Nail Clippers

I got some guillotine type nail clippers and spent ages training my dog to sit still upside down in my lap so I could clip, but despite getting her used to the clicking noise, the actual clipping of the nail makes her jump. And that's when I found out that no matter how good your dog is, the damn things squeeze the nail and that hurts - whether you miss the quick or not.

And my dog's claws are all black so really hard to tell where the quick is anyway.

If you do a site search - the best way to shorten dogs nail is with a barrel / finger sander attached to a dremmel or ozito. I think the cordless would be easier to work, especially if you plan to trim outside.

there's loads of threads in here.

I looked at the dremel but I would think that it would be really difficult to keep her still long enough to use it.

I need something really sharp as she only has the patience to get one or two done at a time. Bit like taking off a bandaid, the quicker the better. The nail clipper I have at the moment has gone blunt really quickly and will not even make a dent on her nails.

Thanks

I use ones that are like a plyer X Scissor type. They have a sharp blade on each side so the nail doesn't get squeezed like the guillotene ones.

I have had mine for a good ten years, I trim nails every 2 weeks or there abouts and am still using the same nail trimmers.

Can't remember the exact name now though. Will try to remember

I use ones that are like a plyer X Scissor type. They have a sharp blade on each side so the nail doesn't get squeezed like the guillotene ones.

I have had mine for a good ten years, I trim nails every 2 weeks or there abouts and am still using the same nail trimmers.

Can't remember the exact name now though. Will try to remember

The scissor style seems just what I am looking for. I think the guillotine ones will squeeze the nail too much.

If I can get a brand name that would be great.

Thanks

Perhaps drop into a vet or a groomer and ask :thumbsup: You should be able to pick up something reasonable for around $25 or less but stick to the scissor styles as the guillotine style are useless and most dogs hate them. Otherwise try a dremmel :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I hate the guillotine nail clippers - perhaps being left handed doesn`t help.

I use scissor nail clippers. My favourites for large dogs are I think made by wahl, they have a guiding arm to prevent you putting the clippers too far up the nail - although I don`t use it, but for small dogs ie maltese etc I actually use $5 cat nail clippers - mine have lasted for over 3 years and are really easy to use.

Sheer Magic. I can't remember where I bought them, maybe Clipper World or one of the stores on this site. I tried a few pairs but these cut really well. I have bulldogs and their nails are quick thick and difficult to cut normally but these clippers work great. Highly recommended.