How Do You Decide What Breed?

I won't be able to have my own dog for at least 2-3years, but I have been thinking a lot about what breed it will be. I have a shortlist but it is soo hard to decide! Obviously it will depends on my situation at the time, but my shortlist for now is:

1. Aussie (obviously!)

2. Labrador (mindy inspired!)

3. GSP

4. Bernese Mountian Dog

I also really want to get a rescue from the pound or rescue group!

I'm not too bothered with shedding and grooming, but I am finding Mindy's coat quite easy, especially good for wet weather, swimming etc.

I found her to be a bit more full on as a puppy, but very trainable. She already has more tricks and commands than my two previous dogs combined!

I'm not an experienced trainer but I have owned dogs before.

I am quite active and I like to take my dogs for at least 2 x 1hr walks daily

I have a small/medium backyard at the moment but a large house.

I may move during the next couple of years though and I will hopefully have a house with a large backyard (my dream anyway)

I work fulltime, but am able to take my dog to work. There would also be the possibility of more than one dog (so company if alone)

After Clover passed away, I was sure it would be another aussie. I am not sure any dog will ever be able to replace Clover though and I don't know if another Aussie would remind me of her too much

Now I have Mindy, I am quite taken by labs...

I love both breeds, but for different reasons.

I know labs and aussies work for me and are suitable for my lifestyle and training abilities. But I also think GSP's and Berners could work as well...

I also like those kelpie cross type dogs found quite commonly in pounds, but I know there is no guarantee with temperament, health (although I've often found them to be quite hardy) and suitability for my lifestyle.

How do people decide on the breed? Especially if there are 3 or 4 that may be suitable? Do you just get one of each :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I would consider getting more than one dog for sure, but I know temperament matching is important.

I'd be interested to hear what others think would be most suitable for me though (from a more objective and non biased point of view).

I'm also interested to know how others have narrowed down their shortlist of dogs to one...

LOL.. how random.

My boyfriend email me this list this morning out of the blue:

Finnish Lapphund - Terrence Whitaker

Samoyed - Sampson Worthington

Malamute - Maximus Maximus

He has even named our future dogs :confused:

I think my household will always be a Spitz Breed household.

Edited by CW EW

I'm also interested to know how others have narrowed down their shortlist of dogs to one...

I walked into a pound on PTS day. Zero had 4 hours to live. Narrowed down the shortlist pretty quickly :confused:

I looked for a sibe though - i met a bunch of them, loved that i had to think on my feet around them and loved that they wouldn't do anything without a damn good reason to. I think you just neeed to look at what you want in a dog, what your circumstances are and then go and meet quite a few of them so you can see what you might end up with. A couple of friends have labs, Jude is insane, hyperactive and bouncy, Roxy is quiet, calm and always keeps all 4 paws on the ground. 2 completely opposite dogs from the one breed. :whip:

Ridgys came into my life as I wanted a big dog to go out bush with me horseriding. The short list list was RR, Dalmatian and Dobe. I think I was so taken by the ridgy as Id never really seen them before and they are quite easy on the eye!

They are an easy to love breed and while I 'think' I may want another breed I just dont know if Ill ever have another big breed other than ridgys!

Kelpies - have had them in some form (pure and cross) from a kid. I love that they are easy going, want to please you (soooo opposite there to the ridgy :confused: ) and are generally happy energetic dogs!

We will always have Kelpies, I truly think they are my heart breed!!

Sure there are plenty of other breeds i love, but after plenty of research i have decided that i couldnt give them what they need in regards to their general temperament, if you know what i mean. For example, Malamutes and Akitas are so beautiful - but they need alot stronger personality than mine to have one and do them justice! They would just walk all over me! Not good for the dog! Its a good thing there are lots of dogs to complement lots of different human personalities!

Rat

We spent a long time researching breeds before we settled on what we wanted. OH wanted a dog that was "not too big and not too small", and we had a friend who has a Cocker Spaniel x poodle, so he wanted it to be that big or bigger, but not as big as a Malamute. I'd had Hungarian Vizslas as a kid, so they immediately went onto the list, as did labs, because OH loves them. After that, we started researching what breeds suited our lifestyles, and we added Huskies and Samoyeds to the list. After more reading, we crossed off the Vizsla and the lab, and were left with the Husky and Samoyed. OH liked the look of the Husky better (he reckons white dogs get dirty too easily and seeing how dirty Akira gets, he was probably right!) and so we went with a Husky.

