Is There Anyone Who Does Not Have A Heart Dog?

Bubitty

We often see threads about heart dogs and I wonder if anyone here does not have one? Anyone have dogs that you honestly bond with equally?

I always thought Bubby was the one. I truly did, I never thought any other dog could measure up to him. Then along came Bitty and while she is COMPLETELY different to Bubby, she really does tug at my heartstrings in her own Bitty Yum Yum way!

Bubby is mellow and has this wonderful sense of calm and serenity about him. He is my rock and I am very much in love with him. I think I revere him a little and there is that touch of magic between us. He is very much “mine” and over the years it feels like we are equals. I depend on him for certain things.

Bitty, I completely adore. She is my baby and we shared an entire puppyhood so I always want to protect her and make sure her world is a happy happy place. Bitty is my PERFECT golden! She is a glorious combination of sunshine and rainbows. She is my training buddy and my play buddy. While I don’t think I am her favourite person in the family (She has a very long winded love affair with my OH), we can play until the cows come home and just have so much fun together. This is something that Bubby and I don’t share.

So anyone on here NOT have a heart dog?

Yes, me.

I love all my dogs. They've all got different personalities. I will miss each and every one of them when they go the the bridge.

I can't honestly say that I'll miss one above all others.. but maybe I haven't met my heart dog yet. :champagne:

I have two GSD boys and while I really love them (despite their best efforts to drive me insane) ... I don't think I really love them as much as I did our rottie that died just over 2 years ago. He was definately my heart dog.

I think it was just him and his personality. I have always loved the big boxy rotties and he was definately that but he also had this unconditional love just for me. He was my brothers work dog but I was the one he chose to love - he wouldn't have a bar of my brother once he stopped working. He used to get to excited to see me once I got home that nothing else mattered to him. My two now seem more interest in knowing if I have food for them.

He would have protected me with his life without a second thought - he always stepped forward when he felt I was at risk. He had the most sweet loving nature which he seems to save just for me. I even get a little teary every time I think of him and know he won't be waiting for me at home.

post-1668-1277183885_thumb.jpg

post-1668-1277183921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tilly

I think a heart dog can also depend on the path you have taken with them. My heart dog Sweep has been through all the ups and downs with me over the past 7 years (and me with his!) and maybe, just because I have had him the longest, brings about that special bond also. I love all of my other dogs very much and have a strong bond with them... but there is something extra about Sweep.

I think my feelings towards this issue have changed. I have loved every dog in my care for their uniqueness and because they have needed me I guess. Only one dog has ever been one I chose myself - the rest are rescues that never left. But just over 2 years ago a young staffy girl came into my life and I just adore her to pieces and can't even imagine leaving her for more than a couple of days, even with family. She is just a normal dog - smoochy, funny, naughty, cute. But she has come into my life at a time when I needed her as much as she needed a home. As far as dogs go her needs have been very simple - food, shelter, exercise/play. No health issues and minimal behavioural issues. Loves everyone and everything. Always grateful for whatever comes her way. But for some reason she and I have a bond that means I can't be too far from her. I'm not sure it is reciprocated but she certainly knows when I need her affection or need to be left alone. I enjoy every single minute in her company.

Is she my heart dog? She certainly is for the last couple of years and hopefully well into the future but I don't know if she will be the only one during my lifetime? Maybe it is me that has changed and not the dog????

My heart dog is waiting for me on the other side of Rainbow Bridge.

Every dog I've ever owned, currently own or will own is special in their own way and bring something unique to my life but there is one dog that owns my heart and will forever.

post-2621-1277187493_thumb.jpg

I love all my dogs. They've all got different personalities. I will miss each and every one of them when they go the the bridge.

Me too but I have a heart dog.

My partner has yet to have a heart dog; though he does have a current order of favourites, it changes and is more about recent behaviour than the dog's personality.

It's hard to say which dog is more or less a "heart" dog.

Even tho our first Dobe was supposed to be my DH's dog, I was home most and she was pretty much mine. She also was my defender, chasing off intruders etc. She even used to keep to the property boundaries even tho we had no fences at the time. How the heck did sghe know where the boundaries were? But she did. She chased that guy right to the footpath before she left him. She stopped right at the fence line - even without a fence there.

As soon as she knew where all the family were and was satisfied they were safe, she would came back to me.

Kaisie does exactly the same thing. She too will defend any of the family. She is my velcro dog too.

The rescue Poodle I got as a teen will always be special too. She had bad canker and would sit and cry while I cleaned and rubbed the medication into her ears.

Never, ever, not once did she try to bite me - or even snap. So we had a pretty specail bond too. When she could not see where I was, she used to put her nose to the ground and track me down. ;) That was really funny when I got on a horse one day and the scnet track stopped mid-paddock. She kept going back and re-teacking - to the exact spot! :grouphug:

I guess it is also a timing thing. Each of those, in a way, were there at a time I needed them, and for at least two of those above, they needed me in some way.

So, just because a dog seems to be the most special in the world, doesn't mean another will not come along and also be just as special, if in a different way.

Kaisie is 11 now and well past the normal age span for a Dobe. I will probably have her for a little while yet. But the idea of going past a Dobe for my next dog scares me something terrible. I do fear I will not "connect" with another breed.

You can not choose your heart dog, you choose each other and they leave an irreplaceable hole in your heart. You never know who they will be, they just are. In some ways I wish my heart boy never touched me the way he did as I can never get that bond again and even now I am crying at the thought of living without him even though it has been several years. I have struggled to force myself to create that same bond again but you can't and there is a reason for that and until we meet again we won't realise the true meaning of why they came into our lives. His ashes will be buried with me so that we can enter into our new life together and forever.

You can not choose your heart dog, you choose each other and they leave an irreplaceable hole in your heart. You never know who they will be, they just are. In some ways I wish my heart boy never touched me the way he did as I can never get that bond again and even now I am crying at the thought of living without him even though it has been several years. I have struggled to force myself to create that same bond again but you can't and there is a reason for that and until we meet again we won't realise the true meaning of why they came into our lives. His ashes will be buried with me so that we can enter into our new life together and forever.

This is exactly how I feel about Spike and losing him.

I started a similar thread a while ago not exactly the same thing but I find it really hard to say out of all of mine if one of them is my heart dog. Im like PF, mine are all equally special in different ways they are all very different with a wide variance in personality.

When I really analyze it with my lot I can't pick one over the other as a heart dog and I think it comes down to the fact that they are all so close in age and I have bonded with all of them really equally.

So many people ask me who is my favorite, I guess that I would pick a fav if I had a heart dog but I just don't I love them all so much and would be equally devestated if something happened to any of them.

Actually I retract the bolded part of my last sentence because people say you can't have more than one heart dog but I disagree with that, I have 4!! ;)

I loved my dobe girl, Danika but how I felt about her and how I feel about Zero are two entirely different things - I could burst into tears now about losing him, even though it's probably years away. I don't know how to describe it other than to say he's special ;)

What's a heart dog? Sorry i am a little confused

A dog that you love best/have a special incomparable bond with.

I agree with the second part, but disagree with the description that you love that dog the best.

I can say, without a doubt, that I love and have loved all my dogs equally but Spike is the one whom I had the incomparable bond wit (I actually believe I still have that bond, because he is no longer physically here does not mean spiritually he is also gone).

My opinion, and my opinion only, is that if you have to *think* about who your heart dog is or could be- then the answer is easy- you don't have one yet ;)