Agility Training Talk Thread

No she doesn't use stride regulators in the DVD :thumbsup: Just a PVC box and two jumps to make a grid for the groundwork, then the PVC box on the A-Frame contact area.

ETA: On thinking about it, I think from memory a stride regulator may come out in the troubleshooting section - been a while since I've seen the DVD. Can't remember whether all she does is move the position of the box or add stride regulator if they need to get better apex stride.

Edited by Kavik

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question.

For those of you who watch international agility clips on youtube, there is a definite difference between the speed of their fast dogs & the speed of our fast dogs.

What do you think the reasons are for this?

Genetics?

Training methods?

Handling skills?

Different types of courses?

Much higher numbers of dogs?

I think it's possibly a combination of all of these but the training methods account for the majority of it.

Edited by Vickie

Vickie, perhaps a little of human psychology too? You only run as fast you need to run to win (if that's what you're aiming for - not all of us are) so you're only as good as your competition.....make sense? Do you think there are more agility only competitors internationally? That would affect training methods too.

I think the competition is a good point. Also in Europe where you need to place to progress instead of just needing to get a clear round under course time to qualify. Tighter requirements and tough competition would lead to better training and an emphasis on faster times.

Vickie, perhaps a little of human psychology too? You only run as fast you need to run to win (if that's what you're aiming for - not all of us are) so you're only as good as your competition.....make sense? Do you think there are more agility only competitors internationally? That would affect training methods too.

yes I'm sure more competition is an incentive to increase training handling skills. But I don't know anyone here in nsw anyway who doesn't run their fastest due to lack of competition. I can't think of a single dog that can't be beaten by someone. We are regularly seeing less than a second between 1st & 5th. It doesn't just come down to physical speed, one wide turn can move you down a number of places. Dogs that are super fast are often not the winners. The winners are usually a little slower & much tighter.

My girls are a good example, shine is faster but usually gets beaten by trim who is a little slower but much tighter. Shine will get her in the more open courses.

There are lots of screaming fast dogs overseas who can do tight well too. I don't see that combination much here and that I think is mostly a training issue.

Edited by Vickie

Here's a question.

For those of you who watch international agility clips on youtube, there is a definite difference between the speed of their fast dogs & the speed of our fast dogs.

What do you think the reasons are for this?

Genetics?

Training methods?

Handling skills?

Different types of courses?

Much higher numbers of dogs?

I think it's possibly a combination of all of these but the training methods account for the majority of it.

Yes, Training methods and probably access to individual trainers.

It's interesting that Silas Boogk has recently done seminars in the US and Linda Mecklenburg had a working spot...her reasonings for bringing Silas to the US ..

While he's probably best known for his use of blind crosses, I want to bring him over to the USA to inspire us to get more out of our dogs. He doesn't run clean every time (I don't believe that's possible if you are always pushing the envelope), but I can't remember a time when I saw him run clean that he didn't win the round.

So I guess even the top competitors want to improve.

Our dogs here are mostly pets first and foremost. I don't know anyone who trials in agility who is a full time agility trialler/trainer. Being that good is nearly a full time occupation, not just training and fitness but keeping up with the latest info in all aspects of dog sports.

Training absolutely - and access to really good dog trainers, let alone agility trainers. Most of agility here in Vic is taught at volunteer clubs. You're lucky indeed if you have access to a private instructor or a volunteer instructor who continues to develop their knowledge. There is still punishment creeping into training and even trialling, even from experienced handlers and triallers. :cry:

From watching overseas Youtubes it appears that many of the dogs over there are taught to "point and shoot" they take whatever is in their path with the slightest suggestion. Contacts and weavers are consistant and reliable at distance, no matter what the handler is doing. The biggest handicap for speed is nearly always the handler.

Then there is the ability to handle the speed accurately if you do have it, and not lose it with poor training.

Edited by Jess.

Our first night trial since March tomorrow night! I'm excited, love night trials! Though we have a few killer moths around at the moment, great when you have a moth obsessed terrier :cry:

Yep I agree Jess, the top dogs seem to be able to do obstacles more independently. I think they react to things like call offs better though?

Quick question. Is gamblers and snooker a lot easier once you get out there and have a go at it? I've read the rules and I think I get it (just not 100 %) and I'm quite tempted to enter a games trial next month. So basically what I'm asking is, should someone enter a trial if they don't understand it 100%? I'm thinking to fully understand it, it's best to actually have a go, but I'm not sure :cry:

Our first night trial since March tomorrow night! I'm excited, love night trials! Though we have a few killer moths around at the moment, great when you have a moth obsessed terrier :cry:

I saw some mighty fine flying terriers last night....I think you'll do fine! ;)

I entered Gamblers once and scratched - I didn't want to do it because there was no natural course and it seemed confusing running past things and also having mini sets of 4 weavers, probably better for a more stable dog but mine's a bit 'special needs' :rofl: He was also not in a good mood that day. I was glad I scratched because a lot of the dogs I was watching were very confused by it.

Having said that I did do a snooker run in a judges exam once that was fine, it was more flowing and wasn't too spread out.

This thread has good tips on Games: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=187821

Our first night trial since March tomorrow night! I'm excited, love night trials! Though we have a few killer moths around at the moment, great when you have a moth obsessed terrier :rofl:

I saw some mighty fine flying terriers last night....I think you'll do fine! ;)

:laugh: Yes if only he realised he could do it at trials - I broke him somewhere along the way, feel like I'm learning so much lately though because of his broken-ness so it's not all bad! Planning to get some lessons before I break the other one too because of my slowness!

Our first night trial since March tomorrow night! I'm excited, love night trials! Though we have a few killer moths around at the moment, great when you have a moth obsessed terrier :rofl:

I might come down and watch :rofl: I'll be your videographer if you need one! Are you baking and bringing the goon bag? ;)

I'll bring a goon bag (that sounds classy doesn't it - it's not a real goon bag people, don't worry :rofl: ) don't know about baking because I have to work tomorrow but I could probably purchase some delicious goodies so if you're bored come on down! ValleyCBR will be there too but she's stewarding. Video would be awesome.

Quick question. Is gamblers and snooker a lot easier once you get out there and have a go at it? I've read the rules and I think I get it (just not 100 %) and I'm quite tempted to enter a games trial next month. So basically what I'm asking is, should someone enter a trial if they don't understand it 100%? I'm thinking to fully understand it, it's best to actually have a go, but I'm not sure :laugh:

I couldn't really grasp it till I had a go at it. We got our Gamblers title with just three runs, but are struggling with Snooker. I think with Gamblers, if you plan your course right, then your dog doesn't have to run past too many obstacles, if any, & if he does take a wrong obstacle then it is no big deal, providing it is not in the closing sequence. They do need to be able to work at a bit of a distance though (not much for novice). Snooker is another story for us, & I think it is because I have to run a novice dog past certain obstacles & she doesn't yet understand this concept, also this means big distances between the correct obstacles & she tends to lose interest in the game fast. But I am perservering & like to enter everything I can, just for the experience. Each time it gets a little easier. :) Strategic Pairs is another fun game, but our first one was an absolute disaster, but now she understands that the other dog doesn't really need to be rounded up, & you are not allowed to do zoomies through the tunnels & around the course :thumbsup: We are only one run of getting our title there. Only wish getting our Novice Agility Title was as easy :rasberry: We always seem to miss out on that third & final qualie by a whisker.