I think you really need to read everything you can about the breed your looking at. We got information from breeders about the breed even after we'd chosen a Husky, and that helped us to confirm that it was the perfect dog for us. And I'm certain that we'll always have some sort of Spitz breed.

I chose a lab because I had a lab growing up (DH was never allowed to have a dog, so he was just happy to finally get a dog after 31 years!). I think lots of people are influenced by their childhood dogs. We don't have kids but we'll probably have a baby in the next couple of years, so that was another factor in our thinking. We're also pretty active and love the beach, so a lab also suits our lifestyle.

We'd love to get our puppy a playmate at some point, and now I feel spoilt for choice! I'd love another lab, but I think we'll get a rescue dog and see which one chooses us.

Edited by Guest

Rat I also got my ridgey's to go riding with me ..... had to scrap that idea as my horse hated them and would try kick then etc.

Got my lab as a friend of mine had the sookiest ( is that a word :confused: ) black lab I have ever met, she was always so happy and just loved to sit with people, would even try get on their laps, when I got my ridgey pup I wanted a lab to go with her but my mum said she would prefer another ridgey and so we got 2 ridgey pups.... I waited 11 years until I am now out of home etc to get my lab and he has been worth the wait, I will always have labs now, just love them!!

Lol...i decided on a Bernese being my next breed because one lovely boy basically mobbed me and that was that - but my Bernese is a few years off yet.

If i get another GSD...it will most likely be one of the GSD's from work, either retired, failed or fostered :confused:

Guest Clover

I have a huge 'must have/ will have one day" list :mad. I will just choose the breed (or rescue mutt) that best suits my needs when the time comes.

Easy - Aussies are the prettiest, sweetest and smartest. :) But I'm biased! :mad

As far as getting another Aussie goes, you have the option with colours so you could go a different colour to what Clover was so it doesn't remind you too much of her physically. And each Aussie has such individual markings even within the same colour. In 2-3 years you may well feel ready for another Aussie. :)

I love numerous breeds and would love to own most of them but the Aussies have my heart. I love the looks and I love the personalities. I love how easy they are to live with and be around and how much love they give back. I love the feel and look of the coats and don't care about shedding. I love when they grin and carry toys, I love the wiggle butts.

My family has had Danes for generations, so it wasn't really a choice with me!

Dane-themed drawings, paintings, cross-stitches, statues, posters, stickers, photos, knitted rugs have been all over the houses since I was a tiny baby.

Some basics are the way they work stock and Aussies can be born with bob tails. I'm not sure on what personality differences you would see though as I haven't had much to do with BCs. There tend to be more merled Aussies born than Borders and tri colour (any colour plus white and tan markings on the face and legs) are more common in Aussies. The ears can also be quite different (Aussies are allowed some what heavier ears).

Australian Shepherds are actually an American breed despite the name!

I was just wondering what difference are there between Aussie Shepperd and Border Collie?

When you see them side by side, they are distinctly different as adults, although younger dogs and pups can be very confusing. Aussies are bigger and heavier, with a more solid build. Coats on Aussies tend to be more uniform in length....Borders can be short, long or anywhere in between.

Aussies have a different head.....wider and slightly shorter muzzle, smaller ears. Movement is different too, but I'm not good enough to describe it in words.

Temperament is different although I imagine this crosses boundaries too. Aussies are supposed to be more laid back and mine certainly are, but then some Borders are very laid back too and some Aussies are full on.

They are two different breeds and Border Collies don't figure anywhere in the heritage of Aussies, despite their similar looks.

I do believe in "its meant to be" i came across my pup when i wasnt even lookign for a dog, researched the breed, decided i could handle it and walla :mad my parents also came across their pups the day their other dog died...so it was a tough decision but they were meant to be

So if you like a few maybe when the time is right go to a few breeders and check out their litters, if you just "have" to have one then...its meant to be :) of course make sure you can handle the breed and give it what it needs/wants

People who get to know me well end up with the phrase, 'oh Wolfsong, she would take anything home' :cry:

This isn't totally isn't true.....I love all dogs but can't live with most of them :wave:

What I have found to be the most valuble when deciding on the next breed is to really spend some time with a few.

There have been a good number of breeds that I adore but when spending time with them I have realised I might not be able to give them what they need or they just wont work with the situation I have.

Pick what you just can't go past, the one breed that you keep coming back too . . . . and anyway, no reason you can't have one of each :laugh:

Our next non Samoyed will be a Bullmastiff (OH's choice), after that a Norwegian Elkhound (both his and my choice) and I am still hanging out for a Finnish Lapphund, Afghan, Borzoi and Jap Spitz, hows that for an odd mix :laugh: