Agility Training Talk Thread

Snooker - You need to get a red bar, a non-coloured obstacle, another red bar, a non-coloured obstacle, another red bar and a third non-coloured obstacle and then begin your closing sequence. You need 10 points in the opening sequence for Novice, once you've completed your opening sequence then the siren goes and then you start on the closing part. Just because you've stuffed the first part doesn't mean you don't get a pass so if the judge sounds the siren before you've done your 3 red bars, finish the closing sequence anyway because if you've got your 10 points then you've still on a pass.

Gamblers - that sounds nothing like our Gamblers here GG. Best way to run gamblers is find yourself a nice smooth path with plenty of high scoring obstacles. Some people run their dog over a dog walk (3 points) and then back over it but I find if you keep moving and include the higher incidentals like spreads, broads, tunnels and tyres (all 2 points) then you'll pick up points very quickly. You need 20 points in Novice and you have 45 seconds to get them before they sound the siren to begin the gamble. You can do an obstacle in the gamble but only one at a time, but if you knock a bar then you've lost your gamble and you miss the pass. It's best to stay out unless there is a tunnel in there.

http://www.ankc.org.au/Rules.aspx

Rules are above.

One thing to be aware of - games can confuse a relatively inexperienced dog so be really disciplined in your handling. Snooker can require you to have to run your dog past an obstacle which is in their path but not take it, yet they'd be required to in a normal course. Gamblers has no refusals in the points accumulation period and I've seen a few people get sloppy with their handling because they pick their own path and it doesn't matter if the dog misses an obstacle.

I ran Snooker with my dog once but the running past an obstacle in her path really threw her. I could run it again now because she's more experienced but it's not a game I like. I find Gamblers much more fun :laugh:

Edited by Jess.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:thumbsup: join the club Vickie. We are presently working on handler not being an optional accessory item on course. That will teach me to try and run her when I should have stayed home in bed.

Ok I got a dreaded training question while we are a little quiet. How the hell do you guys train the infamous tyre. We had a tyre set up last night as the first jump on the course. I had set Kenz up and done a lead out - first time through the course we had no hassles. Second time I lined her up and released her through the tyre and she took off way to early and nearly hung herself on it. I got told its a training issue that she mistimed it. I know there have been plenty of discussions about tyres on the agility list but what do you guys think - is it an issue that could be avoided by training?

Edited by ness

Speaking of training, we had a course on Sunday that started with a jump into a long straight tunnel. Both my guys got it, but an alarming number of dogs, including some very experienced ones, droppped that first bar. All we could think was that they were starting to duck early for the tunnel. Something extra to train...

Vickie, there was a trial last weekend with a spread at the start of the course....apparently the number of dogs that knocked a bar was amazing!

This is the course we ran at training on Monday night:

I didn't have a chance to watch the video beforehand so it was a steep learning curve! We ran it through without talking about it first - I thought we did ok, considering the stage we are both at and that I slipped over in the mud :laugh: Then we broke it down and tightened up each section. It was great fun :thumbsup:

The week before we had a threadle/serp overload which is JUST what I needed as it's not my strong point. We did the second half of this course but not quite as smoothly as the Derretts :curtsey: :

Speaking of training, we had a course on Sunday that started with a jump into a long straight tunnel. Both my guys got it, but an alarming number of dogs, including some very experienced ones, droppped that first bar. All we could think was that they were starting to duck early for the tunnel. Something extra to train...

What were the handlers doing? Lead out? Running with the dog? I wonder if it were something like an unintention decel which caused the dogs to drop the bar?

What were the handlers doing? Lead out? Running with the dog? I wonder if it were something like an unintention decel which caused the dogs to drop the bar?

It seemed to be happening both with leadout & running. If anything, I think most people were accelerating rather than decelerating.

This is the course we ran at training on Monday night:

WOW, what great runs, interesting course. Kinds of dispels the don't flap your arms theory doesn't it. They're all flapping, but there are no doubts from any of the dogs in the clip.

TSD do you have a new puppy?! :wave:

My training of the youngster has been going well but last week for the first time I had a not so great session with her, I know there were positives though, her contacts were good.

With the jumping, she seems to just do one or two jumps then come to me and jumps at me, I think this is because she thinks she's done one jump so is coming back to get the reward. What's a good way to teach her to go ahead and do the jumps? Throwing a toy? A target? It's mainly on straight lines of jumps, on double boxes I can get quite a few jumps, maybe 8 or so I suppose before she comes to me but maybe that's because I can keep up with her better on the double box?

With the jumping, she seems to just do one or two jumps then come to me and jumps at me, I think this is because she thinks she's done one jump so is coming back to get the reward. What's a good way to teach her to go ahead and do the jumps? Throwing a toy? A target? It's mainly on straight lines of jumps, on double boxes I can get quite a few jumps, maybe 8 or so I suppose before she comes to me but maybe that's because I can keep up with her better on the double box?

Have you done any grid work with her? I found that really useful for teaching them to drive ahead.

Also, I do a lot of foundation stuff teaching them to drive out without any equipment invovled then do the same thing on equipment. We do it both with me level with the toy, starting with them and then for kicks half way between the toy and me - the expectation is that they don't blast past me to the toy.

Throwing a toy can also work - if you do that just make sure you throw it low and with the arm closest do the dog as if you were giving them an instruction on course.

Whatever you do make sure you balance the driving ahead thing with decel - nothing worse than having a dog that will blast along, but take an extra 4 steps because they haven't read a tight turn at the end of a line of jumps.

Hope that helps.

Awww how exciting TSD, she's beautiful :) And yes the cutest puppies are always the naughtiest :rofl:

Thanks AD that does help, no haven't done much grid work really, if I lead out to the end of the grid she will do them but won't drive ahead.

With the driving out with no equipment, how exactly do you do that? :wave: Are you sending the dog to the toy? I'm confused ;)