Rare Breeds Spotting.........

Debyork2

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen two Salukis in the last month. :o One walking near my house, and one at the vet. The one at the vet was just a puppy and the lady was shocked that I knew what breed it was. ;)

Hehehehe. ;)

I got a shock that a lady knew my two were Salukis when I was walking around the lake at Belair National Park a few months ago! I am often asked what breed they are but this lady walked right up and said (May I pat them?) What lovely Salukis!!

I was speechless! I often get "Afghan?", "Greyhound-cross?", even had "Long haired Poodle?" (WTF!? :laugh: )

Sonia :mad

ETA .... I saw a BMD today.... :) Does that qualify as rare?

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds

I was speechless! I often get "Afghan?", "Greyhound-cross?", even had "Long haired Poodle?" (WTF!? :mad )

Weirdest I got was my b&w parti girl being called a dalmatian greyhound cross. Was said with great authority by some guy instructing his child. Also had them called Borzoi before, which at least is somewhere in the ballpark. Long haired poodle :)

To answer the original question, I saw a Tibetan Mastiff at the Hall Markets a couple of months ago.

Me too, I saw a catahoula today but it's not uncommon for me to see him as it was at my friends house who owns him :) He is a great dog.

At the park to today I saw a brown lab (yeah I know not uncommon) but she was the most stunning REALLY deep brown, definately the darkest brown lab I have ever seen.

The only one that springs to mind is when I saw a Pharoah Hound walking a few months ago. He was gorgeous.

I saw a group of Pharoah Hounds at the last show I went to, and oh my goodness, they are stunning. I had never really taken any notice of them before but they were in the ring next to us and were all together waiting for their turn and I thought they were absolutely beautiful.

Also, a swedish vallhund at the same place.

Really? I was there with my Swedish Vallhund briefly. Was it wearing a red vest-like harness?

ETA: Like this little vagabond? :)

Erikatthebeach.jpg

I get to see Leonbergers at training sometimes. :grimace: There is a Berner and a Chow that we occasionally see at the park. Otherwise, just a hoard of Labs, BCs and Staffies here.

Edited by corvus

I have met an Italian Spinone and a Bedlington Terrier in my area in the last year or so. It's rather funny what people come up with for my Lappie pup - so far she's been identified as a Chow, a "really big" Pomeranian, a Husky, a GSD cross, a Border Collie cross, and a Kelpie/Samoyed cross.

i haven't seen any rare dogs recently but I have an english toy terrier :grimace: and I have been asked if he's a puppy kelpie and doberman :) (maybe if he was 1 day old lol) or a chihuahua! Although obviously the most common statement is - oh look a min pin! I even said to someone, no he is an english toy terrier, and they were like are you sure? I think he's a min pin.... I was like ummm he's my dog I think I would know, I can show you papers if you like hahaha

I met an Anatolian shepherd X a central Asian shepherd at the park the other day! I know it's a cross breed but I was still pretty shocked to see it.. it was a really nice dog too absolutely HUGE and kind of bear-ish in appearance lol.

I work in a supermarket and there's a lady I chat too sometimes about her dogs and she has a dog that has a really strange name and is apparently one of 8 in all of Australia from memory! I remember her describing it as looking a bit like a small basset hound and it has a ton of food allergies.. does anyone know what sort of dog this is by any chance?