Opinion Piece In Sydney Morning Herald - Puppy Farms

Curlybert

Let us not forget the horses, I would hate to guess how many of those have been sent to the doggers by the RSPCA, also the ones that die in their paddocks because they claim there are insufficient inspectors to investigate, and yet yes they can rock up at dog shows ready to pounce at the sight of a docked tail, or raid a breeder on the suspicion of same.

The animals taken into care that don't make it out, the ones that are discarded after they have served their purpose as cash cows.

I don't think anyone will ever forget Clifford.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two comments to make. Firstly I simply don't understand how the conditions these animals are kept in isn't illegal. If an abbatoir or a kennel was keeping animals in filth they would be breaching some kind of by laws and be breached for it. So while puppy farming may be legal the conditions they are keeping animals in must also come under some kind of regulation? Really can't work that one out.

And when we talk puppy farming we refer to how the bitches and pups are kept but what about the male dogs? I assume they would also be forced to breed regularly and probably are in the same filthy accom as the other dogs? Or maybe they extract their sperm and inseminate the bitches? Either way when it is done so frequently I doubt they are worried about the dogs health or safety? The males would have to be even more disposable than the bitches and pups wouldn't they? You just never much about their suffering.

I visited a quite notorious puppy farm last year. I had to rescue two dogs from there - otherwise, I wouldn't have set foot in the place. I faked and lied my ASS off to get a tour of the hell hole. I saw more than I wanted to :laugh:

The male dogs are kept in the same abhorrent conditions. There were 5, 6 or 7 dogs to a pen, a couple of males and the rest females. All different breeds, separated only by size. So they have NO clue which dog fathers what bitches litter. I suppose they take an educated guess when they're born. The guy "looking after" the place (and all he was really looking after was his beer) said his own dog (a cavalier X) was pregnant. I asked what the father was and he said "oh...I dunno". Well, I sure as hell hope it wasn't one of the deformed labs I saw there. Or a Goldie. Or a boxer. Or anything that much larger.

All the outside pen dogs had a three sided, tin shanty for shelter. No bedding. The dogs "inside" were in open sided iron sheds. This place reaches temperatures of 45+ in high summer! They had some food. No water. Pens were FILLED with waste. But the most heart breaking thing was the dogs all clamouring for attention, desperate to get a pat. I had tears in my eyes as I tried to pat EVERY SINGLE DOG. I cried the whole 2+ hour trip home.

I used to think perhaps the farms flew just under the radar to keep away from the notice of the RSPCA. However, I now have a more cynical view. After what I saw there, that was NOT under the radar. I think they're getting paid.

The suffering of dogs in puppy farms is miniscule to the suffering caused by the RSPCA to companion animals and their owners Australia wide. Killing dogs primarily on looks (animal abuse in my mind). We need independant verification on all they claim as mostly it is media spin for donations. In my opinion they shpold be like Mothers Against Drink Driving they should simply be a lobby group and enforcement should be left to the police who don't have a conflict of interest, perceived or real.

Regardless of your beef with the RSPCA on other issues, surely they deserve some credit for trying to highlight the cruelty and abuse inherent in puppy farms across the country.

If the R$PCA were serious about doing something, then they would instead of sitting on their bums and crying in the Media as the always do. :laugh: Why give them credit they don't deserve and never will. :eek: What about all the healthy dogs the R$PCA kill every year, they don't give a stuff about them do they. :thumbsup::laugh:

The R$PCA spend alot of money on advertising themselves as this wonderful loving, caring society so tell that to the people and animals who have suffered at their hands. :) Remember Clifford the injured Pitt bull, who's only crime was being a pitt bull and falling into the hands of the R$PCA. :D ;) :o

[Oh so you are counting now...

Are you counting the battery hens the RSPCA did a lucrative deal over

or the 'too hard' basket the RSPCA gives a wide berth to while they go after soft targets?

or the animals that suffer while the rspca funnels funds into addressing the heinous accounts of debarking and tail docking.

c'mon curly bertie -

hey maybe you can give us some figures or even an efficiency ratio of how many animals the RSPCA save per dollar donation?

maybe contact Mildura council and find out how well the rspca spent funds there, get a list of all their achievements ...

knock us all over with a swanky rspca feather.

