Mounting Photos On Cardboard

MTD

What is the best glue ? or the best way to mount photos on board for a display .

It would be good if you could remove the photos. I remember my dad using a glue that you just rubbed off but that was many many years ago

What is the best glue ? or the best way to mount photos on board for a display .

It would be good if you could remove the photos. I remember my dad using a glue that you just rubbed off but that was many many years ago

Bluetac or double sided tape

You can buy an actual photo glue , or little 'dots' ask at a newsagents or office supply place :thumbsup:

When you stick teh photo on though, make sure there are no uneven spots- like if it's higher where the glue is, then saggy where there is no glue :rofl:

I always apply the glue then place photo/board face down onto a clean smooth paper surface ..and roll something over the back ... rolling pin, or piece of dowel....

:thumbsup:

CL d/s tape would be ok but would like something that isn't permanent , blue tac would be too bulky

persephone I saw some dots today , that were removeable but wasn't sure wether the photo would lay flat against the card .

May try and get some special photo glue and do what you suggest , even if they have to stay permanently on the card .

Depends if it is for yourself or "somebody else". If for sale or a gift, best to have the whole job done at a pro-lab to save later problems.

If for yourself, it depends how many you are doing, or how often.

If you need it reliable but removable, that's contradictory.

Because it's then likely to do it's own removal while on display which would be embarrassing.

We put display shots onto artist boards, the painting canvases that Gillybob was asking about. From $8-12 upwards each, depends on size.

And fix them on with an acid-free craft spray adhesive. Spray out of doors, it mists onto everything close by. But these are permanent and will stay good to use for years.

The best repositionable glue comes in narrow double-sided tape rolls, look for it in scrapbooking stores.

If you have a lot of shots to mount, you can get a "gun", ADT or the like, to put the reel of sticky-tape in, makes dispensing lines of it easy. Just be sure it is repositionable tape (which is twice the price of the permanent adhesive tape reels - $20 against $10).

Another way that's not cheap, but quick and reliable, is to use a Xyron sticker machine (hand operated, not electric) with repositionable adhesive rolls.

The 9 inch wide machines are between $80-$130 and the adhesive cartridges (about 3 metres long. so they do lots) are around $20-30 depending if repositionable or permanent adhesive).

Glue-dots I'm not keen for upright display: they are good for flat work, scrapbooks and so on, but don't hold well for hanging.

:rofl: heaps for that .

ETA just had a look at lincraft web site ( :o didn't even think of scrapbooking stuff ) and they have a photo mounting tape , permanent but I can see what Possum Corner means by it "undoing" itself so maybe it is the way to go

It is for myself so doesn't really matter if I stuff it :D

Edited by MTD

:laugh: heaps for that .

ETA just had a look at lincraft web site ( ;) didn't even think of scrapbooking stuff ) and they have a photo mounting tape , permanent but I can see what Possum Corner means by it "undoing" itself so maybe it is the way to go

It is for myself so doesn't really matter if I stuff it :laugh:

Thats probably the best way to go. I've mounted lots of my darkroom photos this way and the tape can be peeled off without leaving much residue. Just tape the back of the photo with a T hinge to the board, that way you can lift the photo off the board to check for mould or silverfish underneath the image.