Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of 2x2... Guess who is doing 6 poles and a jump! :( So proud of Jed! I'm excited to be taking the dogs to my parents place over Christmas - new places to proof their weaving!

Woohoo!!!! Hope I can make some more progress with Millie, soon :)

We need video, TN :o

He's doing really awesome, TN!! You should be totally proud!! You started after I started with Millie and don't we feel like dunces :laugh:

Might go home and film just how terrible she is :laugh: I've never filmed Ruby, might do so, too. Though she can now weave 12 straight poles, her entries aren't always 100% correct and she loses a lot of her speed when she does all 12. So I am going back to 4 and 6 with her at home to increase her speed and improve her entries :D

Thanks girls! I'm very happy with his progress! But don't worry RS -- Soaks is far, far behind him :D

I'd love to see some video of your guys, RS!!!

I filmed some not long ago but it ain't impressive! Millie sucks, my technique for training sucks, and while Ruby "gets" it, she is lacking speed! But the poles aren't pegged down (I can't in my yard, there is so much rock under my grass that I can't get pegs in!) so that is slowing her down some. She barrels through 4 at top speed but get to 6 and the speed disappears :laugh: I will see about uploading some later tonight. Just gotta chop it all down or it will take ages to upload all the faffing about in between! And nobody is interested in that!

Wish my 'indoor training facility' had as much room as yours! Struggling to fit two poles in there!

I wouldn't even fit 1 set indoors :laugh:

Okie doke, here are our first weaving videos.

Ruby -

The first bit in the video I left in for laughs. I hadn't asked her to start yet while I went into the shed but she thought she'd be a showoff and show me she knew exactly what I was going to ask for :thumbsup: And I definitely need to peg the bases down as she's being a bit cautious going through.

Millie -

I left a bit more "in between" stuff in Millie's video as well as her mistakes so that you guys can see where I am having trouble. (Oh and she actually tugged on her toy for the first time ever, was chuffed! So left that in, too :laugh:) She understands to keep on going more so on the right entries, and sometimes on the straight entries, but anything slightly left to the straight entry and she isn't understanding to keep on going. She worked through it a couple of times in the video, but there definitely were more errors than right ones in our session this afternoon (and this morning). Hope it makes it clearer what our problem is by seeing it and hope I can find a solution! And yes, I realise it's me, I just don't know what I'm doing differently between her and Ruby.

Okie doke, here are our first weaving videos.

Ruby -

The first bit in the video I left in for laughs. I hadn't asked her to start yet while I went into the shed but she thought she'd be a showoff and show me she knew exactly what I was going to ask for :thumbsup: And I definitely need to peg the bases down as she's being a bit cautious going through.

Millie -

I left a bit more "in between" stuff in Millie's video as well as her mistakes so that you guys can see where I am having trouble. (Oh and she actually tugged on her toy for the first time ever, was chuffed! So left that in, too :laugh:) She understands to keep on going more so on the right entries, and sometimes on the straight entries, but anything slightly left to the straight entry and she isn't understanding to keep on going. She worked through it a couple of times in the video, but there definitely were more errors than right ones in our session this afternoon (and this morning). Hope it makes it clearer what our problem is by seeing it and hope I can find a solution! And yes, I realise it's me, I just don't know what I'm doing differently between her and Ruby.

The timing of your throws are heaps better for Ruby...also much lower and on the reward line. I think it's just your timing for Millie that's causing the stalling.

Love Ruby's weave action.

Wow RS. From your descriptions, I was expecting something pretty crappy.

The video shows anything but!

Ruby looks fantastic, keen & totally understands her job.

I don't think Millie is that far behind. She looks really good on the left & just a liitle unsure on the right, but she certainly understands. It looks like your timing needs some work on the right, you are actually rewarding her for stopping at the 3rd gap & looking at you, so she is likely to repeat this hesitation. From the video, you seem to be moving forward a little more for the left side & hanging back more for the right side.

I probably would never use a nrm with her, lack of reward should be enough.

I am sure other will have input as well...

And I'm sure they too will be just as impressed as I am!

Edited by Vickie

I was going to say.... What's wrong with Ruby?!!!! :) And Millie for that matter! You guys are going great!

Millie is doing a lot of what Jedi was doing early on - he would stop and go "come on, where's my reward?" So I did a lot of standing at the end of the poles so he drove towards me a bit and he got out of the habit of stopping early. Once he did that a few times, I then moved back and he continued to drive forward. But I don't know if that would work for all dogs - worked for Jedi though.

Edited by TerraNik

Thanks, guys :cheer: I guess looking back at the video, Millie doesn't appear as bad as I made out, but it has been pretty tough going and my frustration is building! It feels like it's going nowhere!

I can see my timing is better with Ruby but I guess that is a confidence thing (me in her) - I know Ruby is going to complete the weaves so I'm ready to throw. Millie, however, I have been caught in the trap where I throw to be timed better but it's just a second too soon because she pulls out just as I throw so she's getting rewarded for not doing the right thing. I was trying to delay it a bit to ensure she goes through, which isn't working either and as caffy said, is causing her to stall. And yep Vickie, I can see now that she is being rewarded for stopping and looking at me. I got caught in a trap where if I didn't throw as she moved even slightly into the last set, she would continue to just stand there. I guess I was trying to show her she is doing the right thing but in the end have showed her that standing there will still get her the toy! Ugh!

I might try your idea, TN, about standing down the other end. It might be a disaster as it will be a new picture for her, but is worth giving it a shot!

As a side note, I actually need to stop rewarding after every weave for Ruby because she now comes to expect the ball when she exits the weaves! I can just picture it now, in an agility trial, finishes weaving and just stands there looking for her ball :) I am just working on speed and more consistent entries with her, now.

Oh and Vickie, don't be envious of my wonderfully huge backyard :thumbsup: The camera was at the fence in the corner of the yard!

Edited by RubyStar

As a side note, I actually need to stop rewarding after every weave for Ruby because she now comes to expect the ball when she exits the weaves! I can just picture it now, in an agility trial, finishes weaving and just stands there looking for her ball :) I am just working on speed and more consistent entries with her, now.

Why not add a jump, then reward? then another jump? Mix it up?

As a side note, I actually need to stop rewarding after every weave for Ruby because she now comes to expect the ball when she exits the weaves! I can just picture it now, in an agility trial, finishes weaving and just stands there looking for her ball :cheer: I am just working on speed and more consistent entries with her, now.

Why not add a jump, then reward? then another jump? Mix it up?

Yep, thanks, sounds like a plan :) I just need to take my weave set and jumps and tunnel to a park to perhaps set up a little sequence, as I can't in my yard :thumbsup: Times like this I wish I had my larger property already :cheer:

I have one video, and he can do six poles, however we will have to go back and retrain the extreme entries as me holding the collar and moving forward has become part of the cue unfortunately.

He's also had a bit of brain erased and decided well into it that the first two poles are optional. :( Might see how I go videoing in the driveway now I have my base plates. ;)