Cleaning Fake Grass

Nushie

Hey guys,

I have a pet loo and i clean the grass weekly with a high pressure hose. However, it doesn't seem to get rid of the urine smell, and i think it is starting to putting Jager off using it at times cause he goes up there, sniffs around and then jumps down he does think a few times before giving in. He never used to do this and i dont want to get the stage where he would rather go to the toilet on the ground.

I bought some 'pup care' which is supposed to neutralise the smell by dissolving the fats and proteins but it is really expensive and i have used a lot of it already and i only got it yesterday.

Does anyone have something that they use that gets rid of the smell but doesn't discourage Jager from using the toilet?

The 'pup care' smells rather citrus-y so i was thinking maybe mixing some water but i thought i should see what others use first.

Any suggestions??

Lemon juice or vinegar, I've heard, to neutralise some urine smells.

Haven't got a pet loo though :rofl:

Worth a try. Although I'd be keener on the vinegar, not sure if full-strength lemon juice would bleach the grass.

Awesome! I used to use vinegar on the carpets if he had accidents so it would make sense.

The vinegar wont discourage him from using the toilet will it?? I suppose if i rinse it off it shouldnt leave a strong scent behind.

I don't have a pet loo, but I also think that vinegar should use the trick. We used it to help clean up our mattress (and everywhere else in the house) that our kitten decided to pee on when we first got him. Did a great job and definitely helped remove the urine smell. The lady at the RSPCA also recommended using Fabreeze and it was wonderful.

I don't have a pet loo, but I also think that vinegar should use the trick. We used it to help clean up our mattress (and everywhere else in the house) that our kitten decided to pee on when we first got him. Did a great job and definitely helped remove the urine smell. The lady at the RSPCA also recommended using Fabreeze and it was wonderful.

Urine Off would break down the smell but it is costly

. for every day use.I'm sick of running low on newspaper & had thought of getting this grass,question is ....do they adjust readily to the grass from newspaper,does it come in different sizes?

What is Fabreeze?

Can you just buy another grass bit for the pet loo??

and i clean the grass weekly with a high pressure hose.

I would think that isn't anywhere near often enough. I would be doing it every second day. A weeks worth of urine to wash off.. nothing is going to make that stench go away in a hurry!

I would think that isn't anywhere near often enough. I would be doing it every second day. A weeks worth of urine to wash off.. nothing is going to make that stench go away in a hurry!

I have 3 grass squares that i use. And i wash once a week and rinse (warm water tipped over it - not high pressure hose) every 2-3 days. The is what the cleaning instructions were for the product.

I cant smell anything unless i am really close (as it rinsing or picking up to move etc.) but i am sure that Jager can smell it every time he goes to use it.

I will try the vinegar and see how that goes. Thanks guys

Urine Off would break down the smell but it is costly

. for every day use.I'm sick of running low on newspaper & had thought of getting this grass,question is ....do they adjust readily to the grass from newspaper,does it come in different sizes?

What is Fabreeze?

Jager was pretty much trained to newspaper when we got him so we just put the newspaper on top of the grass and then slowly reduced the amount and area the newspaper covered. He didnt seem to have any problems with the change over.

As for different sizes, if you make your own you can make it as big or small as you like. I think Jager prefers the fake grass i got at bunnings (cut it to size to fit the loo) then the stuff that comes with the pet loo.

Edited by Nushie

I have 3 grass squares that i use. And i wash once a week and rinse (warm water tipped over it - not high pressure hose) every 2-3 days. The is what the cleaning instructions were for the product.

I cant smell anything unless i am really close (as it rinsing or picking up to move etc.) but i am sure that Jager can smell it every time he goes to use it.

I will try the vinegar and see how that goes. Thanks guys

I practically do what you do.

1. interchange the different squares of grass I got from Bunnings.

2. Bring the pet loo once a week down to the DIY car wash to wash it down with a high pressure hose and some soap.

I normally throw the grass away after around 4-5 months of usage. 3 squares would normally last me around a year.

Never had any trouble getting bailey to use it. We no longer use it now as we've moved to a place with a small front yard and he now let's himself out through the doggy door to do his business.

I use BioZet in warm water (hot water kills off the emzymes ... apparently) to clean up any marking left by my youngest on the concrete.

So I would probably hose the grass stuff off and then soak it in a bucket or tub with some BioZet for a while.

Edited by Tilly

We ended up throwing ours away the dogs prefered to chew it than toilet on it. Have to agree with using White vinegar it's great for lots of things.

After thinking,looking ra ra ra what shall I do re a Loo,mine prefer to chewthe grass as well,I now have 3 grass mats at the doors on to the pergola,not my intentions!

I went & brought huge container to use the lid,3 fake grass pieces cut to size plus a large bag of Kitty Litter.

..I will just have to hose Pergola off when it is wet & stick to newspaper in the house,they don't mind piddling on their carpet mats under pergola,which I just have to replace after wet weather,not worth cleaning probably cost more to clean or use "Urine Off"at $10.00 a mat.