Holistic Vs Advance

LDH

My 4 year-old border collie cross has had issues with allergies since I got her 2 years ago. Mostly it seems to be a contact issue (ie a red rash flares up on her stomach and ears and is particularly bad in Summer - so seems to be triggered by grasses etc). Generally it is brought back under control by a short course of cortisone tablets and occasionally anti-biotics. I have always fed her Advance Chicken & Rice but recently changed her over to Holistic Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal because I liked the idea of it being more 'natural'. I chose this particular blend becuase it seemed to be specifially designed for more sensitive dogs. However, she now seems to have developed a generalised itch all over her body - I can't see any redness or anything but she is constantly scratching. The only variable which has changed recenltly has been her food. Could the Holistic perhaps be worse for her than Advance?? Or could it be the fish she is reacting to, so perhaps I should try the Holistic Chicken meal and rice formula?

Would be grateful for any advice. I know the itching could be due to so many things but at the moment her change in diet is the only thing I can think of (given we have not changed anything else in her environment). Thanks in advance for any advice ;)

HI , If the only thing that has changed is the dinner then best to change back , but be prepared that it is not the food , all the wattle trees have decided that it is spring this week here and a flowering like mad , plus a few other things as well have a look around your garden and see if any plants have come up recently too

Good luck with the dinner change

HI , If the only thing that has changed is the dinner then best to change back , but be prepared that it is not the food , all the wattle trees have decided that it is spring this week here and a flowering like mad , plus a few other things as well have a look around your garden and see if any plants have come up recently too

Good luck with the dinner change

I agree, some of the sping flowering plants have bloomed this week also. Could be that. But could also be the food. What was the reason you changed kibbles? It might be worth changing back, or returning the EP fishy one for a bag of the chix one and see if that makes a difference before changing back to the Advance.

Good luck I hope you find the culprit soon ;)

some dogs scratch simply because it's a change

give her antihistamines instead of cortisone. Antibiotics will only be needed if there is a bacterial infection definately present on the skin. If she's not getting red or flaring up severely it may simply be environmental hitting her while her bodys adapting to the new ingredients

here are the ingredients

Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals, Oatmeal, round Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Menhaden Fish Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Peas, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Apples, Blueberries, Inulin, Beta-Carotene, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes Of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtilus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae, and Aspergillus niger.

Advance

Chicken and chicken by-products; rice; corn; sorghum; chicken digest; chicken tallow; vegetable fi bre; vegetable oil; vegetable protein concentrate; poultry and poultry by-products; iodised salt; potassium chloride; di-calcium phosphate; taurine; vitamin E; zinc sulphate; choline chloride; antioxidants; vitamin C; lucerne meal; marigold meal; tomato powder; ferrous sulphate (iron); copper sulphate; vitamin A; calcium pantothenate; sodium selenite; vitamin B2; vitamin B12; potassium iodide; vitamin B1; niacin; vitamin D3; vitamin B6; folic acid.

Thanks so much for your responses. Yes, my first thought was that it was environmental because she does react (mostly during Spring/Summer) to plants etc. But in this case she scratching her back and in between her toes (where she normally would not have any reactions). Her eyes have also become quite weepy. The only thing I can think of which has changed is the food. I appreciate the advice that she may just be getting used to the new food - I didn't think of that but it does make sense. My concern is she really is scratching quite badly and now with her eyes, I hate to see her in so much discomfort. The thing is I can't see much of anything on her skin, except some redness from the scratching. Normally with her other reactions to plants etc she develops little red welts which can then become infected. Should I maybe persist with the food then and couple it with some antihistamines?

thanks so much for your help!

that does sound like a grass/pollen allergy. If she's prone to hives like my rottweiler, trust me the wrong food brings on an instant attack. If she's been on it for a week solely, and no one has fed her anything else or added new snacks or treats, I would be tempted to put it down to environment. I use phenergen on my dog because it settles his redness quickly and also lets him sleep off the discomfort (not that makes them drowsy lol) I think other people use Claratyne, you can call a vet to see what they recommend, but I know for sure phenergen is OK.

Do you have any wandering jew growing in your lawn or garden as this can be a real bad one for some sensitive dogs. Also I would be interested to hear what your vet has said about it. I took my girl to the vet as she was chewing her legs & feet to bit & he found very tiny grass ticks, which I couldn't see.

What has your vet suggested. Also some dogs react very badly to flea saliva.

I notice you are in Qld. We are in Brisbane and I have noticed that our dog (who has allergies) has been very itchy for a couple of weeks. It is exactly as you described your dog's symptoms. Generalised itching and constant scratching but no welts or rash. I thought it may have been a reaction to the amount of chicken he was eating when he had a bout of gastro recently but I think it could be what others are suggesting.ie. allergies from pollen. It has been very windy here lately. Even the Atopica and anti histamines he takes is not very effective at the moment. I have changed him over from Royal Canin to Pro Plan for sensitive skin and stomach but suspect that the main culprit is environmental rather than food related. I hope your dog finds some relief from the itching. You feel so sorry for them when they are scratching all the time.

that does sound like a grass/pollen allergy. If she's prone to hives like my rottweiler, trust me the wrong food brings on an instant attack. If she's been on it for a week solely, and no one has fed her anything else or added new snacks or treats, I would be tempted to put it down to environment. I use phenergen on my dog because it settles his redness quickly and also lets him sleep off the discomfort (not that makes them drowsy lol) I think other people use Claratyne, you can call a vet to see what they recommend, but I know for sure phenergen is OK.

We use Zyrtec, my dog takes 4 a day when he is very bad which he is at the moment, must be loads of pollens in the air!