Breeding Rights To Kennels.

Dee_al

Just a question, coz I got asked the same thing today but didn't no the answer. If you buy a puppy from a reg breeder and they say that because the pup has good lines, once the pup passes all health checks and turns out to be a good example of the breed, they request the use of him the once. Would the owners receive any payment for the kennel using the dog?

It depends on the agreement.

many pups are sold on teh condition that they return for a litter.

Who is paying for the dog? was the dog reduced in price, what about paying for health checks?

If it's the breeder forking out for the health tests, and they gave you the pup, then I don't think they should have to pay the buyer.

But if the health testing was by the buyer, and the buyer paid full price, the breeder should Lease the dog and pay for it.

If the dog was paid for full price with papers then the owner should receive a stud fee in return for the dog being used... but i'd say it'd only be fair for the owner to pay the health testing... or the breeder pays for health testing but the cost comes off the stud fee.

If the breeder sold the pup on condition or in co-ownership then make sure it's in writing and very clear and concise as to who gets what and who pays for what.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Easiest way would be for the dog's owner to control everything.

Health test dog

Harvest and store semen

Charge for use of straws.

Owner will need to be CC registered and dog on Main Register. Any other situation means an ongoing relationship between owner and kennels that will need to be managed.

Edited by poodlefan

Depends on the breeder. In most cases I know of the breeder would use the dog for free but any outside studs would be shared. It would be usual for the breeder to pay for the health testing if it wasn't otherwise going to be done. I think a very small price to pay for a quality dog the breeder might otherwise keep themselves.

Easiest way would be for the dog's owner to control everything.

Health test dog

Harvest and store semen

Charge for use of straws.

Owner will need to be CC registered and dog on Main Register. Any other situation means an ongoing relationship between owner and kennels that will need to be managed.

Wise words there.

From a non-breeders perspective I am probably dragging this off track a little, but for me it comes back to what the owner wants out of the dog and whether they want to manage an entire animal.

If I had paid for the dog I would not be keeping it entire just so that a breeder can use it. There would have to be a better reason (like health, development etc etc.), but in my case it would not happen because I would be neutering at around 14 months for a boy.

IFF I had decided to keep him entire and the breeder wanted to use him then I would be asking for them to pay for the health testing and any other associate costs. As long as there are no risks to my dog then I woudn't really have an issue with a stud fee one way or the other.

She has paid full price for the dog, picks t up in a few weeks. She got an emil stating that in order to receive the full papers the kennels want the right to use semen the once. Apparently she will sign the contract when she picks him up stating she has agreed to this, but she isnt really sure she does agree. She is planning on showing the pup so does need the papers.