Kennel Cough

Teal

My boxer puppy Polly had her 12 week vaccinations 10 days ago (although she was actually 13

weeks old as I ended up having to reschedule her appointment)

including the nasal drops/spray for kennel cough.

I am pretty sure she has now developed kennel cough! Over the past week she has been coughing

a lot like she is choking/gagging (particularly when

she first wakes up) and has a snotty nose. I also don't think she has

really been eating very much (although I can't really be sure

as she and my other dog eat out of each others bowls) and has

been quite tired.

I have made an appointment for her to go to the vet tonight but

want some opinions and further knowledge in the meantime.

I don't see how she could possibly have picked up kennel cough, as the only places she has been

in her entire life ( well, since being with me from 8 weeks old anyway) is my home with my other dog, who is

fully vaccinated and healthy, my parents home with their fully vaccinated and healthy dog, and the

vet last week for her jabs. The only possibilty I can think of

is if my older dog picked up germs on a walk and it didn't affect him

because of his vaccination....is this possible? Or that she caught

it at the vet, either from another dog's

germs, or a reaction to the vaccination.

The vet nurse or receptionist I spoke to said it wasn't possible for the vaccination/nasal spray to cause

kennel cough, but I have read a few differing opinions online and

just wanted some more idea on what it is likely to be?!

Thanks in advance :sleep:

Kennel cough is the canine equivalent of the human flu so you or any person she's been in contact with could have passed it on to her on their clothing or hands, as well as your own dog or your parent's dog as you mentioned.

NO vaccination is 100% effective in all animals (or people) all the time so the fact that she is vaccinated may help make this dose of KC less severe but it's not a guarantee she won't catch it in the first place - she could have caught a different variety which the vaccine doesn't cover anyway. Just like the human flu, KC mutates over time and from area to area. Yes, some dogs do develop the disease after being vaccinated and in some cases the only explanation may appear that they "caught" the disease from the vaccine.

KC is not usually a major issue in a healthy dog, so don't be too stressed about it.

I've had dogs who are vaccinated get KC a few times.

It's just one of those things, I have a vet actually who dosn't like to vacc against it as he strongly believes it does nothing at all and the other vet in the same clinic swears by it.

This happened to my cav when I go her. had the nasal spray, then developed KC/pneumonia.

Unfortunately there was also a plane trip involved, so she could have caught it from any dog that traveled on the plane. (this is why I am very sad to see many rescue dogs being flown before any quarantine outside of the pound :sleep:

Vaccinations are never 100% and they require some time in the system to build up resistance in the body...

I posted a few weeks about this - My dog had has Canine cough every year that she has been vaccinated... She was not vaccinated last year... and didnt get it. I will never again vaccinate for it

It is very easy to catch, another dog at the vets may have had it and passed it on

Have a search and there are some good threads on this (I know my dog had it a few weeks back). I didn't go to the vets as the advice was that unless they get an infection in their throat from coughing there is no need for antibiotics. My girl had it quite bad, I just gave her regular honey (although Active Manuka Honey is recommended) in water to soothe her throat. She got over in a week.

This is no reflection on you, Teal - perhaps more on the information given out (or not) by Vets (???) but I'm amazed at how many people who still think that vaccinating their dog to Canine Cough means their dog won't get it, and who are not aware that it is also an airborne thing, and who are not aware that there are 100's of different strains of it for which vaccination doesn't cover.

Edited by Erny

My cavalier girl was vaccinated against KC this year and for the first time, our vet used a nasal spray. Well, my girl developed an intermittent cough and an unpleasant runny nose (ick) for two weeks afterwards and was a tad poorly, though our vet, whom we admire greatly, said not to worry, it was an upper respiratory reaction, only, and would pass. Well, she was right - it did pass, eventually, without any lingering difficulties.

The problem with not inoculating is that in an emergency, no kennel or temporary home will care for your dog without proof of inoculation, and for me, this is always a consideration.

Inoculations and vaccinations are a controversial topic, always. However, a friend's young dog contracted parvo although he'd been vaccinated against it. What it meant was that Bozo survived but probably mightn't have done so without the vaccination. In my opinion, all pre-emptive treatments merely give our dogs a better than fighting chance, not 100% protection.

