Agility Training Talk Thread

Ie the balance between "keep your eyes on the dog" and "look where you're going".

one word....peripheral

funny, I just had this discussion with someone this morning. She told me she has been taught to always watch/look at her dog. I told her I pretty much never look at my dog. Was an interesting discussion.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lack of coordination is one thing that stopped me doing agility for a long time, I am a quite sure we will stack it big time if (when) we ever trial.

Daisy will be out for another few weeks though from the looks of it though :laugh:

:laugh: huski - they don't come much more unco than me (Vickie can endorse that LOL) and I'm very shortsighted, so peripheral vision is harder - but - touch wood, I've only had a couple of stacks - couple of times on jumps - once tripping on a piece of that long ropey grass. :o One of the advantages of having independent obstacle performance and a 'go on' command :rofl:

I was panicking about winged jumps initially - we don't have them down here (yet) - and I was sure I was going to take some out. :rofl:

:rofl: TSD - you're probably right - but he was a good boy anyway.

:laugh: huski - they don't come much more unco than me (Vickie can endorse that LOL) and I'm very shortsighted, so peripheral vision is harder - but - touch wood, I've only had a couple of stacks - couple of times on jumps - once tripping on a piece of that long ropey grass. :o One of the advantages of having independent obstacle performance and a 'go on' command :rofl:

I was panicking about winged jumps initially - we don't have them down here (yet) - and I was sure I was going to take some out. :o

:rofl: TSD - you're probably right - but he was a good boy anyway.

NOW COME ON ALL OF YOU - hardly anyone on here has any excuse.

EVERYONE knows that agility is just like dancing. EVERYONE knows that most guys can't dance. (Unless they are drunk......)

Gives me the perfect excuse to drink at trials. :rofl:

:laugh: huski - they don't come much more unco than me (Vickie can endorse that LOL)

I absolutely will not endorse that Barb!

Being coordinated seems to get exponentially harder based on the speed of your dog & Miss Kirra certainly has the speed!

:laugh: huski - they don't come much more unco than me (Vickie can endorse that LOL)

I absolutely will not endorse that Barb!

Being coordinated seems to get exponentially harder based on the speed of your dog & Miss Kirra certainly has the speed!

:o Thanks Vickie :rofl: - yes, she certainly is a speedy little girlie - and I'm afraid turning 9 the other day will not have slowed her down very much - so I was trying to get the old legs running a bit tonight, ready for our first ag. trials in a fortnight. :rofl:

EVERYONE knows that agility is just like dancing. EVERYONE knows that most guys can't dance. (Unless they are drunk......)

Gives me the perfect excuse to drink at trials. :laugh:

that's too funny AD ROFL

That's your excuse & you're sticking to it right????

I was all fired up on saturday night, fresh & ready to run, 4 runs, 0 Q's

drank way to much red, woke up in Sunday, feeling like crap, 5 Q's & 2 titles.

Does this mean I can justify writing myself off more often ???? Lol

Gives me the perfect excuse to drink at trials. :wave:

that's too funny AD ROFL

That's your excuse & you're sticking to it right????

I was all fired up on saturday night, fresh & ready to run, 4 runs, 0 Q's

drank way to much red, woke up in Sunday, feeling like crap, 5 Q's & 2 titles.

Does this mean I can justify writing myself off more often ???? Lol

Definitely!!

hic!

NOW COME ON ALL OF YOU - hardly anyone on here has any excuse.

Gives me the perfect excuse to drink at trials. :D

Is that why you are doing DWD Tony??? :wave: Now just to remember I should drink AT trials, not before :eek:

Uh oh, my dog does not have much speed, what's my excuse? :rofl: :D

Edited by huski

Which is why I think daytime trials should be outlawed - because you can't drink at them (as easily as you can at night time trials!!)

That...and my dog only seems to like running after dark lol, must be because we only train at night time

Hey Tony...any idea when BAD is planning to rebook the beginners comp?

Just working through a couple of things - in the next couple of weeks though.

T

Thanks, will it likely be on a weekend or a weekday? I only hope it's not when in away lol

Hey Tony...any idea when BAD is planning to rebook the beginners comp?

Just working through a couple of things - in the next couple of weeks though.

T

Thanks, will it likely be on a weekend or a weekday? I only hope it's not when in away lol

Def a weekend.

Any tips on getting my crazy dog to focus on doing things instead of looking at and jumping on me? :thumbsup:

Should I move the reward off me or something?

She will do a few jumps / obstacles then jumps on me and I suspect it's because she usually gets rewarded with food from my hand?

If I'm running at the time it takes all my effort not to trip over the little bugger!

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Are you sure you're not looking at her AP?

I would say a good 60-70% of trialling dogs who turn in & jump up on handlers are run by people who are lookng at the dog rather than focussing ahead.

Assuming you have done some foundation exercises?

Hmmm maybe I am.

Now that you mention it it had improved when I know I didn't look at her a bit later, but I had to ask someone else if she had done it right :thumbsup: Shoulders turning in maybe?

I have done a few things like put a toy / food after a jump and have her run to that instead, could probably do with a lot more of it though. Is that the type of thing you mean?

Edited by amypie