Another Fit

Kirislin

My poor boy Tag, I am pretty sure he's just had another fit. Once again I didn't see or hear anything and this time I was awake. I'd just turned my lamp off after reading a bit in bed when he came in and jumped on the bed. He's not supposed to do that but even before I turned the light on I could tell by his movements in the dark he was frightened and stressed. He was coming to me for help. I got up and lifted him off the bed and as I did he splayed his legs when I put him on the floor, like he was frightened he'd fall, or couldn't quite tell which way was up. He wanted to go outside but wasn't able to negotiate the doggy door so I helped him outside. He did his business and came in but was anxious and sort of trotting in a funny crouching way, as if he thought he'd fall. I put him to bed and he seemed comforted to be somewhere warm and safe. His heart wasn't racing, he just seemed confused and frightened.

I think he had two fits fairly close together sometime around April last year. I've got it written down somewhere (on vets advice) I've never actually seen him having one, just the aftermath when he is wobbly and confused. From what the vet told me then they wont medicate unless they become alot more frequent. I will have a talk to him tomorrow though and let him know I think Tags had another. :(

Poor darlin' :(

He's not allowed to sleep on your bed?

No, 5 in the bed is just too many. He has a couch that he sleeps on and I tuck him in every night under a doona. He's allowed to come in for cuddles in the morning though.

I've been to check on him twice since I wrote about his fit and he seems OK, just laying there quietly. I hope he doesn't start having them alot. :)

From what the vet told me then they wont medicate unless they become alot more frequent. I will have a talk to him tomorrow though and let him know I think Tags had another. :(

Although my experience is very limited, I believe that to be the correct action.

Danny has fits from time to time and I keep a note of date, hour, duration and what happens. I generally hear a bit of a scrabbling sound as Danny can't keep his balance and he is trying to get to me. I pick him up, sit in a comfy chair and just hold him very tightly until it is over. He doesn't thrash around, just goes stiff and clings to me for dear life; he doesn't lose consciousness or dribble; he is quite aware of what is happening and, like Tag, is upset and frightened. If I go to put him down before he is ready, he won't let go so I just keep holding him.

When the fit is completely over, I put him on the floor, he gives himself a shake, his tail goes up and he trots off as though nothing has happened. These episodes last from between 2 to 5 minutes - rarely longer. Between the most recent and the one before was a period of 9 months, so they are very infrequent.

I hope Tag will be okay.

Our schmoo has fits when not medicated , we medicated when she had a cluster of five in one day , before that it was one or two a month , hers were caused by an infection in the brain , unfortunately although the infection has been treated the damage has not yet healed ,

As she has Grand Mal fits where she loses control of her bowel and bladder she also releases her anal glands at the same time , the one thing that told us she had a fit when we were not home was the telltale smell on her , it hangs around for about 5 hours afterwards clearly definable and for a day or two as a sort of mousey smell ,

the other thing is exhaustion and increased hunger and thirst , she will sleep for several hours solid after a fit and want a large amount of water as well as hunting for food .

Watch the pattern and record it , some vets are now starting medication at the first fit in an effort to stop the brain path for fitting increasing

When we were collecting her medication earlier this month we had to wait for its delivery to the vet , as their supply had been used by dogs getting to the today tomorrow and yesterday bush that is flowering in some areas at the moment , if you have any of this plant Pull it out !

Our schmoo has fits when not medicated , we medicated when she had a cluster of five in one day , before that it was one or two a month , hers were caused by an infection in the brain , unfortunately although the infection has been treated the damage has not yet healed ,

As she has Grand Mal fits where she loses control of her bowel and bladder she also releases her anal glands at the same time , the one thing that told us she had a fit when we were not home was the telltale smell on her , it hangs around for about 5 hours afterwards clearly definable and for a day or two as a sort of mousey smell ,

the other thing is exhaustion and increased hunger and thirst , she will sleep for several hours solid after a fit and want a large amount of water as well as hunting for food .

Watch the pattern and record it , some vets are now starting medication at the first fit in an effort to stop the brain path for fitting increasing

When we were collecting her medication earlier this month we had to wait for its delivery to the vet , as their supply had been used by dogs getting to the today tomorrow and yesterday bush that is flowering in some areas at the moment , if you have any of this plant Pull it out !

