Not A Problem More Of A Preventative Question

Puppybreath

Hasn't worked in our house. Genevieve gets bored with it after about 2 minutes and it doesn't make a difference what I put in it.

Other people have had great success though! I am sure someone will post about their positive results!

I pretty much do.

If I am working, mindy comes with me, so I like to feed her from Kongs because they keep her entertained for longer!

she will usually get 1 meal from a kong, 1 meal in treats (for training) and one in a bowl if we are at home or another kong if I am at work.

I like to feed her in a bowl sometimes, as thats what she will eventually get when she goes back for training.

I have also found that the treat balls are just as good as kongs, especially the ones that only dispense one piece of kibble at a time!

I am thinking of getting mindy one.

My puppy doesn't seem interested in Kongs unfortunately. :thumbsup: I've tried lots of different food combos, but she doesn't seem to know what to do with it beyond licking the end a little.

She has a treat ball too, but prefers to carry it around like a normal ball. She hasn't quite twigged yet that the biscuits that 'appear' come from it. Lol :thumbsup:

I don't think I've got the right size Kong though either. Started with a small red one, now have a large puppy one. Still no luck.

Hey lilli star have you tried just putting her dry food in there. I find they fall out pretty easily. I got very enthusiastic after first getting the kong and stuffed it with things that were really hard to get out! Mindy had no idea and gave up pretty quickly! so i just put some dry biccies in there which popped out quite quickly, now she loves the kong and I;ve started to put in more interesting things that take longer to get out. she now knows Kong=food, so will keep trying to get at it

I also use the large puppy kong now, but from about 8weeks- 14 weeks was using the medium puppy kong, though there is actually no difference in the size of the hole at the top.

Keep trying, i am sure Ruby will get in soon :thumbsup:

Edited by aussielover

My dog did not take to a kong initially. I have a red circular one, and started with all sorts of bits and pieces in it. Must have been too difficult for her, as I found she got frustrated after a while and would just leave it.

Then I tried dry food in it. This only lasted about 2 minutes, but still a success. I started adding peanut butter, cottage cheese, slowly increasing the variety, until I can pretty much stuff it solid and she knows what to do with it now.

I have, only 4 days ago or so, received a toy called "BOB-A-LONG" It is for dry food. It is shaped similar to a bowling pin, and has a weight at the bottom, so that it keeps bouncing upright after she pushes and prods it. So far, so good. I love that it is a no mess item, and for the last few nights, she has been getting her dry meal in it. I don't care if she scoots it around the lounge room, because there is nothing messy about it.

I have, only 4 days ago or so, received a toy called "BOB-A-LONG" It is for dry food

where did you get it? it sounds interesting..... Marley gets bored with his treat ball aswell, if everything doesn't just fall out when he rolls it he just walks away....Lazy!

I have, only 4 days ago or so, received a toy called "BOB-A-LONG" It is for dry food

where did you get it? it sounds interesting..... Marley gets bored with his treat ball aswell, if everything doesn't just fall out when he rolls it he just walks away....Lazy!

Vetnpet direct. $29.00.

Hey lilli star have you tried just putting her dry food in there. I find they fall out pretty easily. I got very enthusiastic after first getting the kong and stuffed it with things that were really hard to get out! Mindy had no idea and gave up pretty quickly! so i just put some dry biccies in there which popped out quite quickly, now she loves the kong and I;ve started to put in more interesting things that take longer to get out. she now knows Kong=food, so will keep trying to get at it

I agree. When i first got it, i stuffed it with hard to get out stuff and Jager lost interest quite quickly. I think just filled it with his kibble and it feel out really easily when he pushed it around. Once he mastered that i mixed a little peanut better with the kibble to make it just a little harder, then put bigger treats in there and progress up to now where he gets it frozen. He licks and bites the end when i first give it to him and then he leaves it for a bit to defrost and then goes back. Eventually he gets to the point where the bit at the very end doesnt come out easily so he picks the kong up by the small end and drops it on the ground until it loosens and then he licks and bites at it until he gets it all out.

Its an all day entertainment :confused:

Akira has had a kong since day dot and loves it. We originally put kibble in it, but that was gone too fast so we started stuffing it with harder things to get out. But she even got those out easily, so my sister bought a treat ball and we put kibble in that, which only falls out one piece at a time, and the kong gets peanut butter smeared inside it which takes a lot more work to get out.

Mine have a few different treat dispensers which they get their brekkie in.

They both get a Kong of a morning with frozen Nature's Gift tinned food. I found that for our older boy who gets bored easily, the Dental Kongs are the best as he can lick them from both ends and he finds that easier as food doesn't get stuck up in the small bit.

I love the 'Busy Buddy' range of treat toys. We have a Tug-a-Jug which is too hard for Satch but Ava loves it (I observed Satch one day steal this off Ava, proceed to lick the end which has tiny holes but no way to get the kibble out for about 2 minutes, then try and chew the very hard plastic for a few minutes, then get bored and walk away :(). We have a Squirrel Dude which is also quite hard to get kibble out of. We also have a Twist'n'Treat which is relatively easy, Satch will push it around with his nose. I have heaps so that I can alternate and they don't get bored :)

This thread is really interesting... I wondering what the purpose is of giving the meals in a Kong? Is it as I assume, to slow down the rate they eat at??

My 10wk old CS literally SCOFFS her food in seconds- I often have to go check cause I can't believe she has eaten in that quickly..... would it therefore be worth trying some in a kong?

I have a tiny little puppy one- and have put some of her kibble in it- she has grasped the concept... its just so cold here atm that I haven't really persisted that much with it for outside play.

I was planning to replace her lunchtime with a chicken wing soon so that she can stretch that meal out.... but perhaps this might be the way to go too!

Good idea. I just love all the ideas I`m getting from Dogzonline.I used a Kong for our dearly deprted Lab and he loved it.He`d spend ours licking out peanut butter as treat. However I think our lab puppy is too small for one as yet but I`ll use it in future for food rather than a treat.

My puppy doesn't even really like dry food, and isn't all that keen on the whole kong thing. I dutifully bought two different kongs and two other food dispensing toys, just to find she LOVES my kids soft toys, and the two little squeeky toys that I got. She has no time for the kong, even filled with fresh meat. A frozen bone, though, is filling a similar need except it is a little messy to have in her crate.