Water? Beach?

Marley'z Mum

hi all

Another hopefully not to silly question from me..... I am hoping my 11wk old pup will like the beach, we go a bit in the summer, i am hopin he will like it there an like a swim, however, he really doesnt like his baths much, he tries to climb his way out..... Does this mean he prob wouldnt go in the water at the beach?...... The question seems kinda silly as i type it lol anyway....

I don't think I have met a dog that doesn't like the beach, I always took mine for thier first beach experience somewhere that they could go in the shallow water and no waves so they got used to it. Mine love to play in the beach and will go in the broken waves but prefer to swim in the river or river mouth with no waves. If you are able once your pup is fully vaccinated take him to the beach I'm sure he will love it!!

Just to add to this question: those of you who take your doggies to the beach- how do you know they will be alright going into the water when you let them off leash?

I am terrified that my puppy will go nuts and bolt when he gets off leash and drown or something. Lol.

hi all

Another hopefully not to silly question from me..... I am hoping my 11wk old pup will like the beach, we go a bit in the summer, i am hopin he will like it there an like a swim, however, he really doesnt like his baths much, he tries to climb his way out..... Does this mean he prob wouldnt go in the water at the beach?...... The question seems kinda silly as i type it lol anyway....

I wouldnt be taking him anywhere till 2 weeks after his 12 week old needle

I'm sure he will grow to love it when he is old enough to go. As long as you don't force him in the water, it should be fine.

Cookiez- does your pup have good recall when at a normal park?

I doubt he would bolt into the water and drown himself though!

I personally wouldn't let my dog off leash unless I was reaosnably confident with their recall.

Are you sure he can swim?

I'd avoid surf beaches for a while and find reasonably shallow water where he can be encouraged to retrieve a toy or follow you in.

Safe deeper water and surf for when he's bigger and more confident in the water.

hadnt plan'd on taking him anywhere till he had his needles, not that silly, especially seein as there is alot of parvo round where i live atm....

I dont know if he can swim, was simply curious to know if ppl had dogs that hated there bath but liked the beach....

Again i wont do anything silly, like throw him as far out as i can an see if he can swim bak lol

Marlin loves water any way it comes! We first took Marlin to the beach when she was just 9 weeks old, we were lucky to have access to a very secluded beach that is only available to a few. We introduced her to the rock pools at low tide first of all, it was such a joy to watch her reactions. She went for her first swim very soon after, safely in my arms first, then boldly followed us in through the waves almost immediately. She still goes to the beach most days and jumps right in, even when the surf is up, brrr, not me! She has her own life jacket for when we go out in the boat and is quite happy to get lowered over the side to join me for a swim!

I agree with taking it slowly and see how your pup reacts first tho.

Have fun :vomit:

Billie is not terribly keen on the bath experience but loves water and the beach. I am not 100% confident in her recall yet so I take her on long lead - she can swim, sniff and run around just fine. Eventually I hope we get a strong recall down pat so she can go free but in the meantime I won't take the risk.

We were lucky when introducing her to the beach - a 'dog outing' was on and the helpful woman in charge sent her dogs in to the water after a play on the sand and Billie just followed without hesitation.