Help Fussy Dog With Joint Guard

tlc

I gave my dog human joint stuff. You can get that in tablet form.

I have wondered how different the human stuff is?

Well good news I just tried the goats milk, literally :o it's quite yummy!! And Cooper thought so too :confused: It was touch and go he took a slurp and then walked away but I coaxed him back and he drank it all it was only about 1/4 of a cup full, and he was licking the bottom of the bowl for more so I think we may have found a winner.

He is really weird at times he will look at something but not have a bar of it but if I put a bit of it in his mouth and he gets a taste of it, then he will eat it :laugh: I did try that with the fish for dogs but no way and I ended up with a big sticky stinky fishy . :o

Awesome. Goat milks taste better than cow milk.

Charlie and Cooper can be twins when it comes to being fussy, I reckon. Charlie is unpredictable when it comes to food... sometimes he likes it and sometimes he won't.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well good news I just tried the goats milk, literally :hug: it's quite yummy!! And Cooper thought so too :rofl: It was touch and go he took a slurp and then walked away but I coaxed him back and he drank it all it was only about 1/4 of a cup full, and he was licking the bottom of the bowl for more so I think we may have found a winner.

He is really weird at times he will look at something but not have a bar of it but if I put a bit of it in his mouth and he gets a taste of it, then he will eat it :lollipop: I did try that with the fish for dogs but no way and I ended up with a big sticky stinky fishy . :(

Mine like it even better warmed up :p

Well we are back to square one today, Cooper turned his nose up at the milk this morning. So after thinking it may have been a winner yesterday, not so much today, I even warmed it up!!

Does anyone that uses Joint guard only give it once a day? It says on the tub and also the vet said twice a day, will it make a difference if he has the right amount once a day instead of in two lots??

Twice a day is better but once a day is better than nothing :hug: Did you try putting it directly on his normal food and see if he eats it?

Just a heads up if you're interested in stocking up - dstore.com.au have free delivery on pet supplies atm and have Joint Guard pretty cheaply :hug: (special ends 8am on Monday)

Twice a day is better but once a day is better than nothing :hug: Did you try putting it directly on his normal food and see if he eats it?

Just a heads up if you're interested in stocking up - dstore.com.au have free delivery on pet supplies atm and have Joint Guard pretty cheaply :hug: (special ends 8am on Monday)

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out. I havent tried directly onto his food as he has dry mostly and he usually doesnt eat the whole lot in one go, my thought is that it would go to the bottom of the bowl and there is no way he woudl lick it out? So im still looking for a fool proof way to get him to eat it. Tonight I manged to get a whole 5mg dose in with his dry soaked in a bit of water and I mixed in some cooked (boiled liver) If only I could give him liver every night, not ideal I know but it is his ultimate favorite food.

If you want to try the Joint Guard in treat form I am happy to send you a few to try with him. One of mine is on the treat form (spoilt). :hug:

Thanks so much for the offer but no need as I will definatley look into the treat form, are they much more expensive than the powder? For Cooper weight he has to have 5 mg per day.

Edited by tlc

We just sprinkle over food and don't really mix it with anything. Indy will then lick the bowl till it's all gone.

He will not under any circumstances touch the chewable treats though. He clamps his mouth shut and won't have a bar of them. Plus they are really expensive and at Indy's size he would need quite a few of them to get the necessary dose. I think I only bought them as we'd run out of powder and I had some on backorder so bought the treats in the interim. Total waste of money.

He's been on joint guard for at least 3 years now and it really does help him. For the first year or so we did morning and nightly doses. We've now cut back to once a day.

