Agility Training Talk Thread

Love it Tassie! Does he like tugging? Try tugging on the table and make it harder and harder for him not to fall off - as soon he falls off stop playing. Worked wonders for Zig!

The first time Ziggy saw the smaller table in a trial (maybe ADX??) he leapt clear over the top of it - must have thought it was a bigger broad jump. Nearly brought the house down :rofl:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does like tugging - and will try that. Once he arrives, he's pretty stable - it's remembering that he has to slow down a tad in order to stop and drop - boy brains, after all :) . In his defence, we've had virtually no training. He's seen the table once for about 10 minutes in the last 6 weeks. And the seesaw once - of course he doesn't need that yet. :laugh: He was funny on the first DW - I was taking it for granted - looked at him and he's doing a lovely commando crawl up it - not sure what that was about - but the rest of the DW was fine - and no trouble the second time.

I really shouldn't be trialling him yet :o - but the way our calendar has been, it's the only chance we get to do any equipment. And I honestly don't think it's doing him any harm - he's getting better with each run - more thoughtful but still scary fast. There's no pressure on him - it's all good fun.

Tassie

I teach mine to get on & off the same plane of the table to start with. I don't ask for them to stay on it, just send on with one arm & release back to me with the other, like a front cross.

What this does is:

Teach them to get on fast

Teach them to collect & turn/flip as they get on

Teach them that once they are on, they look straight to me in anticipation of the release.

Once I have all this, I start to introduce the position & pause.

Edited by Vickie

I dislike the tiny table! Pippa the 300 dog has gone flying over the other side before because she couldn't put the brakes on quick enough and it wasn't a huge effort to get on there! Prefer the higher table for her, wish I could choose laugh.gif But yep, I just need to do more training with the table (and make sure it's lower, I seem to just leave it on what the other dogs at training use!)

Hi everyone :thumbsup: Just wondering what are some good things to do to get ready for Agility? My little guy has just started beginners obedience and I can go into agility after we pass but I want to start teaching him things now to prepare him :)

Hi everyone :thumbsup: Just wondering what are some good things to do to get ready for Agility? My little guy has just started beginners obedience and I can go into agility after we pass but I want to start teaching him things now to prepare him :)

Plenty of things.......

*DRIVE, DRIVE AND MORE DRIVE - Can he drive to a 'dead' toy. Does he know to accelerate as hard as he can when you are running - not just run with you?

*BALANCE - can he walk on things that move and is he comfortable doing it?

*TOY/FOOD balance - will he swap between food and toys. (or between two toys for that matter.)

Self control - can he make good decisions when in a state of arousal? (Susan Garrett has an excellent 'It's your choice' game for this.

These are a few of the things that I'd be starting with.

Hi Whitka, see my thread titled "Pup 2 Perfection"...it is on free shipping from Clean Run & has been highly recommended to me, even though I don't have a pup, I just had to get it :laugh:

Whitka, I would highly recommend 'Shaping Success' by Susan Garrett - a book that describes the training of an agility dog from pup through adulthood. All the exercises can be done with an older dog, I use it for both my 1.5yr dog and 6mth one.

Very popular amongst agility people.

Hi Whitka, see my thread titled "Pup 2 Perfection"...it is on free shipping from Clean Run & has been highly recommended to me, even though I don't have a pup, I just had to get it :laugh:

"The PreSports Puppy" is on special at the moment for $19.95 & is also on Free Shipping from Clean Run. PreSports Puppy by Rachael Saunders :)

Have you seen it Sheena? Any good?

Yes, I have had it for a long, long time & had forgotten about it till I saw it on special on C/R & it is good, worth the money. I also have Foundation Fundamentals DVD & the book The Focused Puppy, which are also excellent, but unless you can get them in Australia, the postage from US is too much, though sometimes they will give you a special price on postage if you ask. I am planning on starting up a "puppy agility foundation" class at our club, when we can gather a few puppies, so am after all the info I can get. The "Pup 2 Perfection" was recommended to me for this purpose :) The idea of starting up the class, is so I can get my "puppy fix" without having to get another puppy :laugh:

Edited by sheena

The pup class is a great idea! :) Wish there was something like that here. Good luck :thumbsup:

I got 'The Focused Puppy' from agilityclick.com which is in QLD. They have a fair bit of stuff on there its pretty good :)

Whitka, I would highly recommend 'Shaping Success' by Susan Garrett - a book that describes the training of an agility dog from pup through adulthood. All the exercises can be done with an older dog, I use it for both my 1.5yr dog and 6mth one.

Very popular amongst agility people.

"The PreSports Puppy" is on special at the moment for $19.95 & is also on Free Shipping from Clean Run. PreSports Puppy by Rachael Saunders :)

Thanks for the suggestions, more things to add to the list :D I cant wait to get started :thumbsup:

A class full of puppies what could be better :D

LOL TSD. When the dogs and I aren't trialling, I teach Puppy class at my club - know what you mean about the constant puppy fix. I sneak in a lot of foundation stuff for various disciplines - so much fun. :laugh:

We have a lack of puppies at our club, ATM so I think it will be more one on one, but that's OK to start. It will be more foundation for performance but will take in lots of other stuff too, just not the strict "obedience" type stuff, which I think only helps to demotivate some dogs. If it's 1 on 1, the class will only go for about 25 minutes as my other class starts after that. But I am hoping it is something that will catch on. :)