No, none of those things Lillipilli, I am merely seeking a response to Chris Widdler's preposterous claim. So please take a chill pill while we all await Ms/Mr Widdler's somewhat delayed response.

I now have a more cynical view. After what I saw there, that was NOT under the radar. I think they're getting paid.

Yes, there is always the risk of corruption when a charity that loves donations (and what charity doesn't love donations) is the policeman.

Souff

Not wanting to appear stupid, but who/what is Clifford? I am new to DOL and although have never really been a fan of the RSPCA I am still learning about the depths to which they have sunk.

This was one of the lowest acts the R$PCA have done, poor Clifford a Pitbull never had a chance. Poor Clifford was thrown from a car in Sydney in 2004, emaciated and injured he was taken to the R$PCA the society that claims to care for all creatures great and small.

The R$PCA said please donate as much as you can to help poor Clifford and raised about $3500, then announced this poor dog had suddenly become aggressive or some BS to that effect and PTS poor Clifford and kept the money. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Why was poor Clifford PTS ? Because the R$PCA does not rehome Pitbulls that's why. :rofl::) Shame, Shame, Shame R$PCA.

I really wonder about the RSPCA and just how serious they are about shutting puppy farmers down. They appear to do nothing until the dogs are in desperate need , when it should be all about "prevention of cruelty"

They have the ability to walk into average Joe's home and issue a notice, if they feel that a dogs needs a not being met, so how come they allow puppy farm dogs to stand in their own filth, day in day out , amongst other things ?

Hmmm, good point. Is not the 'P' in RSPCA 'prevention? By definition, it should be about enforcement not about waiting until the cruelty happens. Proactive not reactive, that sort of thing. I suppose if anyone pointed this out to them they'd blather about resources while they quietly pocket squillions in donations.

It's 'cupcake day' on the 16th. Methinks anyone who asks me as a doggy person to contribute will get a wee bit of a lecture.

[ They kill and abuse far more animals than the animal abusers they claim to oppose!!! And that's a fact Jack!

What a ridiculous thing to say. Show us yer facts, Max!

Seizing and killing harmless family pets by the thousands because of their looks is a good place to start!!!!

That's three cases and no doubt very, very distressing for the owners involved. But the sum of those cases does not address Chris Widdlers's preposterous claim that the RSPCA has killed and abused "far more animals than the animal abusers they claim to oppose".

That's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the RSPCA being incompetent

They are case studies of what the organisation is about. Lining their own pockets in view at the expense of animals.

Not wanting to appear stupid, but who/what is Clifford? I am new to DOL and although have never really been a fan of the RSPCA I am still learning about the depths to which they have sunk.

This was one of the lowest acts the R$PCA have done, poor Clifford a Pitbull never had a chance. Poor Clifford was thrown from a car in Sydney in 2004, emaciated and injured he was taken to the R$PCA the society that claims to care for all creatures great and small.

The R$PCA said please donate as much as you can to help poor Clifford and raised about $3500, then announced this poor dog had suddenly become aggressive or some BS to that effect and PTS poor Clifford and kept the money. :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :cheer:

Why was poor Clifford PTS ? Because the R$PCA does not rehome Pitbulls that's why. :laugh::laugh: Shame, Shame, Shame R$PCA.

thanks for explaining Cliiford to me. What a sad story. :D It's amazing how money can change things. I'm sure when the idea of the RSPCA was first thought of it's intentions were good but as we know, money corrupts.

The R$PCA said please donate as much as you can to help poor Clifford and raised about $3500, then announced this poor dog had suddenly become aggressive or some BS to that effect and PTS poor Clifford and kept the money. :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :cheer:

Why was poor Clifford PTS ? Because the R$PCA does not rehome Pitbulls that's why. :laugh::laugh: Shame, Shame, Shame R$PCA.

thanks for explaining Cliiford to me. What a sad story. :D It's amazing how money can change things. I'm sure when the idea of the RSPCA was first thought of it's intentions were good but as we know, money corrupts.