Edited by Malamum

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out. I havent tried directly onto his food as he has dry mostly and he usually doesnt eat the whole lot in one go, my thought is that it would go to the bottom of the bowl and there is no way he woudl lick it out? So im still looking for a fool proof way to get him to eat it. Tonight I manged to get a whole 5mg dose in with his dry soaked in a bit of water and I mixed in some cooked (boiled liver) If only I could give him liver every night, not ideal I know but it is his ultimate favorite food.

tlc, if the liver works and he likes it why don't you try making up some stock by simmering some liver (and perhaps a little chicken or beef) in water, then mixing the joint guard in with the liquid and through his dry food. That way he'll still get the taste without over doing it :o

On exercising - have found the dog is fine if we go for a fast walk for 2 1/2km (as in Im walking she s trotting) and that includes a short run at the park near the end each day (once we are fit again and it doesnt get dark so early). However if we go out somewhere and she doesnt do the steady trot for some time and just does the run around like a nutcase she will be proppy later that day.

On the joint guard she hasnt been anymore than a bit proppy due to running around like a nutcasewithout the 20min trotting warmup. Vet also warned against letting her bolt around the backyard after a walk (she would go flat out then through herself into a roll) but she has started to be a bit more careful with that especially after once being fine after a walk til she threw herself down and rolled and got up lame on an elbow.

I get the concentrated one, lasts forever as you only need a tiny bit. :rofl::o

Nutralife, concentrated joint powder with optiMSM.

Health food shop. We've been using it for 3 years and it's very good.

Mine have different foods most meals, so it may be mixed iin an egg, yogurt, meat, sardines, etc. but you only need a little so it's not an issue. :rofl:

Well good news I just tried the goats milk, literally :rofl: it's quite yummy!! And Cooper thought so too :o It was touch and go he took a slurp and then walked away but I coaxed him back and he drank it all it was only about 1/4 of a cup full, and he was licking the bottom of the bowl for more so I think we may have found a winner.

He is really weird at times he will look at something but not have a bar of it but if I put a bit of it in his mouth and he gets a taste of it, then he will eat it :rofl: I did try that with the fish for dogs but no way and I ended up with a big sticky stinky fishy . :rofl:

The human form,I'm don't think it has Chondroiten nor,or the MSM.I have spent days....weeks... researching what is best

,also re Granules or tablet form,& best prices.I am told by vet Granules are absorbed better through the body to joints & ligaments.....really don't know who to believe.Bindie has H.D. so is also on the Omego Fish Oil plus Zeel tabs.

I had the same problem.......how best to give it,I have tried empty capsules,too many took 6 to get the 5 grams daily,then I put the joint granules in Liverwurst that works every time,I can't continue this because she has to lose weight,so now I put it in Sardines that are in Spring water.I would use the oil variety but for the weight issue as it would be good re fish oil.

When the Granules are finished I have Joint Health tablets,Aristopet 60 tablets $23.65,these people were most helpful,I spoke to Candice 07.3630.2166,also very prompt with delivery....next day.

Like I've mentioned in previous posts,why can't all the aboves be in ONE tablet.I suspect all to do with the dollar.

After reading all reports I could possibly find with opinions from all avenues on the aboves, I have not found conclusive proof that any of this actually works,all opinions say......it may help. I don't want to be a sceptic,I am willing & waiting to be converted.I'm sure I am not alone on this.

Thanks again for all the good advice, I don't even think Ill bother with the tablets I have a feeling he would jack up and not wanna take them and I don't want to have to force a table on him every day. I have started a new thread on amounts of liver that is safe to feed as I just feel that this is going to be the best way to get him to take it. I had to feed him liver as a youngster to get him interested in food, he really loves it.

Thanks again

Mum's Labrador gets his Joint Guard powder once a day over his biscuits, I just use a squirty bottle to moisten the biscuits slightly and the powder binds to the biscuits.

My dog gets the Joint Guard liver treats in his kong and he gobbles them down, he sits there waiting for them - they're manufactured by Vet's Best Rewards/Love 'Em Liver, my cat even eats them if I drop one and I am too slow getting it!!! haha

There is a difference between the human and dog joint products - the chondroitin in the dog product is absorbed better into the system, the human products have a larger molecule size that isn't readily absorbed by the dogs system. It's also accurately dosed and the right ratios of glucosamine & chondroitin.

Edited by ~Archie~