How Old And How Young....

ellz

Question for you all, more an "ethics" question than anything else.

How old would you consider is TOO old for a first litter for a bitch which only cycles once per year?

And, the accompanying question, how young would you consider too young for a potential stud dog for the above-mentioned bitch?

Now bearing in mind that these are from a breed which has DNA testing for many of the possible health issues associated with the breed. The bitch is DNA tested clear and the dog is clear by parentage.

Enquiring minds would really like some input!!

Hi Ellz,

Regardless of the breed and the number of cycles per year, I would probably not look at breeding a maiden bitch at older than four.

In regards to the stud, if I was happy that he had matured and that I was happy with him I don't see that 15 months would be too young.

In regards to DNA testing I would be wanting to see certificates for testing for ALL the health issues that tests are available for both for the bitch and for the proposed stud.

I probably would not accept clear by parentage unless I had evidence that the dog was actually the progeny of the "identified" parents.

Regards,

ANKC requirements aside - if the dog was from the "right" bloodlines I would have no qualms about using him prior to full maturity - I have used a 7 month old dog a stud and if it was possible to do so, would do it again in the right circumstances. With giant breeds I understand this wouldn't be an option :)

No matter how often a bitch cycles, depending on the breed I would consider mating a 5 or 6 year old maiden bitch and have mated a bitch for the first time when she was nearly 6 (she only had one litter)

Personally, apart from having to consider the rego rules, it's more about the individual dogs; some bitches are "old" at 5, other bitches of the same breed may not be.

If it were an SBT I wouldn't leave a bitch past three, my preference is to mate them as young as possible, providing they are mature enough to cope.

As for a dog, as soon as he's got viable sperm and your happy with his conformation, then I'd use him.

Thank you for the replies thus far. Always interesting to see what others have to say on such things.

I'm still teetering firmly on the "undecided" (ie TORN) side of the fence! :)

If the bitch was fully checked over by a vet then age would not be an issue.

If the dog had viable sperm and passed all health checks then again age would not be a problem.

It does depend on the breed in question though as smaller breeds are bred from early than later and vise versa for larger breeds.

I have used an 8 month old dog before and I have bred a bitch 2 weeks after turning 1. I have also bred from a bitch who was 8 (not her first litter) after then vet gave the all clear.

Leanne

It really depends on the breed. I bred a pointer bitch for her maiden litter at 6 years old and that was borderline for me. The only reason I went down that road is because she was superfit and healthy and had my old bloodlines that I wanted to get back.

Youngest dog I used was 13 months... and he made the choice, not me.

Breed and health of individuals really needs to be known before decisions can be made.

As it happens I have a litter on the ground at the moment from a bitch that only cycles once a year. She turned 3 in March and was mated at Easter, which means she whelped 18 pts short of her title. I felt I had no choice, I didnt want to wait until she was 4 for her to have her maiden litter. Having said that it also means that if all things are equal she will still be young enough for a second litter at some stage. She has all the necessary certificates and is clear by parentage.

As for the stud dog, I have for a previous bitch considered using a dog that was only just 1, however the bitch came into season a month too early. He did have all the necessary certificates and was clear by parentage. Except the one test that is done at 12 months. So instead I went up the family tree and used his uncle.

Our yellow boy was used at 16 months - had all his tests done, viable semen, etc.

So to add to the question if I may?

When, if you did, would you then breed from your girl again?

Edited by mercedes