Another What Breed Thread

kiesha09

what about a lakeland terrier? though I'm not sure it would take kindly to being home alone, perhaps get two! :confused:

They are not big or small, they are 'just right'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeland_Terrier

No, agree with Lyndsay. :confused::laugh:

Do they need a pup? I've had some wonderful and easy working breeds that I have had as rehomes, some as old as 7. There are many many MANY working breeds out there who need homes and are beautiful dogs, and not as 'frantic' as the 'teenage' dogs.xxxx

Just because a dog is older does not mean you will not have it for years either, the shortest we had an older dog was 8 years :wave:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No they don't have to have a pup its just they want one which I can understand. THere is nothing better than bringing home a new puppy but I am going to suggest perhaps a breeder rehome situation might be best for them.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

Collie Smooth or Rough.

If they did their research they could probably handle a BC or an Aussie or a kelpie, from the right breeders, and pick the most easygoing of the litter.

I doubt a kelpie would suit, my kelpie boy makes my BC girl look like a couch potato!

And since they said they like BCs, if they thought they would be able to have one, they wouldn't be asking the question.

Thinking outside the square, what do people think of a Papillon?

They are smart, seem attentive to their owners and dance around like pretty lil' mini border collies (to my eyes). :confused: They may really appeal to these people.

Would they be too barky if left home alone?

My friend and her partner are looking to add a puppy to their household in the coming year and have asked me for their advice about what breed they should get. I honestly don't know what to recommend for them so said I would ask here. The scenario is:

They live in a house with a small/medium sized yard (think courtyard home). It is just the two of them and they are 27 and 28 years of age. They both work full time and are looking forward to bringing up a puppy and taking it to puppy school and obedience. One of them is from the country and has grown up with animals all his life and had Border Collies and Kelpies as pets.

The requirements of the dog they would like as put to me:

- Temperament like a Border Collie where they are very human/owner orientated

- Happy to be exercised for between 1/2 hour to hour a day

- Smart and easily trainable

- A breed that is more than likely going to enjoy playing ball and frisbee

- Doesn't exessively moult

- Medium sized

- Will happily be at home during the day whilst they're at work

They were very honest in saying really they would like 'a Border Collie without the exercise requirements and the need to continual mental stimulation.' They are quite dog savvy people and realise they cannot provide everything a BC would need but its the kind of dog they like. So can anyone think of something else that would suit?

Tell them to check out Finnish Lapphunds. Easy care, working dog but not as hyped as other working breeds can be. Will take whatever exercise you will want to do, but happy to be a couch potato in the down times. They will moult, twice a year, but outside of that you won't see much hair. Coat is wash n weat - minimal amount of grooming - and they are social butterflys. Will do flyball etc, but not obsessive about balls like other working breeds can be. If they want more info they can pop into the spitz thread or contact one of us Lappie people on here.

Oh, and they come in LOTS of colours :confused:

Tell them to check out Finnish Lapphunds. Easy care, working dog but not as hyped as other working breeds can be. Will take whatever exercise you will want to do, but happy to be a couch potato in the down times. They will moult, twice a year, but outside of that you won't see much hair. Coat is wash n weat - minimal amount of grooming - and they are social butterflys. Will do flyball etc, but not obsessive about balls like other working breeds can be. If they want more info they can pop into the spitz thread or contact one of us Lappie people on here.

Oh, and they come in LOTS of colours :rofl:

How easy are lappies to train?

Collie Smooth or Rough.

If they did their research they could probably handle a BC or an Aussie or a kelpie, from the right breeders, and pick the most easygoing of the litter.

I doubt a kelpie would suit, my kelpie boy makes my BC girl look like a couch potato!

And since they said they like BCs, if they thought they would be able to have one, they wouldn't be asking the question.

Sure, most working breeds will be high energy and a lot of work. But there are also a lot of individual dogs that aren't like that. I have met quite a few young working breeds who are calm and laidback. I've met BCs that are happier lying around the house than being out and about. I've also met BCs who spin and bark and carry on if they're not given hours of stimulation every day. A lot of people think that every working breed dog is GO GO GO which isn't the case.

Ok Im going to suggest a Koolie a medium sized dog.... unlike borders they have an "off " switch

They are very owner orientated and love their family, they will bark if someone arrives but thats about it lol

My koolies are happy with a walk or some training or even a good game of ball each day ..... and If I cannot walk them they do not go crazy.

They are very easy to train and by the time Kovu was 14weeks he knew sit,stay,come,down,roll over and speak .... they make great obedience and agility dogs.

My dogs will play ball all day if allowed too :(

Koolies do malt but not too badly.... they also come in many coat colours

So long as the dog is walked or played with koolies are happy in the yard while you work :rofl:

you will need to find a good Reg Breeder to get a very nice pup ;)

KOOLIE INFO

I had considered both these and are going to mention them but my initial thoughts are that the blokey country guy may not be convinced of the poodle :rofl: and the Cavalier King Charles may be a bit on the small side.

But thankyou for your suggestions so far!

His loss :(

I had considered both these and are going to mention them but my initial thoughts are that the blokey country guy may not be convinced of the poodle :rofl: and the Cavalier King Charles may be a bit on the small side.

His loss :(

2nd this

His loss :)

2nd this

3rd here!!! :eek:

I got 'nuthin' :( I love the 'what breed' threads, but they also exhaust me! ;)

Would a whippet fit the bill? I don't know much about them, just asking.

Not for having "border collie like" temperament. As an owner of a Whippet and Poodles I can tell you that training a Whippet is not at all like training a dog whose main aim in life is to be with you and to please you.

Howie the Whippet loves his ball and loves to fetch it but only if he feels like it. :rofl:

No hounds or terriers if attentiveness to owner and willingness to please is a high priority.

No gun dogs if only providing under an hour of exercise a day combined with keeping in a courtyard.

But plenty of other breeds to choose from. :rofl:

I know a few Greyhounds, Poodles and Shetland Sheepdogs that would fit the bill.

I wouldn't want to put a high energy medium to large working breed into a small home with both adults working fulltime.

I don't think Aussies or Border Collies would be approproate, unless the actual dog was a standout.

Edited by Parkeyre

I agree with everyone re the poodles! I personally love them :( but you're just not going to convince him of their greatness I'm afraid :rofl:

A whippet is also a good dog but they really want the willingness to please and attentive nature of a working dog which I don't think whippets necessarily are know for. I'm no expert on them so please let me know if I'm wrong here.

They don't actually have a courtyard as a backyard it is more of a small backyard. They have lawn and enough space for a good run around and to play ball and frisbee.

Gosh it certainly is a hard one! But I'm thinking they could make it work if they had a really really laid back working dog, it would just take very careful selection with the help of the breeder to get the right one.

Lappies could be interesting but as someone else asked how easy are they to train? Also how do they go in the heat? It gets very hot here in SA!

Oh, and they come in LOTS of colours :(

Sorry but Lappies would not be suitable for someone who wants a BC type dog! Or one who will happily chase balls. All Lappies I know will only return a ball a couple of times before looking at you as if to say "if you want it stop throwing it away or get it yourself" :rofl: While there are exceptions that is their nature generally. They also have typical spitz moments of "don't feel like it today".