Help Fussy Dog With Joint Guard

tlc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vets always say that our big rescue boy has "tight" hips, he can't extend his legs all the way out the back and doesn't like them being manipulated. He's on Joint Guard and we took weight off him so he is probably slightly underweight but not massively so.

He doesn't show any signs of pain even after exercise, maybe he stretches more than other dogs. We don't limit his exercise but he naturally quite lazy. He gets a 30 minute walk every day plus the dog park maybe twice a week for an hour. And he runs around like an idiot with the puppy each day. He never seems sore afterwards. If he was exhibiting soreness we would rethink :D

I'd first try sprinkling it over the dry food.

If that doesn't work you could try mixing it with either:

-Goats milk (as already suggested) You can get it either fresh (not all supermarkets sell fresh though) or long life

-Yogurt (natural or even flavoured if he's really fussy)

-Chicken (pet) mince (take it out of his RMB allowance)

-Fish (canned sardines/tuna/mackeral)

-Raw or scrambled egg

-Canned food (If you need to use cat food then you could just use a tiny amount each day rather than a whole can)

or as a last resort and probably the cheapest option too:

-Stock or really weak gravy mix. Mix it in and pour over his dry food :D

I suppose you could even try rubbing it onto his bones. Not sure how difficult that would be but I'm pretty sure Jointguard has no smell or taste so it might work.

hi tlc, i sometimes give chloe just her kibble (artemis weight management) and the joint guard. I found she was leaving some in the bowl though and then wouldnt go back to lick it up - other nights are fine as she has breast chicken and sardines. I havent tried the liver treats but they sound good too...

here is where i get my joint guard from :) best price with postage i have found

http://www.greyhoundproductsdirect.com.au/...s_naturevet.htm

I have never heard of giving goat's milk to a dog... might sound silly, but why goat's milk and not normal milk? :D (i have never given chloe milk before???)

I have never heard of giving goat's milk to a dog... might sound silly, but why goat's milk and not normal milk? :D (i have never given chloe milk before???)

The short answer for me is that my dogs like both but tolerate goats milk better. Here's some stuff on the differences.

Goat Milk vs Cow Milk

· Nutrient content of goat milk is slightly less than cow milk but goat milk is more digestible because the fat molecules are one-fifth the size of those from cow milk -- making it easily tolerated by those with compromised digestive systems.

· It is one-third richer than cows milk but more nourishing and easier to digest.

· Goat milk has no cream separation because of smaller fat molecules.

· Goat milk contains pre-formed Vitamin A in the milk fat that allows it to be readily available for use by the body.

· Goats milk contains a more highly-evolved cholesterol than cows milk, making it more available for absorption to the brain and body. (Cholesterol is essential to the health of the myelin sheaths "white matter" of the nerves in the brain.)

· Goat milk has an alkaline reaction. Cow milk has an acid reaction

· Goat milk does not form mucous (phlegm).

· Goat milk contains more chlorine, fluorine and silicon than any other domestic livestock. Chlorine and fluorine are natural germicides and fluorine assists in preventing diabetes.

· Goat milk contains 2% curd, which precipitates in the stomach. Cows milk is 10% curd.

· Goats milk is tolerated by a compromised /damaged liver because of the smaller fat molecules and it's naturally homogenized.

· Goats milk has the ability to "sweeten" the intestinal tract and assist with constipation.

· Goats milk contains a higher evolved carotene (pro-Vitamin A). Researchers have found this to have cancer preventing properties.

Getting RIGHT off topic, I'm a huge fan of goats milk soap too! :)

Edited by poodlefan

I have never heard of giving goat's milk to a dog... might sound silly, but why goat's milk and not normal milk? :) (i have never given chloe milk before???)

The short answer for me is that my dogs like both but tolerate goats milk better. Here's some stuff on the differences.

Getting RIGHT off topic, I'm a huge fan of goats milk soap too! ;)

Thanks so much PF - as usual your answer is so informative and helpful :o

I always see goats milk soap at the chemist really cheap... maybe ill give it a go now :D

Mine gets her Sasha'a Blend sprinkeld on her toast and vegemite.

;)

:D that's ok assuming her vegemite toast is a normal thing :o

Well it is now! :)

Have to admit I've done the toast thing too, but with peanut butter, and only when I really need to cos my Chloe is a bit of a fatty...

