Comment Made By Rspca Chief Executive Mr. Michael Link

Moselle

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Mr. Linke's statement could prove to be of detriment to the staffy or mastiff?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT SURE

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you just changed the poll question when people didn't agree with you. You went in and emended it at 2.50 and took some of the options away and then back in again at 2.59 to put up your new question.

Yup. Sure looks that way to me!

Did you not read my responce to SBT's comment? It was my err in not wording the question properly in the very 1st place. I did explain that and proceeded to say that the previous 8 votes (yes) are to be added to the final poll results therefore nothing is lost.

So you just changed the poll question when people didn't agree with you. You went in and emended it at 2.50 and took some of the options away and then back in again at 2.59 to put up your new question.

Did you not read my responce to SBT's comment? It was my err in not wording the question properly in the very 1st place. I did explain that and proceeded to say that the previous 8 votes (yes) are to be added to the final poll results therefore nothing is lost.

I didn't answer yes to your two amended versions

Please stop amending the poll. The first 8 people answered one question, then got deleted, the second 8 could have answered to question a or b and now another two have voted.

The original 8 votes will be added to the final results of this poll, SBT, as I have already stated. I only have one question not two. I had worded it wrong in the 1st place and when I made the changes to the current question I failed to delete the original question and thereby this would have served only to confuse posters. Sheesh, sorry.

Edited by Moselle

Please stop amending the poll. The first 8 people answered one question, then got deleted, the second 8 could have answered to question a or b and now another two have voted.

The original 8 votes will be added to the final results of this poll, SBT, as I have already stated. I am not sure what you mean by saying that the 2nd lot could have answered question a or b? I only have one question. :confused:

I answered yes to your original question but as it stands now, I would not answer it in the same way.

i don't think such a small statement should garner this much attention.

i mean for dog's sake he was just saying the the person who allegedly saw this attack assumed the animals were pitbulls but the fact is that they could have been any type of dog, and provided two obvious examples off the top of his head to illustrate his point.

it has nothing to do with trying to shunt blame onto other breeds, or even xbreeds. he is NOT a supporter of BSL (though you clearly are from you previous posts) so the likelihood of trying to 'throw suspicion' onto another breed is a preposterous suggestion.

honestly. calm down, take a breath and think rationally because it really is stupid suggestion. :confused:

There are two different questions on your poll now, which are we answering??
DO YOU AGREE WITH MR. LINKE'S STATEMENT IMPLYING THAT THE CULPRITS FOR DOG ATTACKS COULD BE CARRIED OUT BY STAFFIES OR MASTIFFS INSTEAD OF PITBULLS?

which I think was your original question??

or

Do you believe that Mr. Linke's statement could prove to be of detriment to the staffy or mastiff?

which is below the other question and a different question.

red was the original question

then you came along and added the blue bit

two very different questions

I used to live in country NSW in a area where 'pig hunting' was a popular past time for alot of locals. Most of these dogs have mastiff, wolfhound, deerhound, ridgeback, amstaff and god knows what else in them, but not alot had PB even though they could easily have been percieved PB X's by many .I recall a number of stories in the news regarding dog attacks and when describing the dogs invloved the media often used the term 'pig dogs' or 'hunting dogs'. I found that offensive because most of the 'pig dogs' I knew were very well trained, loved people and kids and got on well with other dogs. The 'public' think of hunting dogs as dogs that will attack and kill anything that moves and this is not the case. The people that 'hunt' (seriously, not just weekend cowboys) need their dogs to be obedient, social and focused. Of course there are some people that buy these dogs and stick them in a cage and never give them the attention or stimulation they need and I think that it is these dogs that are going to attack. Same goes for the pittbull. Lot's of people want them for all the wrong reasons and it's these few that seem to get all the publicity. I don't think Mr. Linkes comments were meant to put the focus on other breeds, but to try and make people see that it is easy to mistake the breed for others.