HUH?!! what on Earth is this, I've never heard of it. I dont think my dogs have been eating anything out of the ordinary.

When I got up this morning Tag seemed fine but he must have done a wee in the bathroom, the first time anyone's messed inside overnight since they learned to use the doggy door. I know just after his funny turn he didn't want to use the door so I assume it's him who had the accident. I also noticed when I went outside that someone vomited, I'm guessing that was poor Taggy too. He's back to his normal happy self now though.

Its a flowing bush , grows to about 2 meters and is quite attractive to dogs , has a large tube/bell like flower normal colour is white , was promoted by don bourk a few years ago and dogs have been getting sick from it ever since , it contains a nerotoxin , google will give you some good picks of it

My Labrador in South Africa use to get fits..... at first the doctor did not want to give him medication but when the fits began to last up to 10 min he did.

Most of the time it was when he got really excited..... like when we return after a weekend away etc. but like Schmoo's boss said, even if I did not see the fit I could smell he had one because of the smell of his anal glands.

He started when he was about 2 years old, before medication he got up to one a day...... he is almost 10 now and a very happy spoilt Labrador.

He was/is my first hart dog and leaving him in South Africa was the hardest thing I ever did.... but I visited him in March when I was there and he is of his medication and did not have a fit in months, he is in wonderful condition, still as silly as a puppy...... :eek:

I hope Tag is ok, just give him lots of hugs.....

He will be 6 in September. They are definite "funny turns" with a clear ending of that behaviour and he goes back to normal. As far as I know it's been over a year since he had one.

Waaay too young for dementia then. :eek:

Just googled "canine night terrors" - points towards epilpesy.

He will be 6 in September. They are definite "funny turns" with a clear ending of that behaviour and he goes back to normal. As far as I know it's been over a year since he had one.

can you point me to the link, I tried and only got three hits and none were related to canine epilepsy.

I got the impression he seemed to be partially blind last night, or certainly his vision was affected. I hadn't noticed that with the other time.

can you point me to the link, I tried and only got three hits and none were related to canine epilepsy.

I got the impression he seemed to be partially blind last night, or certainly his vision was affected. I hadn't noticed that with the other time.

First hit sent me here

Then here

I just looked it up because Kallie is almost completely blind (I just thought it was from old age)...... wonder if it could be from the fits. :eek:

After the Seizure

Some dogs may be normal after a seizure, but other dogs may be a bit disoriented.

Common signs you will notice after a seizure include:

•Pacing

•Whining

•Extreme hunger

•Blindness

•Disorientation

•Rare aggression

You may also notice difficulty walking, bumping into to furniture, getting stuck in corners, attempting to eat anything, and a persistent crying or whining.

When your dog regains full consciousness, he may want to pace around, which is normal. Help him find a place and let him just walk it off. Your dog may want to pace for a short period or as long as 24 hours.

Also offer small amounts of food and water, as some dogs may get hungry after having a seizure. The small bits of food may help calm him down.

If your dog's body temperature rose from the seizure, you want to consult your vet so that you can find the best way to lower and balance out your dog's temperature.

I had a boy with very debilitating epilepsy for several years. Long story but he always had problems working out where he was and who was with him afterwards. It was like he couldn't see or hear. He would be sniffing the air like he was trying to work it all out that way. Hopefully this is the worst it will ever get for you and Tag. It is manageable.

Our Digger has seizures too. Although he hasn't had one since early this year, (as far as we are aware), they were usually about 6-8 weeks apart. He would just collapse and be unable to move his legs, they go very stiff, he drools and is completely unaware of his surroundings. Usually only last a few minutes, then he gets up and is a bit wobbly for a while, but after about 15-20 minutes, you wouldn't know anything had happened. The same advice from our vet - no medication unless it gets really frequent. But we have been asked to take him in to the vet within 24 hours of his next seizure so they can do a blood test.

Can be very scary, but we just sit with him and talk to him, even though we don't think he knows we're there, until he comes out of it.

He has only ever had one really bad one when he was thrashing around, like he was trying to run away, and yelping. Awful.

Hope your Tag is ok.