Getting Your Dog To Drink Water

This is the first 'topic' that I've created so I hope I do this correctly.

I have a French Bulldog who refuses to drink water at the dog park or at the car before we come home. She gets really hot running around but I can't convince her to use the tap/bowl at the dog park or if I bring a water bottle and bowl with me she'll sniff it and walk away panting, yet all other dogs will drink from it. When we get home she'll drink for 5 minutes!!!

Being a brachycephalic dog, I'm really worried that she'll get hot (especially in summer), dehydrated and really sick...

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to drink water when we're out and about?

Edited by Sammie82

Maybe take her water and her bowl from home and practice with her drinking in different locations around the house, in the car etc ... I think water tastes and smells difference from different locations.

Edited by Tilly

Maybe take her water and her bowl from home and practice with her drinking in different locations around the house, in the car etc ... I think water tastes and smells difference from different locations.

Thanks for you quick reply. Before we took her to the dog park today I swapped her bowls so that she drank all day out of the bowl I was going to take and I filled the water bottle up with the same tap water that she was drinking from... I suppose I can only try to perservere...

Maybe I just need to find some dog cordial... :confused:

yep ,use whatever water you use at home, fresh each time - and buy one of those fold up bowl things - use it at home too , so she is used to it.

water does taste/smell different in different locations/or out of different containers.Maybe she needs to be encouraged to eat/drink out of different things at home- so she CAN adapt if needs be ?

She's safer NOT using a communal bowl - who knows what 'bugs' are in the other dog's drool ... Blerk!

aahh :confused: you posted while I was still tapping away .

Dog cordial/stock won't encourage her to drink plain water tho :eek:

Edited by persephone

It might just be that she's not thirsty? Dogs cool down by panting and will drink to keep/stay hydrated. I much prefer my dog to have settled down before drinking anyway rather than drinking directly after exercise.

Basically, if she's thirsty, she'll drink :confused:

I did the same as Showdog for my previous girl, who also would not drink when out somewhere - regardless of it being her own water and/or from her own bowl and regardless of how hot the weather and regardless of how long we were out for.

I used to have a supply of those single serve milk/creamers and found they were very handy to take with me wherever we might have been going. Just one was more than enough to flavour up the water enough for her to enjoy a good drink.

Edited by Erny

Yes I agree with the dash of milk thing. My dog won't drink water AT ALL!! I have never come across anything like it. I think I've seen him actually drink plain water 3 times since I adopted him (might have something to do with why he developed stones with his other "owners").

I use a few different things to make the water taste more like "food" and a dash of milk is a sure fire winner.

Also, do you keep the water in a plastic bottle when you travel? Some dogs detect the taste of the plastic - maybe try a different kind of container (plastic is bad anyway apparently). I have a really groovy metal water bottle (with a cute lizard on the side) that I use when I'm out and about.

Also try freezing water in a sports bottle, then as it melts you can squirt some into the side of the dogs mouth or use it over the dog to cool them off before going home.

As others have said, I prefer to let mine drink later when they have stopped panting. I will also stop the exercising if they are getting to hot.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll definitely try the milk option and putting the water in a metal container.

Stormy, You could be right about no being dehydrated therefore she doesn't want to drink, I just thought she would be due to the excited frothing that seems to occur as well. (Think of Me in a dog park with a face washer wiping slobber as she runs past :p )

Becks, We did stop the playing especially yesterday when I got worried... we had to leave all the fun of playing with 2 other Frenchies and 1 Bonston behind to come home and rest.

Thanks again, Sammie and Asti

This is the first 'topic' that I've created so I hope I do this correctly.

I have a French Bulldog who refuses to drink water at the dog park or at the car before we come home. She gets really hot running around but I can't convince her to use the tap/bowl at the dog park or if I bring a water bottle and bowl with me she'll sniff it and walk away panting, yet all other dogs will drink from it. When we get home she'll drink for 5 minutes!!!

Being a brachycephalic dog, I'm really worried that she'll get hot (especially in summer), dehydrated and really sick...

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get her to drink water when we're out and about?

Town water tastes different everywhere, so I assume she does the same as my dogs do, they sniff at the water and then walk away. I do not know where you are, but I live a bit outside Brisbane and we have rainwater tanks, that is the only water my dogs would touch.

The same can happen with the water bottle, dogs smell the plastic and walk away.

Maybe add just a tiny bit of low salt broth and see, if she likes it then? Or dip your finger in the water and let her see that your finger is not falling off, she can even lick the water off your finger to start with.

Dagmar