Fast Eaters - How To Slow Them Down

Hi Guys,

I'm after some suggestions please. My beagle X, JoJo is a terribly fast eater. Always has been. Its not really been a problem until lately. She's started eating that fast that afterwards she will throw her dinner back up and the chicken necks I've given her are coming up whole! She's not even bothered to chew them at all, just swallowed.

I was thinking I could start cutting the necks up into pieces but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions?

You can get bowls with a bit in the middle that are designed for fast eaters.

Feed bigger bones than chicken necks - wings or frames for chicken. We freeze ours so they are forced to chew them.

Also I feed mine bones separately as the puppy gobbles hers if the older dog is around. If fed in her crate she chews them all up :laugh:

One dog we had was a fast and nervous eater, we had to put his bowl on box, that slowed down his eating a bit because it didn't let him have his head in his bowl. My mum also freezed his meals too.

JoJo has breakfast and dinner but doesn't get any dry food.

In the morning she gets vegies and 2 necks and at dinner time she gets vegies and raw meat. She's just a little pig!

My cocker get the same and she eats like a little lady!

They are fed seperately aswell because if I didn't then JoJo would push Jesie (cocker) out of the way for her bowl!

JoJo has breakfast and dinner but doesn't get any dry food.

In the morning she gets vegies and 2 necks and at dinner time she gets vegies and raw meat. She's just a little pig!

My cocker get the same and she eats like a little lady!

They are fed seperately aswell because if I didn't then JoJo would push Jesie (cocker) out of the way for her bowl!

First of all get rid of the vegetables.

Dogs can't digest them.

Vegetables are full of cellulose and dogs can't digest it.

The only way for a dog to digest it is to put through

blender till it is completely liquefied or the an electric juicer and add the pulp.

Thanks Miranda I'll have a look for one.

Oakway the vegies aren't whole. They are boiled and then mashed. She is little tubby and we are trying to get some weight off her. She's almost down to the right weight so we have slowly been increasing the amount of meat versus vegie. She would happily eat a whole carrot raw if I let her but all vegies are cooked and mashed.

She would happily eat a whole carrot raw if I let her

Good chew toy - give her a carrot instead of the chicken necks and cooked mashed vege, that'll take 25 or 30 seconds for her to chew up. Mine love them.

I'd be giving her wings instead of necks too - necks are just waaaay to much the same shape as a dog's trachea and too :laugh: for a gobbler for my liking

Thanks Miranda I'll have a look for one.

Oakway the vegies aren't whole. They are boiled and then mashed. She is little tubby and we are trying to get some weight off her. She's almost down to the right weight so we have slowly been increasing the amount of meat versus vegie. She would happily eat a whole carrot raw if I let her but all vegies are cooked and mashed.

Doesn't matter if the vegetable is cooked and mashed dogs still carn't digest the celluose it. :laugh:

my amstaff tends to gobble down the middle section of the chicken wing whole... ive had to pull wing out of his throat on more then one occasion... can i do anything to slow him down or just watch him carefully when he eats?????

Give him something bigger (thigh, carcase, turkey bits) but yes, still never feed a gobbler unsupervised - not that it always helps, I lost a supervised dog eating a brisket bone.

My staffy is a pig as well, she practically inhales all her (dry) food, and doesn't even chew her meat, she just gulps it down and frequently throws it back up. Pig. Even big slabs of meat, so now I have to cut everything up small, unless its a marrow bone or a big bone to chew on.

Would one of those bowls help her? At the moment, I just spread her dry food over the pavers out the back so she can't inhale it, so each piece is separate. Not a good look, she still manages to just hoover it all up and practically choke. :laugh:

my amstaff tends to gobble down the middle section of the chicken wing whole... ive had to pull wing out of his throat on more then one occasion... can i do anything to slow him down or just watch him carefully when he eats?????

Give him something bigger (thigh, carcase, turkey bits) but yes, still never feed a gobbler unsupervised - not that it always helps, I lost a supervised dog eating a brisket bone.

thanks

sorry dont mean to hijack the thread.

with buying carcases can i get them from the butcher or else where????

thats any raw meat for them and what are the best cuts, bones etc to get?????

My staffy is a pig as well, she practically inhales all her (dry) food, and doesn't even chew her meat, she just gulps it down and frequently throws it back up. Pig. Even big slabs of meat, so now I have to cut everything up small, unless its a marrow bone or a big bone to chew on.

Would one of those bowls help her? At the moment, I just spread her dry food over the pavers out the back so she can't inhale it, so each piece is separate. Not a good look, she still manages to just hoover it all up and practically choke. ;)

For dry kibble I reckon you'd be better off with something like a bob-a-lot:

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/Bobalo...toys/bob-a-lot/

She would have to push it / paw at it to release a few bit of kibbles, and keep on doing that until it's empty. Nina Ottosson's pyramid is another good alternative :laugh:

thanks

sorry dont mean to hijack the thread.

with buying carcases can i get them from the butcher or else where????

thats any raw meat for them and what are the best cuts, bones etc to get?????

I get carcases from Lenards and from the local butcher, but don't need a lot. Anything they can consume completely is a good bone IMO - size and shape depends on the size and strength of the dog. Lamb flaps, veal pieces, lamb necks (not chops) chicken maryland, all be good for an Amstaff (I have Staffords)

I give turkey necks not chicken necks to my four legged vacuum cleaner - that slows him down!!! :laugh:

He is only a small/medium sized dog but he sucks chicken necks down like spaghetti without chewing them.