they are great dogs)

Pointer (fantastic dogs, brilliant temperament as a rule but a bit less hyper than the utility gundogs IMO)

Portuguese Water Dog (very low shedding)

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier (a non-shedder)

:(:) ;)

Thank you everyone for the detailed responses.

At this point, I should probably clear a few things up:

1. First things first, I am the "hubby" - it's the "missus" who isn't altogether keen on dogs. Thankfully - for me anyway - its my other half that drives the kids to all the activities. I get left home to clean the yard and the house, and to cook on weekends. So basically I'm home all weekend unless we need/want to go somewhere;

2. I'm not entirely sure if my other half really dislikes dogs or whether she just says so because she doesn't want to be left looking after it. She claims to already have three kids! I've seen her interact with dogs and quite frankly I think that she will be won over in the end;

3. My kids both love dogs - and so do I. In honesty though, most of the work will probably be done by me and my eldest;

Oops, sorry about that. It is rarely the wife in a family that doesn't want a dog, so I assumed the wrong way round.

As a breeder I never sell a puppy to a family if the wife/mother is not 100% enthusiastic about the purchase. In my experience if a woman is not happy with a dog it is more likely to end up being rehomed. I know you intend to be the one looking after the dog, but the reality is that in 99% of homes, the wife always ends up having to be responsible for the the dog and especially for any damage it creates.

Under these circumstances I would not contemplate a puppy at this stage. If either spouse is not a real dog lover then I always recommend going for an already trained adult dog, either rescue or retired show dog from a breeder. If you get the right dog your wife may be charmed into becoming a dog lover but if you get a puppy and it turns out to be a really destructive one, she will never get to like dogs.

BTW there is no real way to tell which puppies will be the most destructive. I have owned several generations of related dogs of the same breed. Some destroy everything they come into contact with and others never destroy anything. It is just the luck of the draw.

Maybe two adult dogs from one of the hound breeds would suit. Some are just as happy with another dog for company as they are with humans. They are not as devoted to their owners as working and gundogs are, and are happier to do their own thing. If you like big dogs, how about Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

When you only address the negatives of a breed that you own, or the negatives of a particular growth period.......puppyhood, adolescence etc...... It comes across as very condescending. And I realize it's probably not intentional, but it seems that the poster is inferring that while they can cope with these awful habits and this terrible breed of dog, no one else possibly could.

When you only address the negatives of a breed that you own, or the negatives of a particular growth period.......puppyhood, adolescence etc...... It comes across as very condescending. And I realize it's probably not intentional, but it seems that the poster is inferring that while they can cope with these awful habits and this terrible breed of dog, no one else possibly could.

On the other hand, what's the point of advocating your own breed if you don't think its suitable? I appreciate what you're saying about only the negatives but there hasn't been a lot of that in this thread.

There's no way I'd recommend a poodle without pointing out the high maintenance aspect of the non-shedding coat. There are always positives and negatives - some directly related to each other. Similarly what's the point of advocating a very people focussed breed to a household where the dog will have limited access to the family?

It's not condescending IMO. Its realistic. Its also in the best interests of dog and family that both positives and negatives are understood before the dog arrives in the home.

Edited by poodlefan

Vizsla Temperament

What's Good About 'Em,

What's Bad About 'Em

By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2010

The AKC Standard calls the Vizsla "lively, gentle-mannered, demonstrably affectionate, and sensitive."

The good-natured Vizsla has also been called a "Velcro" dog because he is so tactile -- he likes to attach himself to people, preferably in their laps.

Athletic, agile, and light on his feet, the Vizsla is a robust hunting dog who needs vigorous daily exercise and lots of personal attention. Too much confinement and too little companionship can lead to neurotic behaviors such as hyperactivity and destructiveness. Bored Vizslas are notorious chewers.

Most Vizslas get along well with everyone, including strangers and other animals, but they do need a lot of early socialization to build confidence. Some Vizslas are excitable and/or easily startled in new situations.

The Vizsla has the independent spirit of all pointing breeds, but responds to training more willingly than most and is a capable performer in advanced obedience competition.

You may need to control his tendency to mouth your hands -- provide a box filled with toys so he can carry things around in his mouth.

If you want a dog who...

