Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has to jump so high - yet she still has that nice "lean" jump style. I've noticed that some dogs that need to jump high tuck their legs under - it looks awkward to me.

Yeah it is SO high! She manages fine though, and I think she has a beautiful jumping style :D

She's so cute, she really reminds me of a black and white version of Trixie in her agility photos, they have a similar look, especially the face when she is coming out of the chute :laugh:

She's so cute, she really reminds me of a black and white version of Trixie in her agility photos, they have a similar look, especially the face when she is coming out of the chute :laugh:

The "where's my mum so I can BITE her!!" face :laugh:

You should post some agility photos of Trixie :thumbsup:

Soo excited! We got taught rear crosses tonight. Hemi at first didnt really like the idea and kept trying to heel! (Good boy secretly) but within 5 mins of intense training over one jump he conquered it. We then had a mini course of 8 jumps and incorporated a rear cross, wheel and a front cross and Hemi nailed it.

Soo excited! We got taught rear crosses tonight. Hemi at first didnt really like the idea and kept trying to heel! (Good boy secretly) but within 5 mins of intense training over one jump he conquered it. We then had a mini course of 8 jumps and incorporated a rear cross, wheel and a front cross and Hemi nailed it.

Yay! That's exciting .. September is looking good :-)

We had a good weekend of trialling, another 2 passes in excellent agility both second places so pretty happy with that :) It's taken a little while to get there though it was the same with novice always one fault wonders but she did run beautifully on the weekend.

Not as crazy as the previous trial but that was my fault due to entering too many things/sports in one day with two dogs, so she didn't get to sit and watch. Still thrilled with her runs though!

Had another go at masters jumping and she would have easily made time if I had gotten my handling right oops! Bit annoyed at myself as it was her type of course as well, the tight twist and turns that got a lot of the bigger dogs, she did do exactly as I told her with my body language :laugh:

We will get that elusive first pass eventually!

Oh and this is a good laugh! > The Types of People that Do Agility

This made me laugh.... I wonder if I fall into the ex conformation type.... Hemi is a failed showdog so I am determined to get some titles on the other end of his name :)

Hilarious! "We refuse to believe anyone actually enjoys Border Collies." :laugh:

I actually said after watching one of the BCs on Tuesday night, can I have one of them LOL!

Have just finished attending a great week long seminar/workshop with Nancy Gyes. Have always enjoyed her articles in Clean Run, and love her Alphabet Drills. The real thing was even better..... . what a fantastic teacher :thumbsup: Now all I need is to try to put what I've learned into practice. :D

Sounds great Tassie - feel free to share the knowledge :D

Had a looong day out at agility today. I'm very pleased to say that I finally took a step towards attaining one of my 2013 goals....to throw caution to the wind, take risks, not babysit and trust my dogs. Ok, so that didn't end in a whole lot of quallies :rofl: but both dogs ran hard all day and I enjoyed myself a lot more. It was kind of liberating :D Zig had some super runs but I was pushing us both so hard we missed out by a whisker with some tough obstacle discriminations or a dropped bar. Em started the day by winning Excellent Jumping (Q) and then grew in confidence on the next 2 runs. She ran so much harder than I expected in the 2nd run so I was constantly out of position and the bars tumbled. The 3rd run was my favourite even though she dropped a bar....she ran hard but thoughtfully, was driving forward but remained connected. Best idea ever to concentrate on just Jumping classes for a while :thumbsup:

In my world it's a great day when you and the dogs enjoy the runs, even if the Qs are a bit scarce :-P.

One of Nancy's things was not baby sitting....give clear and timely information...train independent obstacle performance, and trust the dog. :-).

We covered so many topics over the week, from foundation onwards. Last session was acceleration/decel. I hadn't really done very much deceldecel with Rory, but working through the skill sets, he was starting to get it. :-).

Havent really posted much in here, but need motivation in the winter months..!

I own a 2.5yr old silver standard poodle (Leo) and we are doing agility training at croydon..

Things we have been working hard on (and being a little successful!) are not babysitting and me just trusting Leo knows what to do (which he does!)

I would love to do a trial this year sometime, hopefully that will happen :)

So proud of my baby dog. (OK, she's not a baby any more, but.......) We have been working really hard on getting her to drive over the last few months. The difference in the two videos speak for itself.

Lesson for me- the more I focus less on the result and more on just having fun the more fun getting to the end result is becoming! :) Love my little girl.

So proud of my baby dog. (OK, she's not a baby any more, but.......) We have been working really hard on getting her to drive over the last few months. The difference in the two videos speak for itself.

Lesson for me- the more I focus less on the result and more on just having fun the more fun getting to the end result is becoming! :) Love my little girl.

Thats awesome! Well done AD.

Well done RS for your passes

OK - I stewarded for a agility trial on the weekend.... Didnt realised how hard it was to get a Q!! I thought if you had penalties, that just took marks off, not realising that it makes you not Q. I did enjoy it anyhow and cant wait to get in there and give it a shot!

Last night we had two mini courses set up. a jumping one and an agility one. Was fun and Hemi did well. Our trainer said Im picking up my handling skills well, and Hemi is picking up the idea well, it will just be his speed that will let him down. Im aiming to get a kilo off him to try and help him be a bit more agile.

Last night we had two mini courses set up. a jumping one and an agility one. Was fun and Hemi did well. Our trainer said Im picking up my handling skills well, and Hemi is picking up the idea well, it will just be his speed that will let him down. Im aiming to get a kilo off him to try and help him be a bit more agile.

Fantastic, well done - its great when it starts to come together!

Rory says ... way to go AD and lil sis ????. One of the things we were learning at the workshop with Nancy is that sometimes it's necessary to apply the brakes a bit ... he was learning to respect my decel cues. Will be interesting to see if he still remembers when we get to be able to practise again.