Soft Toy Destruction

koalathebear

We considered not giving Elbie plushies anymore since he chews them but out of all of Elbie's toys, he likes his plushies the most...

Poor horse. He only lasted a month or two before losing his limbs and becoming unravelled ...

casualty01.jpg

Poor Badger - he's been with us as long as Elbie is and so he has been with us for several months now. Alas, he no longer has ears.

casualty02.jpg

He also no longer has a tail and we keep patching him up. He has had so many butt-tucks that in the end I had to use patches over his increasingly tight posterior. We can't bear to retire him, though because Elbie uses him as a pillow at night.

casualty03.jpg

Poor toy dog, we had to pre-emptively remove his eyes, which made us feel like psycopaths... Elbie is picking off the poor toy dog's limbs one limb at a time and you can see the stuffing protruding from the poor toy dog's mouth ... It seems like Elbie's trying to remove his smile! More surgery to come ...

casualty05.jpg

Poor beaver ... his facial reconstruction surgery is not going well .. The squeakers still work and Elbie seems like squeaking his toys most when I'm on the phone having a Serious Conversation :rofl:

casualty04.jpg

Does anyone else have any images to share of mauled toys? :(

Edited by koalathebear

The Mini Schnauzer, Asja, my family had when I was young chewed all the noses off my soft toys lol. And she would always try to steal a particular large teddy bear of mine, one day we came home and found the bear wedged half in and half out of the dog door! :laugh:

She never destroyed her own toys though!

James isn't naturally a shredder, but I accidentally got into the habit of playing tug with his stuffed toys :laugh: Inevitably, they split seams and were promptly disemboweled. His whale was the first to go and the funniest - he now just has a cloth whale with no innards. The elephant has the ends of its tusks shredded and lacks stuffing in his head. That was actually sad as he loves his elephant so much.

Your patching jobs are excellent! I contemplated resewing J.'s toys but I'm sure they it would cause more harm than good/

I have a dog who has to destuff toys too, so I bought him some Skinneez:

skinneez.jpg

They have no stuffiing so he doesn't feel like he has to kill with them, but he stillplays with them :mad

I buy my girl a soft toy from the op shop once a month and let her go for it. She has a system of destruction she likes to follow with each. And I always pick brightly coloured toys that don't look like real animals. Not sure if it helps but it makes the backyard colourful!

My pup loves stuffed toys - we're onto the third. First she had a stuffed bone. That had the squeaker pulled out and one of the sides of the bone pulled off and the stuffing removed. Second was a lady bug. That lost all of its legs and got dunked in the mud and my OH decided it was disgusting and threw it out. Yesterday, I took her to Pet Domain because they allow dogs to come in, and she picked out her own toy. It's brightly coloured, looks kind of like a bowling pin and has two squeakers in different sides. She won't let go of it, though the first thing she did when she got it home was dunk it in her water bowl. :mad

The only ones that have been torn apart in this house is through tug of war injuries. They eventually pull them apart adn I find some stuffing around the house.

Bob is pretty good with his stuffed toys. He will lick at them for a long time and chew off some bits but they usually last years.

I had a gorgeous pink elephant that I found for Ziva when she was a wee pup (back then, she was known as the Fearless Elephant Wrangler :rofl: ), and somehow, it lasted through her puppyhood and was then only brought out on special occasions. When she had her own litter, her babies grew up with it and played with it, slept on it, chewed it etc but it still survived :laugh: UNTIL somehow, sometime 3 weeks ago, someone found it (it was kept up high for safety) and TORE IT'S EYES OUT!!! It had giant, embroidered eyes, and all was intact after the mauling except the gaping wounds where each eye should have been :) :) I was so upset, it was meant to be a family heirloom :p

;) Okay, seriously, it was upsetting. And there was nothing we could do but lay Elephant to rest :rofl:

It's known as 'operating' here, undo the stitching, remove some of the white fluffy stuff and locate the squeeker, remove that...the end!

My goodness - Elbie's absolute favourite part of the toy is making it squeak :laugh: Yesterday we bought some new balls that squeak, thinking that they would be more able to withdraw the Jaws of Elbie ... He drove me nuts for a while with the squeaking but then quickly dequeaked the first one. We gave him another - when the squeaking got out of control, we secretly swapped back the broken squeakless ball and Elbie looked very puzzled at why his new toy was suddenly so unresponsive ;)

skinneez.jpg

They have no stuffiing so he doesn't feel like he has to kill with them, but he stillplays with them :cheer:

These look awesome......where did you get them from???

I'm always peforming "surgery' here. Some last longer than others. For some reason the really cheap IKEA rat is still totally intact...well apart from a little end piece of tail missing, where as the purple elephant had multiple amputations before he was too far gone.

I would definately like to try some skinneez though if I can find where to buy from.

Edited by fiveplusone

Your patching jobs are excellent! I contemplated resewing J.'s toys but I'm sure they it would cause more harm than good/

I have to confess that Elbie does have a particularly naughty habit of concentrating on bits that I've JUST repaired. I can HEAR him ripping up the seams I've just stitched! In the early days I tried stitching neatly with correctly coloured cloth but then as I realised that Elbie as just going to be the world's largest stitch unpicker - I just went random with the thread colour and made my stitches big and sloppy :cheer:

amypie: the Skinneez look very practical but a little little bit scary :laugh:

shellsboers: Hahahahaha! I admit, we do feel a pang of sympathy for the poor stuffed animals ... they suffer so much!

evolving: sometimes Elbie will be chewing away quietly and look up at us with stuffing hanging from his mouth - I'm never sure whether to find it gruesome or funny :laugh:

They have no stuffiing so he doesn't feel like he has to kill with them, but he stillplays with them :cheer:

We don't have to buy skinneez - when our young Golden girl destuffs her plush toys we leave them for her to play with - dead teds - and she gets as much (probably more) enjoyment out of them as she does out of new ones... :laugh:

WHat age does the desctruction start? So far my puppy hasn't managed to destroy any toys yet but I'm sure it will come as she gets her adult teeth and her mouth gets bigger!

I thing you either have a suffed toy destroyer or you don't. Same as how some dogs love balls and others don't give a toss (joke!). My youngest is really the first dog I have ever owned that had a thing for soft stuffed toys and fleecy tuggies and fleecy pom pom balls. I spent a fortune on kongs that you put food inside and even though she loves her snacks she has no interest in the kongs. Same with rubber toys or balls. No interest. And she has been like this from when I got her at around 12 weeks to now at 2.5 years of age. Never been a problem with any of my other dogs (even though I got them when they were older).