Bones For Puppy?

pomchi

Hi guys I was wondering if there are any bones suitable for a 15 week old puppy?. Or any ideas for things that will take a while to chew on - she has kongs but I thought we might be able to try something different.

any ideas

chicken wings, chicken neck, lamb flaps, chicken frame, bone marrow, turkey neck (you can cut it in half because they are huge.. although I give a whole one to Emmy because it would take her longer to finish)... i think these are the main ones I give to my 2.

I also give Emmy frozen carrots to chew on.. that takes her a while too.

depends on her size , chicken and turkey necks are good , as well as chicken wings for the smaller ones , the bigger the dog the bigger the bone needs to be , rule of thumb make sure they cannot swallow it whole , supervise all bones , my bigger dogs love the pork hocks if puppy is a small one try piggy trotters for the long chew

always feed bones raw never cooked

depends on her size , chicken and turkey necks are good , as well as chicken wings for the smaller ones , the bigger the dog the bigger the bone needs to be , rule of thumb make sure they cannot swallow it whole , supervise all bones , my bigger dogs love the pork hocks if puppy is a small one try piggy trotters for the long chew

always feed bones raw never cooked

she is a pomeranian, so very small at the moment, I heard various reports on chicken wings so I wasnt sure

chicken wings, chicken neck, lamb flaps, chicken frame, bone marrow, turkey neck (you can cut it in half because they are huge.. although I give a whole one to Emmy because it would take her longer to finish)... i think these are the main ones I give to my 2.

frozen carrots, i never would have thought of that, might give that a try. thanks

if she looks like she is having trouble getting through them try bashing them with a meat hammer to break them a little bit , we do this for the cat and it allows him to eat them a little easier , chicken wings I have found to be fine and I doubt even a full grown Pom would be able to bolt them whole , should make for a good chew for a baby

Is chicken frame basically the chicken bone carcass? I've been curious about that.

Also, I wanted to give Elbie carrots, too but heard that they (like everything it seems!!?) had some shortcomings?

Is chicken frame basically the chicken bone carcass? I've been curious about that.

Also, I wanted to give Elbie carrots, too but heard that they (like everything it seems!!?) had some shortcomings?

Yep... I cut a whole chicken frame in half.. give one half to Charlie and the other half to Emmy. They love it.

I give Emmy carrot frozen.. she doesn't eat it, but she chomps on it and then spit it out. She's teething at the moment, so anything hard and cold she can chomp on, she's happy :laugh:

I give Emmy carrot frozen.. she doesn't eat it, but she chomps on it and then spit it out. She's teething at the moment, so anything hard and cold she can chomp on, she's happy :mad

x2

I also did the same with celery sticks, but the just got buried in the garden.

Aren't chicken necks a bit small?

I saw some dried ones at petbarn the other day and they looked quite small. My greedy guts would probably swallow them whole!

Do they attempt to swallow the vertebrae?

we were told not give give chicken wings, they are too small for lab puppies who may swallow the bones whole in their enthusiam

chicken necks or wings are best for puppies because they are faily soft, always supervise as sometimes they dont know that they are ment to chew them :) always give raw, NEVER cooked bones. cooked bones are more likely to splinter and cause damamge to dogs mouths and insides. just remember there is never a guarantee that raw bones wont get lodge in the stomach or intestines. once bigger you can give the bigger bones but if your going to give the cow legs you should scoop out most if not all the marrow, this is quite fatty and can upset dogs stomachs, and even cause pancreatitis. my poor dogs pancreas is so sensitive he cant have any bones or even treats!

Edited by nurseclaire

My 15 week old Aussie Shepherd puppy has a chicken wing for breakfast every morning. He can't fit the whole thing in his mouth so he has to take his time and chew it and he absolutely loves it.

chicken necks or wings are best for puppies because they are faily soft, always supervise as sometimes they dont know that they are ment to chew them :) always give raw, NEVER cooked bones. cooked bones are more likely to splinter and cause damamge to dogs mouths and insides. just remember there is never a guarantee that raw bones wont get lodge in the stomach or intestines. once bigger you can give the bigger bones but if your going to give the cow legs you should scoop out most if not all the marrow, this is quite fatty and can upset dogs stomachs, and even cause pancreatitis. my poor dogs pancreas is so sensitive he cant have any bones or even treats!

Well that would depend on the size of the puppy :cry:

My Stafford pups can (and would) swallow chicken necks whole by the time they're 10 weeks old. Something appropriate to the size and eating-style of the puppy is best. IMO leg bones are out - all they do is wear out or break teeth, but again for a breed with less jaw power they might be quite happy licking the marrow out - mine go for the crush and destruct attempt.

Can you buy a chicken frame from a butcher or supermarket?

I am very cautious in giving my lab puppy bones. She has had one and threw up a chunk of it a few hours later. Thankfully she vomited it up and it did not obstruct anything, but since then, no bones for her :cry:

I really don't know if labs should be trusted with bones as they are such greedy guts and dont tend to chew, but swallow things whole.

I would like to try a chicken frame as this seems are bit more substanial.

I may give her a big bone (femur or something) when she gets older.

My Lab pup is almost 11 weeks old. I have given her (under supervision) lamb flaps, lamb necks, chicken necks, turkey wings and just this morning half of a beef shin that was cut in half again lengthways and she got half of that. Lamb flaps and chicken necks do not last long at all. Ruby basically gives chicken necks a couple of good crunches and they're gone. We did have a slightly scary incident a week or so ago where she didn't chew it, and she started to cough a bit- I was up so quick with my hand down her throat I almost didn't believe it! But I think when I grabbed her, it dislodged itself and she swallowed it. I still give them to her as part of her breakfast, but I watch and listen very carefully.

Turkey wings last a bit longer. I have only bought the ends that look like a chicken drumstick (if that makes sense), and she happily munches away on those until there's about 10cm of bone left, at which point I take them away just to be safe.

Neck bones last awhile- she doesn't seem to want to eat much of the bone though, only the meat.

This morning I gave her her first 'big' bone- she loved it! Ate most of the marrow, but there's still some meat on it. She dragged it all over her yard before putting it in her hiding place (up the side of the house) :cry:.

We always fed our dogs shank bones when I was growing up- which is why I always think it's funny when I see them on the menu in restaurants now that they've become trendy. I haven't given Ruby one yet though just because they are so expensive! :)

I would like to leave her with a bone when I go to work, but I've read too much on here about how that is a very bad idea. At what age IS it okay?