Actually , historically the RSPCA was formed to get animals off the street. The belief was that dead was less suffering than wandering the streets savaging for food.

This fitted in with the pollies of the day who also wanted stray dogs off the street so they were backed heavily in that regard.

Rehoming to people other than their owners them is a relatively recent development, so too is private rescue.

Edited by Steve

Actually , historically the RSPCA was formed to get animals off the street. The belief was that dead was less suffering than wandering the streets savaging for food.

This fitted in with the pollies of the day who also wanted stray dogs off the street so they were backed heavily in that regard.

Rehoming to people other than their owners them is a relatively recent development, so too is private rescue.

Actually when the R$PCA was formed it was more about horses and mules being mistreated and overburdened and the same people involved also fought to end slavery. It waspart of the enlightenment. Killing animals to save them is a new concept which seems to have evolved as the use of horse and carts went by the way. Goebbels would be proud at the debasement of the language to mean the opposite of what it says. Homeless dogs do not necessarily suffer as many societies show in fact dogs with homes seem to suffer more especially at the hands of their saviours!!!

I am happy to see anyone doing anything that combats or calls public attention to puppy farms. Whether or not I agree with their other policies or not.

Dogs killed by the truckload obviously don't faze you. As long as they're not yours of course?

I am happy to see anyone doing anything that combats or calls public attention to puppy farms. Whether or not I agree with their other policies or not.

Dogs killed by the truckload obviously don't faze you. As long as they're not yours of course?

Please see above.

Still prone to exaggeration with nothing to back it up, Chriswiddler. And this time you're offensive as well.

...Is not the 'P' in RSPCA 'prevention? By definition, it should be about enforcement not about waiting until the cruelty happens. Proactive not reactive, that sort of thing.

You can't have prevention and proactivity without starting somewhere.

Going back to the start of this thread, publicity and increasing public knowledge about puppy farming issues is an attempt at prevention, at solution. Regardless of other issues people have or don't have with RSPCA, don't we agree that the average Joe who goes looking for their next puppy online and is charmed by the hyped up image of the latest "oodle" needs and deserves to know the other side of the story?

Some people on here would be stunned to know just how ignorant many citizens are to the concept and practice of puppy farming. Many on DOL live and breathe dogs and can't imagine not knowing these things. But surprisingly enough they are actually not public knowledge.

Most people know about battery farms but many are still willing to buy cage eggs, so how are we even going to start shutting down puppy farms without even having a base level of common knowledge?

People need to know before the situation can be resolved. Media attention gets messages across.

...Is not the 'P' in RSPCA 'prevention? By definition, it should be about enforcement not about waiting until the cruelty happens. Proactive not reactive, that sort of thing.

You can't have prevention and proactivity without starting somewhere.

Going back to the start of this thread, publicity and increasing public knowledge about puppy farming issues is an attempt at prevention, at solution. Regardless of other issues people have or don't have with RSPCA, don't we agree that the average Joe who goes looking for their next puppy online and is charmed by the hyped up image of the latest "oodle" needs and deserves to know the other side of the story?

Some people on here would be stunned to know just how ignorant many citizens are to the concept and practice of puppy farming. Many on DOL live and breathe dogs and can't imagine not knowing these things. But surprisingly enough they are actually not public knowledge.

Most people know about battery farms but many are still willing to buy cage eggs, so how are we even going to start shutting down puppy farms without even having a base level of common knowledge?

People need to know before the situation can be resolved. Media attention gets messages across.

Maybe the rally being held in Melbourne will bring awareness to the general public, having Derryn Hinch as a speaker I think should bring plenty of media attention. http://www.oscarslaw.org/

Puppy Farm Awareness Day Rally

Sunday September 19th - 12pm

Parliament House, Melbourne.

Guest Speakers include

Derryn Hinch

Moira Rayner