My cavalier girl was vaccinated against KC this year and for the first time, our vet used a nasal spray. Well, my girl developed an intermittent cough and an unpleasant runny nose (ick) for two weeks afterwards and was a tad poorly, though our vet, whom we admire greatly, said not to worry, it was an upper respiratory reaction, only, and would pass. Well, she was right - it did pass, eventually, without any lingering difficulties.

The problem with not inoculating is that in an emergency, no kennel or temporary home will care for your dog without proof of inoculation, and for me, this is always a consideration.

Inoculations and vaccinations are a controversial topic, always. However, a friend's young dog contracted parvo although he'd been vaccinated against it. What it meant was that Bozo survived but probably mightn't have done so without the vaccination. In my opinion, all pre-emptive treatments merely give our dogs a better than fighting chance, not 100% protection.

i get what you are saying, but plenty of kennels will take dogs in if they have only had a C3, not all dogs need the canine cough vaccine

Also, its a non issue here for me, there is no kennels here I would leave my dogs at, so if something happened, other arrangements would have to be made

Just like people colds there are many different KC strains - the vaccine only covers one or two of them and from several seasons ago.

After working as a vet nurse (and reading the vet press mags which state that they only work in certain situations) I stopped giving KC Vacs to our dogs and none of them have had KC. During the bad time of the year though and if there is alot of it around and because we go to dog shows where some people exhibit their dogs regardless of what is wrong with them :D - I do give them a natropathic solution for KC which boosts their immunity and stops them picking up the bug.

It does work when they do have it as well and they are better in 3 days or so - it may work for your kid, better than antibiotics if you don't need them. A child strength cough syryp is good for their throats as well (always used this when vet nursing) - just make sure its a flavour they will swollow and get a syringe from the chemist to administer it as well, a warm chicken broth is good if the throat is too sore for them to eat and lastly a warm environment and a warm cosy bed for the night. Just like us when we get a cold :D. (I take the dogs KC drops over winter as well :laugh: - so it works to people to prevent colds).

Contact Carol Freeman K9 Kinesiology and Natropathy - 03 9796 8330 - if you are interested & ask for the Kennel Cough Drops.

Nandi got the Intranasal Kennel cough vaccine last Wednesday and since Saturday she had this terrible runny nose and it is getting worse, she is sleepy and not feeling well..... I googled after effects of the vaccine and this is what I found.

Nasal and/or ocular discharge and sneezing:

Live intranasal vaccines including the kennel cough vaccines (parainfluenza virus, Bordetella +/- canine adenovirus) and intranasal cat flu vaccines (feline herpes virus - FHV - and feline calicivirus - FCV) can induce mild signs of the disease that they are designed to prevent, with a watery ocular and nasal discharge and sneezing (occasionally coughing) being the most common signs. These signs tend to develop 3-4 days following intranasal vaccination.

Vaccination and prevention

More commonly, for best protection an intranasal vaccine containing both Parainfluenza and Bordetella is used. Intranasal vaccines create localized immunity that greatly reduces the incidence of clinical signs and illness. There are several precautions and warnings that need to be observed pertaining to this vaccine. Some dogs will develop mild signs similar to kennel cough when given this vaccine. Very often the symptoms will last for several days and the dog will recover without treatment. Dogs that are vaccinated can also shed the virus and cause other dogs to become mildly infected and show mild signs. This shedding usually last less than 72 hours. In addition it takes up to 4 days after vaccination for dogs to develop protection. When you combine these facts you will see why I strongly recommend that a dog not be given intranasal vaccine within 72 hours of coming into contact with other susceptible dogs. Do not give the vaccine the day before a dog show, boarding etc. Try to give at least four days before contact with other dogs and preferably 7 days. This way you'll protect your dog from becoming infected by other dogs, and protect those dogs from becoming infected by yours.

This vaccine is not without it's problems. It is a very effective vaccine but it must be used carefully and is generally only recommended for dogs that are at high risk. If your dog is not shown, boarded, or comes into contact with stray dogs, your dog is considered low risk.