Dog Dna Proves Gold Coast Council Made Wrong Breed Id

Mrs Rusty Bucket

July 15th article in Gold Coast news.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/0...coast-news.html

I'll cut and paste a little bit of it.

One of the dogs got out, neighbours phoned the council, council seized both dogs. Must be fun neighbours.

(snip)

The council seized the dogs on May 19 and ordered them to be destroyed.

The family appealed against the decision and last week lodged DNA tests conducted by a private company to support their case.

The $299 tests by the Melbourne lab revealed that Whero was a golden retriever/Boston terrier cross and Mau was a Staffordshire bull terrier/boxer cross, which are both legal crossbreeds.

(snip)

A council spokesman confirmed the DNA tests had been received and the case would be processed within a fortnight.

The council's animal management boss Bob La Castra backed DNA testing in principle.

"I think there's a strong argument for us doing DNA tests because that's the only way to be 100 per cent sure," he said.

"Unless there's a reason why we shouldn't, then that should be looked at very seriously."

He said there could be a case for compensation.

"If we find that the DNA testing shows that these dogs are not a banned breed, then I certainly think that council needs to look very, very closely at any cost that's been incurred by the owners," he said.

"The other side of the coin is we've got a duty and we could be seen as being negligent if we don't act on what our officers are trained to identify (by seizing the dogs)."

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I know that family, can't comment on the dogs though as I haven't seen them before.

Very interested to see what the golden retriever/bosten terrier looks like & how they distingushed that to be a APBT.

Edited by moko81

As most people know I work in Local Government, particularly within the admin side of the Ranger section. I put the boys to a test. A while ago someone posted this link:

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

I thought it would be interesting to see if the Rangers could idenitify a pitty..

Suprise suprise 3 out of 3 couldnt identify one. I took it one step further and tested the Administrator of Law and Saftey Services (Rangers boss), you guessed it.. he couldnt identify it either, so to top it of I asked the Assistant CEO and he couldnt identify it either...

Now the boys are more reluctant to identify a pitty before getting some clarifiaction from a vet. I know not all vets can identify one either but better then some poor cross breed that "looks" like one getting put down on looks alone.

As most people know I work in Local Government, particularly within the admin side of the Ranger section. I put the boys to a test. A while ago someone posted this link:

I thought it would be interesting to see if the Rangers could idenitify a pitty..

Suprise suprise 3 out of 3 couldnt identify one. I took it one step further and tested the Administrator of Law and Saftey Services (Rangers boss), you guessed it.. he couldnt identify it either, so to top it of I asked the Assistant CEO and he couldnt identify it either...

Now the boys are more reluctant to identify a pitty before getting some clarifiaction from a vet. I know not all vets can identify one either but better then some poor cross breed that "looks" like one getting put down on looks alone.

Good on you Gily :laugh:

bsl literally scares the sh*t out of me! its so unfair and so unpredictable.

and to say again, golden retriever x boston terrier?? lol wtf?

i thought kelpie x pom was an odd combination but i think this beats it!

I work in a pet supply store in VIC and this happened to a customer of ours. His dogs were impounded when the puppies were 5 weeks old and they were Boxer x AmStaff! Idiots!

Um, sorry to tell you this but what the hell do you think an Amstaff is? Its the show version of a Pitbull. Don't get me wrong , i love Amstaffs & think BSL is disgusting, not to mention identifying breeds by look alone but an Amstaff x boxer is likely to resemble a Pitty somewhat.

The simple answer is to buy a purebred dog with papers from a registered breeder and stay away from petshops & byb's selling x breeds for pure profit.

Took me 5 goes and normally im pretty good at picking breeds, Though i have only ever met one pure bred pitbull and i would admit i prob wouldnt know one if i did see one walking past me in the st i would prob mistake it for another breed or a mix.

I did the test and got it first go, I think it was the leather harness that gave it away - I just imagined that some big tattooed guy was at the end of the leash. :rolleyes:

Seriously if that dog came into the shelter I don't know anyone that could call it a 100% definate pitbull

The family appealed against the decision and last week lodged DNA tests conducted by a private company to support their case.

The $299 tests by the Melbourne lab revealed that Whero was a golden retriever/Boston terrier cross and Mau was a Staffordshire bull terrier/boxer cross, which are both legal crossbreeds.

If this was the "BITSA" dog breed identification test, then the american pitbull terrier isn't one of the breeds it is able to identify. So it's no surprise if the dogs didn't come back as pitbull. They wouldn't have done so even if they were pure pit!

Lucky for these dogs that the council didn't look too closely at the test's fine print. :laugh: