Rare Breeds Spotting.........

Debyork2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it a bit of a shame when people ask what my Aussie Terriers are!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to have so many people ask about my Aussie Terrier Poochie too. They'd insist she must've been a silky terrier x maltese or something weird and when I informed them she was a purebred I'd get the "are you sure?" look! :laugh:

Lately I've been seeing Newfoundlands and a Weimaraner who's about 8. I don't know if they are considered "rare" but they are from a location, which seems to have a lot of rescue dogs, mixed breeds and staffies.

Oh and there's a lady down the street who owns a black Scottish Terrier and every winter she walks him in his gorgeous red tartan coat. So damn adorable! :laugh:

I find it a bit of a shame when people ask what my Aussie Terriers are!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to have so many people ask about my Aussie Terrier Poochie too. They'd insist she must've been a silky terrier x maltese or something weird and when I informed them she was a purebred I'd get the "are you sure?" look! :laugh:

Lately I've been seeing Newfoundlands and a Weimaraner who's about 8. I don't know if they are considered "rare" but they are from a location, which seems to have a lot of rescue dogs, mixed breeds and staffies.

Oh and there's a lady down the street who owns a black Scottish Terrier and every winter she walks him in his gorgeous red tartan coat. So damn adorable! :laugh:

i was so surprised when i started grooming in a small country town

i have 6 Scottish terriers on my books :laugh:

also

Wire-haired Fox Terrier

Welsh Terrier

newfy

st Bernard

smithfield

not complaining here i love them all

I impressed a couple walking on the beach by telling them their Pharoah Hounds were beautiful. I'm pretty good with dog breeds, when I was a kid I had a "dog-spotting" book you could tick the breeds off.

But I got it wrong a couple of weeks ago, THOUGHT I saw a black and tan finnish lapphund...don't know how many if any are in NZ, I've certainly never seen one before. And I said "oh wow is that a Finnish Lapphund" and she was offended and said it was a "SIBORD" (a siberian husky cross border collie). Oops.

I want to add, I saw a black and tan hovawart today

I'm jealous! :laugh: Are they an imported pet or are they going to work for breed recognition.

He said he was an import, he was his pet in the US and when he moved here for business he brought him along.

His vet here refuses to believe it isn't a rotty x golden :laugh:

I'm jealous! :laugh: Are they an imported pet or are they going to work for breed recognition.

He said he was an import, he was his pet in the US and when he moved here for business he brought him along.

His vet here refuses to believe it isn't a rotty x golden :laugh:

OMG, I just googled them- what beautiful dogs.

Mita, I don't think anyone has identified our dog as a tibbie yet. Mostly we hear that he is a "funny looking chihuahua"!

He doesn't look anything like a 'funny looking chihuahua'!!!!!!!!!

I came across a lady with a black & white tibbie & told her how nice it was to see a Tibetan Spaniel. She nearly fell over with shock. She told me she'd owned pet tibbies for 15 years & I was the first stranger who'd ever recognised the breed! :thumbsup:

Corvus,

yes in Sydney. They look so much like wolves and are quite big.

Also seen

Coton de Tulear,

Dutch Shepherd

Miniature Aussie Shepherd,

Thai Ridgebacks (not very friendly and a bit ugly)

Pražský Krysařík These are the ones that are tiny like a small chihuahua.

Shikoku

All of these were seen in Australia

Hi dasha do you know the owner of the Dutch Shepherd or did you just see it somewhere in Sydney?

There is someone around here with two Tibbies and some sort of big goofy oodle. She didn't seem wildly surprised when I asked her if they were Tibetan Spaniels, but then, I guess sometimes I don't seem wildly surprised when someone asks me if that's a Swedish Vallhund. I'm usually SO surprised I'm in shock and just casually answer "Yes, that's right." as I try to gather my wits. Actually, someone at the dog park recently said to me "What's the little Vallhund's name?" She didn't even have to check she was that confident! I just kind of gaped a bit like a fish and said "Erik." She totally saw the appropriateness of the name and had a good laugh. It's weird the dog nerds you come across when you have an unusual breed. She's another UK ex-pat, though. I'm sure that's the only way you can possibly be familiar with Vallhunds without being a total diehard dog geek. :(

I'm jealous! :rofl: Are they an imported pet or are they going to work for breed recognition.

His vet here refuses to believe it isn't a rotty x golden :(

Just googled them too. OMG they are beautiful :rofl:

I can see why the vet thinks they might be rotty x golden - pics on google showed them with the looks of a golden but colours of rotty

I'm jealous! :) Are they an imported pet or are they going to work for breed recognition.

His vet here refuses to believe it isn't a rotty x golden :(

Just googled them too. OMG they are beautiful :rofl:

I can see why the vet thinks they might be rotty x golden - pics on google showed them with the looks of a golden but colours of rotty

They are beatiful dogs but no one seems to want to get them started here. :rofl:

One of our customers has a Glen of Imaal Terrier and another a Black Russian Terrier which are very different, no one has ever guessed my CASD but I wouldn't expect them to either as I had never even heard of them until I was researching a suitable Flock Guardian for us.

Edited by casowner

I met the one and only Spanish Mastiff in Aus today :rofl: And i knew what he was :rofl:

I thought Samantha Cooper had a pair in Victoria?

She definitely has two - I've spoken with her daughter Nadine about them when she imported her second one - it was just a puppy, and a big goofy one at that.

Mindy had a really good play with a portugese water dog the other day as well. It looked exactly like a lot of labradoodle type dogs and I embarrased myself by asking whether it was a poodle cross :rofl:

lol its not just strangers that get breeds wrong

i had a lady book a labradoodle in for grooming once

you can imagine my surprise when she walked in the door and following along behind her was a Murry river curly coated reviver

she insisted she paid good money for her labradoodle

if you ask me she got a better deal with the MRCCR

If she bought it on the border it may well have been sold to her as a Labradoodle. Some moronic couple bred a Labradoodle with a MRCCR and sold the pups as Labradoodles - they had a big photo spread in the paper and all pups sold that day. I went to puppy preschool with two of them and one of them had really thrown to the MRCCR. Of course she could also be stupid :shrug:

I saw a Basset Fauve de Bretagne at the royal show on Friday.

Woohoo - that would have either been Carla or Marcus. Did you give them a squish??? :D