Why Feed Mince?

I go through about 4kg's of raw mince a week for my two for one of their daily meals. They get chicken wings/necks on top. It is the only food I can hide things in - tablets, flaxseed, raw eggs, joint supplments,very very finely chopped liver etc. It is also for balance - oh and wet weather..lol as they eat their bones on the grass - "bowled" food on the covered deck.

Other than the mince, they get another meal each day of RMB's whole fish, whole ox tongue/hearts etc.

Edited by anniek

Convenience and safety with dogs that inhale food.

I don't feed bones as food and aside from buying a chunk of meat and cutting it into pieces, mince is the easier option. My dogs get their teeth cleaning benefits and jaw exercise through other means.

Edited by ~Anne~

We buy minced beef in bulk and find it economical. Our dogs eat all RMB's the usual wings, necks, frames, offal, lamb flaps all bought in bulk, and mince is a small part of their diet, but a great source of protein and great to mix other ingredients through. Nothing at all wrong with that.

convenience, price, availability.

My dog gets plenty of bones. Around 50% of his daily diet consists of raw meaty bones, but I find he does better when also given a portion of muscle meat on top of this (among other things). Mince fills this gap.

Occasionally I will buy a big slab of beef or lamb as a alternative, or a whole small chicken - but at an average of $8-$16 per kilo those things are simply way too expensive to feed to a large dog on a daily basis.

I can buy roo mince in bulk or $3 per kilo. I can (and do) buy roo chunks from the same supplier when available.

Because I don't have access to whole animals? Orbit gets about 500g of straight muscle meat in the mornings and gets about 1kg worth of meaty bones or his evening meal. Sometimes his bones have a lot of meat, other times not. I figure if he was to be in the wild killing prey, the prey would generally have a higher amount of muscle meat than edible bones, so I guess I try to replicate that at home.

If I could always source his muscle meat in whole chunks that he had to shred, chew and tear, I would. But reality is that most types of muscle meat you can buy, is already minced.

What do you mean by 'muscle meat'? I'm wondering where everyone gets good dog mince from :laugh: It sounds good whatever you get! :rofl:

Because I don't have access to whole animals? Orbit gets about 500g of straight muscle meat in the mornings and gets about 1kg worth of meaty bones or his evening meal. Sometimes his bones have a lot of meat, other times not. I figure if he was to be in the wild killing prey, the prey would generally have a higher amount of muscle meat than edible bones, so I guess I try to replicate that at home.

If I could always source his muscle meat in whole chunks that he had to shred, chew and tear, I would. But reality is that most types of muscle meat you can buy, is already minced.

What do you mean by 'muscle meat'? I'm wondering where everyone gets good dog mince from :laugh: It sounds good whatever you get! :rofl:

Muscle meat = plain old meat without bone or offal ;)

I prefer to buy pet quality mince, because it usually contains a fair bit of offal and minced bones anyway. I normally use chicken mince and beef mince. My dogs get raw bones once a week for their teeth, and whole chicken carcasses too.

I buy pet mince then make up a mixture that includes eggs, vegetable mush, oil, tinned fish etc. Much easier to mix them with mince. My dogs get a raw meaty bone every day but I've switched largely to kibble as one of my dogs has issues eating too much raw meat/bone.