Some light walking on the grass area... I would break it up if Cooper likes running. Like, let him run for 10 minutes, and let him rest for about 5-10 minutes, run again for 10 minutes, and then rest for 5-10 minutes. Our walks is about 1 hour long, but i would say about 30min is actual walk and other 30 minutes is resting.. :laugh:

I do this with Charlie.. he loves his walks, so we walk for 10 minutes, then we sit somewhere for about 10-15 minutes watching the scenery (or do some trick training).. then continue on the walks. Avoid hills and steps, because that's puts too much pressure on joints. Also, avoid uneven surfaces (like sand, gravels etc).

I watch Charlie's body language and go with my gut feeling when Charlie has enough. He will slow down a little bit and gets a slight limp.. that's when I pick him up and carrying him, or it's time to go home. But, he is pretty good on letting me know he has enough because he asked to be carried.

Swimming is good too :)

They do lots of swimming in summer but I think too cold here at the moment. I am definatley guided by the dogs and especially Cooper and thier body language as to when they have had enough, but some days i am sure they would run all day, they are very active when we are out and about. I think for the time being our regular regime is ok because there has been no outward signs of any problem apart from the inital limp which lasted about a week, then with a weeks rest and ease back into it, he has been fine ever since. Only on asking the vet did he notice the stiffness in the right hip. So I'm hoping it is nothing serious and will keep a very close eye on his.

I'd be hunting down a decent canine chiropractor TLC.

Funny you should mention that we have a very good Doggy hiro here in town and I had Cooper to him (not for a problem I took all of them to see him just for general check) when he was about 18 months old and he noticed then that his right hip was stiff and on stretching his leg out it seemed to pop and Cooper screamed and the chiro said his hip was out. :confused: and that he had popped it back in. When I asked the vet about this the vet disagreed with the chiro and said that if his hip was out he wouldn't be able to walk on it??

Is it possible that he has had a bad hip since he was a pup and the chiro fixed it but it has done some damage in the mean time?? that was over 2 years ago now and I never went back. Maybe I should?

Buy a litre of puppy milk and give him a little each day in milk, or use a spoonful of yoghurt.

Just home from the supermarket got the goats milk, will try it tonight!

Vets always say that our big rescue boy has "tight" hips, he can't extend his legs all the way out the back and doesn't like them being manipulated. He's on Joint Guard and we took weight off him so he is probably slightly underweight but not massively so.

He doesn't show any signs of pain even after exercise, maybe he stretches more than other dogs. We don't limit his exercise but he naturally quite lazy. He gets a 30 minute walk every day plus the dog park maybe twice a week for an hour. And he runs around like an idiot with the puppy each day. He never seems sore afterwards. If he was exhibiting soreness we would rethink :)

He sounds very similar to Cooper also Coop has always been under weight so this has probly helped, it is only now that his weight is right where it should be. Cooper also never exhibits soreness after exercising or on waking, mornings etc.

I'd first try sprinkling it over the dry food.

If that doesn't work you could try mixing it with either:

-Goats milk (as already suggested) You can get it either fresh (not all supermarkets sell fresh though) or long life

-Yogurt (natural or even flavoured if he's really fussy)

-Chicken (pet) mince (take it out of his RMB allowance)

-Fish (canned sardines/tuna/mackeral)

-Raw or scrambled egg

-Canned food (If you need to use cat food then you could just use a tiny amount each day rather than a whole can)

or as a last resort and probably the cheapest option too:

-Stock or really weak gravy mix. Mix it in and pour over his dry food :)

I suppose you could even try rubbing it onto his bones. Not sure how difficult that would be but I'm pretty sure Jointguard has no smell or taste so it might work.

Great suggestions, a few options I hadn't thought of thanks.

hi tlc, i sometimes give chloe just her kibble (artemis weight management) and the joint guard. I found she was leaving some in the bowl though and then wouldnt go back to lick it up - other nights are fine as she has breast chicken and sardines. I havent tried the liver treats but they sound good too...

here is where i get my joint guard from :) best price with postage i have found

I have never heard of giving goat's milk to a dog... might sound silly, but why goat's milk and not normal milk? :o (i have never given chloe milk before???)

Thanks so much for the link I will check it out. The vet said the tub I got was $90 he thought but I never seen the bill as I put it on my account so not quite sure of the price but will definatley look into getting it cheaper if I can.

