Rspca Proposals For A Mandatory Code For Puppy Farmers.

minky

Sorry I think having breed clubs decide who should and who shouldnt breed is a horrible idea.

Many of us wont join breed clubs for numerous reasons.

Yep.

Double yep.

It takes more than a $25 breed club membership to be a responsible breeder. I'll leave it at that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see some good ideas coming out now.

No one I feel is lumping ethical breeders in with puppy farmers the question is how do we separate the high volume registered breeders from the hobbie and show breeders and then the straight out puppy farmers.I think that the breed clubs should have a large say in who obtains and keeps a licence.I visited a few ''licenced'' breeders who would not allow us to view the parents or the story of the pups are only kept here to sell cos we dont want dog fighters dognapping our dogs mmmm maybe.They could all rattle off the names of other breeders who their pups descended from, if this was true I think this is a good reason to sell only desexed dogs to anyone who is not recognised by the breed club.This could also reduce the cross breeders as well,the limited registar does not stop them.

With micro chipping, if dogs from any breeder turn up at pounds or with unsuitable owners at a high rate they should be deregistered that way the good ethical breeders who vet their prospective buyers will survive which will in turn keep the breed standards high.

Pet shops and (especially market stalls) should be banned immediately from keeping pups in the ''shop'' and only recommend available breeders, both for health reasons and also for the fact that litters are suddenly taken from the mother usually at only 6 weeks and gradually reduced to the last pup which is left alone overnight.Take a look at the reptile system you cant buy them in shops, only from the breeder and I dont think reptiles suffer from anxiety and separation issues.

People who go looking for the cheapest pup are more likely to refuse or can't afford to pay for vet care in my opinion they therefore cant afford to own a dog.

I think part of the problem is people who know very little about breeding dogs and what happens in breed clubs and/or the pet industry. are pontificating about how legislation will work / should be applied.

You dont have to be a breeder or breed club member to comment / have an opinion,

but like all things, it helps to know bout what it is you have an opinion on.

There are many people who are non breeders or non breed club participants who's comment and insights are very informative and offer different lines of thought on the matter, but generally they comment because they are informed on the issues.

The puppy farm arguement is just a red herring. They can be easily be controlled. The real victims will be dog breeders in general. They want to make it too expensive for people to comply and those that can will do so while those that have little money to fight pexpensive court battles will be the real victims. Needless to say the self-styled animal welfare lobby will pocket the cash and kill the animals. Is that conflict of interest with animal abuse ?

The puppy farm arguement is just a red herring. They can be easily be controlled. The real victims will be dog breeders in general. They want to make it too expensive for people to comply and those that can will do so while those that have little money to fight expensive court battles will be the real victims. Needless to say the self-styled animal welfare lobby will pocket the cash and kill the animals. Is that conflict of interest with animal abuse ?

The puppy farm arguement is just a red herring. They can be easily be controlled. The real victims will be dog breeders in general. They want to make it too expensive for people to comply and those that can will do so while those that have little money to fight pexpensive court battles will be the real victims. Needless to say the self-styled animal welfare lobby will pocket the cash and kill the animals. Is that conflict of interest with animal abuse ?

I sense you dont like the RSPCA.Neither do I but I think it is more about the RSPCA getting in to bed with the goverrnment and doing the campaigning which to the average Joe sounds good but is more about the government getting their slice of your hard earned money that they werent getting before.In return they will give the RSPCA more funding out of your pocket.How did a pretty much a government/donation funded volounteer organisation beacome such a two headed monster?

I hate to say it but I think it will push ahead anyway as they want your cash and the sad thing is only those that do the right thing and always have will suffer financially.Those who dont still wont comply and wont pay a cent and the puppy farms will still keep on farming.What a farce.

Im not a breeder but have been a responsible pet owner all my lifeThere has to be some steps taken to stop the needless deaths of thousands of dogs each year which the majority have been bred by puppy farmers and sold with no emotion to whoever has the money.

No one has the right to breed animals for sale if they dont take responsability for the future of the pups and the same goes for the buyers,they should have to apply for a licence nominating the breed they want then breeders can take orders before mating their dogs.this would stop impulse buying.The buyer should have suitable facilities before hand.Any one who neglects or ill treats a dog should be banned for life.

I know a lot of breeders are worried about gestapo type rules etc but how many think they would be refused a licence if they are responsible.

there will be costs involved which can be covered by a fee from each sale.

I am not out to deprive anyone the pleasure of owning and loving a dog but I would love to see the day when pounds are only there to reunite lost dogs to their owners or find new owners in rare cases and the big PTS is replaced by adopted.

Any one who is against more stringent control should click on the urgent rescue page and picture their loved pets in this situation.

Can I come and live in your perfect world.Its sounds great. :laugh: