Where Is The War Dog Memorial In Goolwa?

Robbi

This Saturday 26/6 at 11am there is going to be a memorial service in Goolwa, South Australia for Herbie, the bomb detection dog killed in action in Afghanistan. the general public has been invited to attend with their dogs.

I would like to attend this service but I cant work out where the actual memorial is in Goolwa, can anybody give me directions please :laugh:

Hi Robbie:)

We live in Goolwa (since late last year) , but for the life of me can't remember where it is exactly! :laugh:

I know we have walked past the dog statue at some stage ages ago. Hmmm I'll try to find out for you. It might be about it in the local paper that comes out this Thursday. (I'll have a look)

Its not a huge town, you think I would know where exactly it is wouldn't you! :D

I'm thinking it might be somewhere along the wharf ...

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I can't remember where, either, and I have seen it a couple of times :D It's a lovely thing...

*goes googling....

It is persephone:)

I've tried googling and have found images of it, but it doesn't say exactly where in Goolwa it is :laugh:

I just keep thinking I've seen it somewhere near the wharf on a path somewhere near there ?

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Have you googled Australian Army Trackers & War Dogs Association?

For Queenslanders, there's a War Dogs Memorial on the walking track beside the ocean at Alexandra Headland, on the Sunshine Coast.

I don't know if a ceremony is planned there, too. Herbie was a Qld dog, originally rescued from Redcliffe Pound. He & his handler were based at the Enoggera Barracks here. Herbie's collar was placed with his master's slouch hat on the coffin at the funeral. Also the Brisbane News said Herbie will be cremated in Afghanistan & his ashes given to his master's widow.

Here's the Qld memorial....which has a water bowl built in for passing dogs to have a drink.

post-3304-1277163408_thumb.jpg

Me, too, JC, can only find mention of the site in Goolwa....but not exactly where.

BUT i did find the Forum on the Army Trackers & War Dogs Association website, where the men who are organising the ceremony, give the details.

I went all blubbery when they said the community are welcome to bring their pet dogs to celebrate Herbie's life.

Says they'll probably have refreshments later at the local RSL....so good advice to phone RSL Goolwa & ask for actual location. Or it seems the forum is open to public, could ask there. Also looks like people not able to go the the Goolwa service, can leave a tribute to Herbie on that forum....somebody already has.

http://www.aussiewardogs.org/node/115

Edited by mita

I found it by mistake on Sunday. Esky had a drink.

If you drive to the Goolwa train station and park there it is easy to walk too.

Walk across the train tracks, take a right onto the wharf . Keep walking that way. The wharf will end and turn into a path. You will find the war dog memorial on that path. You'll know you've gone to far when the path turns into a road.

I found it by mistake on Sunday. Esky had a drink.

If you drive to the Goolwa train station and park there it is easy to walk too.

Walk across the train tracks, take a right onto the wharf . Keep walking that way. The wharf will end and turn into a path. You will find the war dog memorial on that path. You'll know you've gone to far when the path turns into a road.

Oh now i know where it is ETH.. I was on the right track before then :laugh:

I might go down there Sat morning then, not sure if we will take the Cavs tho, as their yapping might be a bit of a distraction :laugh:

well we are going soon to it. Taking Joey and Renae. Hopefully Renae behaves herself in public ! :)

If anyone is going DH and I will be there with the Cavs( in a red jumper and pink parka.) being walked by a chubby short woman lol, and a thin good looking man(my DH) lol

well we are going soon to it. Taking Joey and Renae. Hopefully Renae behaves herself in public ! :)

If anyone is going DH and I will be there with the Cavs( in a red jumper and pink parka.) being walked by a chubby short woman lol, and a thin good looking man(my DH) lol

I am glad you are going, I feeling awful seeing that I started the thread and I now haven't been able to go myself :o hopefully there will be a good turn out of people to show their support. I may be sitting at work but in spirit I am at Goolwa.

I am glad you are going, I feeling awful seeing that I started the thread and I now haven't been able to go myself :cry: hopefully there will be a good turn out of people to show their support. I may be sitting at work but in spirit I am at Goolwa.

Thats ok Robbi ;)

It was a fantastic turn out, and the rain even held off !! :cry:

There would have been about roughly 200 people and quite a lot of dogs! ;)

I am happy to report that even tho Joey and Renae started out a bit silly, they behaved very well this morning once we walked to the memorial site. (and we were very close to many dogs of all sizes! Joey even sniffed the nose of lovely looking greyhound ! :cry: In fact all the dogs seemed to be very well behaved despite how full on it was !

Hubby took some pics, will share some in this thread when he gets around to them.

They had a morning tea at the local RSL hall after.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Thanks for the update, JC. Sounds like a very moving service for Herbie. And the dogs attending seemed to capture the spirit.

Look forward to the pics.

I hope they plan something for the War Dog Memorial beside the sea at Alexandra Headland in Qld. Herbie should be honoured in his home state.

Last Friday, friends had to attend a function in the Clontarf/Redcliffe area where he was recruited by the army. They said they were going to 'Herbie Country'.