I don't think putting it in with his dry will work as occasionally he leaves some and he is a slow eater and picks over every little bit.

I have never heard of giving goat's milk to a dog... might sound silly, but why goat's milk and not normal milk? :o (i have never given chloe milk before???)

Goat Milk vs Cow Milk

· Nutrient content of goat milk is slightly less than cow milk but goat milk is more digestible because the fat molecules are one-fifth the size of those from cow milk -- making it easily tolerated by those with compromised digestive systems.

· It is one-third richer than cows milk but more nourishing and easier to digest.

· Goat milk has no cream separation because of smaller fat molecules.

· Goat milk contains pre-formed Vitamin A in the milk fat that allows it to be readily available for use by the body.

· Goats milk contains a more highly-evolved cholesterol than cows milk, making it more available for absorption to the brain and body. (Cholesterol is essential to the health of the myelin sheaths "white matter" of the nerves in the brain.)

· Goat milk has an alkaline reaction. Cow milk has an acid reaction

· Goat milk does not form mucous (phlegm).

· Goat milk contains more chlorine, fluorine and silicon than any other domestic livestock. Chlorine and fluorine are natural germicides and fluorine assists in preventing diabetes.

· Goat milk contains 2% curd, which precipitates in the stomach. Cows milk is 10% curd.

· Goats milk is tolerated by a compromised /damaged liver because of the smaller fat molecules and it's naturally homogenized.

· Goats milk has the ability to "sweeten" the intestinal tract and assist with constipation.

· Goats milk contains a higher evolved carotene (pro-Vitamin A). Researchers have found this to have cancer preventing properties.

Getting RIGHT off topic, I'm a huge fan of goats milk soap too! :)

After reading that I would much prefer to use goats milk. Coop hasn;t had any sort of milk since he was about 12 months old and occasionally he can have tummy upset so I know the goats milk will be better. thanks for the info.

My opinion is he'll eat it eventually, you're just playing to his demands by trying to feed the JG hidden.

Ordinarily I would totally agree with you actually I do agree with you and if it had of been one of my other 3 this is what I would do. But with Cooper it is just impossible, he has a will of steel, In trying to find the best diet for him (its taken 4 years) some times he will go 4 days with no food, believe me I have tried and he has been so skinny at times I just don't know how he has been able to function. So to see him now perfectly healthy and the right weight I don't want to take a step backwards by starving him to get him to eat it when it may be something as simple as mixing it with milk.

Mine gets her Sasha'a Blend sprinkeld on her toast and vegemite.

:D

He would love that, he does actually share a crust of peanut butter and toast of a morning with my OH before he goes to work, so if all else fails! :)

Thanks so much for all the great replies and suggestions, very much appreciated.

Getting RIGHT off topic, I'm a huge fan of goats milk soap too! :confused:

For yourself or on the pooch?

It's sure got me curious I will have to try it when I open it!!

here is where i get my joint guard from :laugh: best price with postage i have found

I have never heard of giving goat's milk to a dog... might sound silly, but why goat's milk and not normal milk? :confused: (i have never given chloe milk before???)

Thanks so much for the link I will check it out. The vet said the tub I got was $90 he thought but I never seen the bill as I put it on my account so not quite sure of the price but will definatley look into getting it cheaper if I can.

I don't think putting it in with his dry will work as occasionally he leaves some and he is a slow eater and picks over every little bit.

No worries... it's definately cheaper than $90 even with postage :o Even my fatty Chloe wouldnt go back and she will eat almost ANYTHING, so I guess if your dog is a fussy eater you will need to 'diguise' it somehow... better he gets it into his system anyway you can... than not at all :o

I gave my dog human joint stuff. You can get that in tablet form.

I have wondered how different the human stuff is?

Well good news I just tried the goats milk, literally :o it's quite yummy!! And Cooper thought so too :confused: It was touch and go he took a slurp and then walked away but I coaxed him back and he drank it all it was only about 1/4 of a cup full, and he was licking the bottom of the bowl for more so I think we may have found a winner.

He is really weird at times he will look at something but not have a bar of it but if I put a bit of it in his mouth and he gets a taste of it, then he will eat it :laugh: I did try that with the fish for dogs but no way and I ended up with a big sticky stinky fishy . :o