Is medium-sized, sleek-coated, tautly-muscled, a true athlete

Is usually bred by responsible breeders who produce dual-purpose (both show and field) and even triple-purpose (show, field, and obedience) dogs

Is packed with energy and thrives on vigorous exercise and athletic activities

Responds to training more willingly than most pointing breeds

Is gentle and sensitive, typically a "soft" dog

Is very sociable and demonstrative with his family -- likes to lean against you

Is usually polite with everyone, including other animals

A Vizsla may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

Vigorous exercise requirements

Exuberant jumping, especially when young or not exercised enough

"Separation anxiety" (destructiveness and barking) when left alone too much

Timidity in some lines, or when not socialized enough

A distractable mind of his own -- tends to ignore calls and commands when an interesting sight or scent catches his attention

A Vizsla may not be right for you.

If I were considering buying or adopting a Vizsla

My major concerns would be:

Providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. Vizslas MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy and do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing. Bored Vizslas are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.

If you simply want a casual pet and don't have the time or inclination to take your dog running or hiking or biking, or to get involved in hunting, or advanced obedience, or tracking, or agility (obstacle course), or a similar canine activity, I do not recommend this breed. Trying to suppress their "hardwired" desire to run and work, without providing alternate outlets for their high energy level, can be difficult.

Bounciness. Young Vizslas (up to about two years old) romp and jump with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people.

Separation anxiety. More than most other breeds, Vizslas need a great deal of companionship and do not like being left alone for more than a few hours. They tend to express their unhappiness through destructive chewing and barking. If you work all day, this is not the breed for you.

Providing enough socialization. Vizslas need extensive exposure to people and to unusual sights and sounds. Otherwise their natural caution can become shyness, which is difficult to live with.

Mind of their own. Vizslas are versatile working dogs, capable of learning a great deal, but they have an independent mind of their own, can be stubborn, and are easily distracted by exciting sights, scents, and sounds. You must show them, through absolute consistency and great patience, that you mean what you say and that they must pay attention to you.

Have to agree with all this about vizss too ;)

Also the spins were right, except my girl was toilet trained at 8 weeks and has the bladder from heaven!! :eek: Even in the 'bad' spin stuff, they say how dependable and even temperament they are :(:):o

Borders are great dogs, my kids grew up with Lakelands (and others!) and they were wonderful :D

Care to elaborate Sheridan?

If you know nothing about a dog, poodlefan, don't recommend it. That's it.

I said the OP might want to "tyre kick" them Sheridan. That's hardly the same as saying "you should definitely get one of these".

I don't profess to be a breed expert but I've met a few and know a breeder. They seem like pretty good dogs to me. :eek:

What aspects of the SCW have led you to conclude that one is unsuitable for the OP's situation.? That would probably be more educative for all of us than a line of headbanging emoticons.

Edited by poodlefan

Care to elaborate Sheridan?

If you know nothing about a dog, poodlefan, don't recommend it. That's it.

I said the OP might want to "tyre kick" them Sheridan. That's hardly the same as saying "you should definitely get one of these".

I don't profess to be a breed expert but I've met a few and know a breeder. They seem like pretty good dogs to me. :eek:

What aspects of the SCW have led you to conclude that one is unsuitable for the OP's situation.? That would probably be more educative for all of us than a line of headbanging emoticons.

I wasn't actually banging my head about the OP, I was banging my head about you. The wheaten sheds, poodlefan. It is not a non-shedding dog. As I said, if you don't know anything about a dog, don't recommend one.

As to the OP, as I have said previously, I haven't yet read a 'recommend a breed to me' thread that has made me think of suggesting a wheaten and this one isn't about to make me change my mind. Low maintenance is hardly the wheaten's raison d'être

Edited by Sheridan

I wasn't actually banging my head about the OP, I was banging my head about you.

Yeah, I got that.

The wheaten sheds, poodlefan. It is not a non-shedding dog. As I said, if you don't know anything about a dog, don't recommend one.

Well, considering that before I posted I checked my understanding of the breed's non-shed coat on the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Society of NSW Website that says this:

their non shed coat which simply needs a thorough brush at least once a week

perhaps you might now understand my error. Seems to me you'd better start educating the breed club too. :(

All breeds shed Sheridan. Poodles included. They shed into their coats though, they don't drop hair. I falsely believed that SCW's were the same. Best you correct the Wikipedia entry for the breed as it contains the same error.

Edited by poodlefan

Their coats can need quite a bit of work PF. We have one that comes into work who we groomed as well as staying in the daycare and you could literally see him matting up before your eyes! I know they are not all like that but this one certainly was!