"close The Puppy Farms"

Pointees

"DOGS Victoria supports the RSPCA in a campaign to stop dogs being used by uncaring people operating puppy farms in Victoria.

We promote the responsible breeding and ownership of dogs. Our code of ethics is very clear on this: breeding should not be done for commercial purposes or profit, but rather to improve the breeds' function, health and temperament.

This problem must be approached from both ends: the producer and the consumer.

DOGS Victoria and the RSPCA advise purchasing a puppy from a reputal breeder or adopting a pet from a shlter or rescue organisation."

hmmm they should be adding "do not buy from a breeder that breeds for profit" that should sort the chaff from the hay.

Well perhaps they should re consider how much money the CC's make each year from export certificates which are issued to their breeders to send whole litters of puppies out to over seas pet shops.

hmmm they should be adding "do not buy from a breeder that breeds for profit" that should sort the chaff from the hay.

come to think of it, perhaps the quickest way to eliminate "a breeder that breeds for profit" from the canine councils make it besides the rules 6 litters per bitch and the one being condsidered i gather from another thread only allowed to register was it 20 pups max a year. how about they also fix a set price for pups?

like no breeder can sell a pup for over say 400 dollars or their membership is cancelled?

dont think that could return a profit after adding feed, vet costs n the other incidentals which seem to add up terryfyingly fast.

always figured the day will come when only those who can afford to breed at a loss will be allowed to be "breeders" anyway.

be interesting to see how many members will be left after 3 or 4 years.

i recall quite some time ago there was a survey done and it was discovered the majority of new members didnt last 5 years, n the majority of over 6 years members were pensioners who used the extra money from their pups to supplement their pension. and its interesting to see how many at the shows are in the pensioner category.

wonder how many will remain if this comes in. wonder what percentage of pensioners have sufficient income to survive once locked into only breeding if they can absorb the loss?

thats how its worked for decades with pedigree horses.

although they dont deregister the few who do manage a miracle with those as there are so few. think it was 6 percent. (yes there was a survey done)

the rest as their survey revealed, are subsidising the pleasure horse industry by supplying below the cost of production.

I would be all for the idea but for one thing. All this is doing is making registered breeders out to be the only ones responsible for dumped and/or too many dogs.

didnt someone post that as it already stands, the number of registered dogs bred per year is a . something fraction of the number of estimated dogs surrendered or lost in the the community?

have i missed somthing, is there anything being considered for the i suspect tens thousands of people who are breeding either the occasional or more litter/litters that are nor or ever will, become registered breeders?

most of the time when i ask someone where they got there darling puppy, the answer is not that it came from a registered breeder. think in our street alone there is only two came from registered breeders and theres and AWFUL lot of doggies round here.

i even tried to rehome a friends ex broodbitch with a nearby pensioner, free, gratis, zilch, but he decided he just had to have a puppy and the pet shop gave him a discount for a pretty little pom pup they couldnt sell. so he got it for only 400. he didnt even know what patella is. n if i can see it in a pup that young its going to have some interesting way of going by the time its adult.

Edited by asal

some people are so silly $400 for a petshop pup, did anyone tell him he is now supporting puppy farms, i usually try and shock people by giving them youtube footage of puppy farms and why it isn't a good idea to buy from a petshop, online or even supporting petshops who have animals inside. most people go "oh god i had no idea".... the RSPCA have a campaign going in Melbourne atm and puppy farm dogs are displayed on huge billboards detering people. its getting alot of publicity.

also i have heard of large reg breeders who have many many litters a year in the gazette are now being questioned by the VCA as to why they are having so many litters as VCA dogsvictoria has a project going to try to address puppy farmers within our ranks. suggested by a good friend of mine in the ear of a person high up and they listened :laugh: so we are very happy about this. its about time!!!!!!!!

some people are so silly $400 for a petshop pup, did anyone tell him he is now supporting puppy farms, i usually try and shock people by giving them youtube footage of puppy farms and why it isn't a good idea to buy from a petshop, online or even supporting petshops who have animals inside. most people go "oh god i had no idea".... the RSPCA have a campaign going in Melbourne atm and puppy farm dogs are displayed on huge billboards detering people. its getting alot of publicity.

also i have heard of large reg breeders who have many many litters a year in the gazette are now being questioned by the VCA as to why they are having so many litters as VCA dogsvictoria has a project going to try to address puppy farmers within our ranks. suggested by a good friend of mine in the ear of a person high up and they listened :laugh: so we are very happy about this. its about time!!!!!!!!

So high up, that their head was up the proverbial?

Edited by lilli

Since when has penalising those who do the right thing and/or happen to have bitches that are excellent producers ( something we should all be striving for ) been the way to eliminate the puppy farmers ?

:laugh: the person that is being questioned isn't doing the right thing believe you me and is very well known not to be doing the right thing. I didn't say anything about penalising what i said was questioned as to why and then giving the breeder the chance to explain why.

i won't attempt to answer that question above and get into a debate about people doing the right thing or wrong thing and trying to determine who is doing right or wrong, as its not my area to do this its VCA area thats why they are questioning i believe. i am just conveying what our association in victoria are doing to answer the call from some of its members to curb puppy farmers within our ranks and this is "known" puppy farmers as we all know that being registered with ANKC isn't a guarantee that all registered breeders are good and doing right ofcourse, as i've been writing for years in my articles.. as i've seen for years too and really i am talking about group 1 in my area not any other breeds, i understand it is a different kettle of fish for bigger breeds as there is already a thread on what they are proposing and getting it right with what is the acceptable protocol on determining who is reputable and unreputable.

it all stemmed from a friend that is so against puppy mills in this state and wants to see them banned and has come across some registered establishments that are questionable as well. won't go into details as obviously i am liable if i say anymore but there is a courtcases involved in these ones.

Edited by toy dog

also i have heard of large reg breeders who have many many litters a year in the gazette are now being questioned by the VCA as to why they are having so many litters as VCA dogsvictoria has a project going to try to address puppy farmers within our ranks. suggested by a good friend of mine in the ear of a person high up and they listened :rofl: so we are very happy about this. its about time!!!!!!!!

So high up, that their head was up the proverbial?

:laugh: obviously i've hit a nerve, :laugh:

i recall quite some time ago there was a survey done and it was discovered the majority of new members didnt last 5 years, n the majority of over 6 years members were pensioners who used the extra money from their pups to supplement their pension. and its interesting to see how many at the shows are in the pensioner category.wonder how many will remain if this comes in. wonder what percentage of pensioners have sufficient income to survive once locked into only breeding if they can absorb the loss?

i've always wondered how do pensioners breed a litter of pups and raise them with the cost of raising a litter? the amount of money we spend on our little dogs is not for a person on a pension or limited income really. if i wasn't working there would be no way i'd be breeding dogs full stop. i know of one pensioner lady who told me she survived on credit cards!