What Can You Expect To Pay For A Saint Bernard

I don't know about Saint Bernards in particular, but in our research on dogs it would seem that budgeting for around $2,000 for a purebreed doggie from a good breeder would be safe. :eek: If it's less than that, then more to spend on toys :hug:

I don't know about Saint Bernards in particular, but in our research on dogs it would seem that budgeting for around $2,000 for a purebreed doggie from a good breeder would be safe. :eek: If it's less than that, then more to spend on toys :hug:

Sounds about right. :rofl:

$2000 seems like a lot... Maybe for a show quality

I guess it depends on the breed. I would have thought $800 would be average for a purebred, but I guess it is $2000 for a rarer breed.

I'd love to get a bernese mountian dog (just based on looks!), I've heard they are a couple of $1000 to buy.

Personally, I would find a good breeder I am happy with, and not be too concerned with price (within reason, probably couldn't afford more than 2000 tho)

I guess it depends on the breed. I would have thought $800 would be average for a purebred, but I guess it is $2000 for a rarer breed.

I'd love to get a bernese mountian dog (just based on looks!), I've heard they are a couple of $1000 to buy.

Personally, I would find a good breeder I am happy with, and not be too concerned with price (within reason, probably couldn't afford more than 2000 tho)

I think $800 is at the low end of the scale. I dont think there really is an average for purebreeds, the prices between breeds varys as does the price with a breed. I think around the $1500-$2000 mark would be pretty spot on for a saint, thats just going off what Ive heard thou.

Hi Frenchiegirl, come into the Saint thread and say hello if you want to chat about the breed or have anymore questions :hug: Plenty of konwledgeable people in there who are always willing to help.

As a price guide, $1500 to $2000 is about average for a pet. For a show prospect, the sky could be the limit, it would depend on the breeder and the lines.

ETA: Also just would like to add....the initial purchase price for a Saint Bernard is cheap compared to the ongoing costs involved in correctly raising a puppy and providing all the dog needs for the rest of it's life. EVERYTHING and I mean everything is dearer for a giant breed: worming, desexing, flea treatments, beds, bowls, leads, food, etc!

Edited by cassie

Here is an interesting thread with some prices of purebreed dogs, but doesn't seem to have info for Saints on there.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=153400

Not necessarily, one of my dogs is a rare breed and she cost less than $1000, it varies between breeders and breeds. I know someone who sells them for $350 more than I paid though.

Yes I agree that you should find a breeder you like that health tests and breeds to improve, especially for a breed like a St Bernard.

I thought $1500-$2000 would be a good price, considering what you get out of it by buying purebred. And the massive amount you'd be spending on toys, beds, etc, because you just cannot resist buying puppy things. Truly, you can't. It's like a medical condition or something.

My intended bulldog puppy is costing us $3000-$4000, pet home only, so feel lucky!

I thought $1500-$2000 would be a good price, considering what you get out of it by buying purebred. And the massive amount you'd be spending on toys, beds, etc, because you just cannot resist buying puppy things. Truly, you can't. It's like a medical condition or something.

My intended bulldog puppy is costing us $3000-$4000, pet home only, so feel lucky!

I second that. You can't put a price on that early socialization.

Find a breeder you click with and go from there.

Awww st bernards are gorgeous!

I dont think price should matter if you are getting the dog you want. I'd happily pay any price for any dog just about.

I would like a dogue one day and was always looking at them at home in NZ and they were never less than $2500 (they are a bit cheaper now though)....and my partner wants a bulldog, which will be our next dog and in NZ they are usually about $2000-2500 but we have noticed here we will be looking at another $1000 on top of that.

We dont mind, dogs are priceless

Awww st bernards are gorgeous!

I dont think price should matter if you are getting the dog you want. I'd happily pay any price for any dog just about.

I would like a dogue one day and was always looking at them at home in NZ and they were never less than $2500 (they are a bit cheaper now though)....and my partner wants a bulldog, which will be our next dog and in NZ they are usually about $2000-2500 but we have noticed here we will be looking at another $1000 on top of that.

We dont mind, dogs are priceless

I wouldn't of thought you'd get any breed papered for $800 well maybe a stb

My Pet Australian Shepherd on limited register cost me $800. Atleast to purchase anyway..

We got a rare breed show prospect bitch for $800.

Aussie Shepherds you are looking at closer to $1000 for a pet. But then with Aussies there is more outlay in health testing parents than there is for the rare breed.

There are a few breeds that are cheaper than $800, Tenterfields go for $550 - $600 and I've seen other breeds for about that too.