I didn't answer yes to your two amended versions

That is your prerogative, SBT. At the end of the day, I have nothing to lose or gain as I don't own a staffy or a mastiff. I simply feel sorry for those that do following Mr. Linke's statement. :confused:

I did explain that and proceeded to say that the previous 8 votes (yes) are to be added to the final poll results therefore nothing is lost.

No, you didn't. Anyway it is hardly a proper poll when you keep fiddling with the question(s), notwithstanding that the results thus far do not favour your viewpoint at all.

Agree with you molasseslass - that's how I read it.

Rather than attacking Mr Linke, I think we should be applauding people in his position who, from a position of knowledge, are opposing BSL and saying "punish the deed, not the breed".

Yes, lets indeed punish the deed and not the breed and please let us not point the finger at other breeds of dogs likely to have been responsible for this attack. :confused:

There was no pointing of the finger nor claims that it was likely that the attacks were carried out by dogs of the given breeds or a CROSSBREED. It said "could have been".

Perhaps you are unaware of the meaning of the word "could".

could

–verb

1. a pt. of can1 .

–auxiliary verb

2. (used to express possibility): I wonder who that could be at the door. That couldn't be true.

3. (used to express conditional possibility or ability): You could do it if you tried.

4. (used in making polite requests): Could you open the door for me, please?

5. (used in asking for permission): Could I borrow your pen?

6. (used in offering suggestions or advice): You could write and ask for more information. You could at least have called me.

Edited by molasseslass

That is your prerogative, SBT. At the end of the day, I have nothing to lose or gain as I don't own a staffy or a mastiff. I simply feel sorry for those that do following Mr. Linke's statement. :confused:

Why? It's perfectly true that ANY breed or crossbreed can attack.

IMO Mr Linke is pointing out the bleeding obvious - most people can't tell one breed or crossbreed from another and can't seem to figure out that ALL dogs have teeth and can be aggressive in the wrong circumstances.

Edited by Sandra777

I don't think anyone will be putting their hand up to participate in another of your polls Moselle, maybe delete this one and start again THIS time with first question being the final one?!

I did explain that and proceeded to say that the previous 8 votes (yes) are to be added to the final poll results therefore nothing is lost.

No, you didn't. Anyway it is hardly a proper poll when you keep fiddling with the question(s), notwithstanding that the results thus far do not favour your viewpoint at all.

No, not at all. I don't know what the heck is going on; I have been trying to rectify the problem and am not having any luck! Heck, I want people's opinion just as much as you do, no matter if they agree with me or not. I was, in fact, trying to reword the question to this poll as I worded it wrong the 1st time around. Looks as though the poll is back on and lest we forget that, as you said BST, 8 people do agree with Mr. Linke's statement. (post 7).

Yes I did say that the original 8 votes in favour of Mr. Linke's statement will be added to the final poll results as my above post goes to prove. I haven't kept on fiddling with the question/s. I tried to make a change once and only the once! What are you up in arms about anyway given that the results to date are not in my favour? lol.

Edited by Moselle

I don't think anyone will be putting their hand up to participate in another of your polls Moselle, maybe delete this one and start again THIS time with first question being the final one?!

Crikey, this was my first attempt at a poll. By rights, I should have taken my time in making sure that I was wording the question correctly in the 1st place. I have learnt my lesson. If I was to delete this poll only to start again I would be crucified and accused of only doing so because the results were not to my liking, lol.

I tried to make a change once and only the once!

That's a fib, you've changed it at least twice.

I had worded it wrong in the 1st place and when I made the changes to the current question I failed to delete the original question

Once to change the question, a second time to remove a question. ETA: And how could you add the results of a previous poll to this one if they were answers to a different question?

Why exactly do you think saying "it could have been x, y or z breed" is detrimental to any of them? If he'd said "It could have been a poodle or a maltese or a crossbreed" would you be so worked up over it?

Edited by blissirritated