Banshee ... Again

Banshee, my 18 month old Chinese Crested 'foster' girl, just finished a 2 week course of antibiotics for stump pyometra a few days ago... that story here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4708752 . (Stump pyometra is an infection of the 'stump' that's left after the ovaries and uterus are cut and removed during desexing. Apparently it's quite rare for this to happen ... so of course Banshee gets it :confused: )

Two days ago she started licking her lady parts again and was getting worse by last night. So, off to the vet again this morning.

There's not the same discharge as before but the vulva is a bit inflamed inside. The vet's put her on another 2 week course of antibiotics.

On a good note, Banshee did really well at the vet. She peed when the vet patted her but didn't scream or bite. She started to scream when the vet put the stethiscope on her, so I held the round bit of the stethiscope and the vet directed me where to put it on Banshee while she listened with the other end in her ears :mad . We had to work together with a few things like the thermometer and vulva inspection so Banshee thought it was me back there :laugh: ;) . But I was very proud of her .. BIG improvement :confused:

From what I've read about this infection, if the antibiotics don't work, then surgery is needed! Has anyone else had a dog with stump pyometra? Or I could use some other vet input, is a second lot of antibiotics likely to work? Would the fact that she has pancreatitis reduce her healing response? What else should I be doing?

I can't offer any medical-type advice but upping her probiotic intake would be a good idea - Inner Health Plus or something similar? :confused: Not just yoghurt but a real BANG! probiotic!

Also perhaps seeking advice from a Naturopath/Homeopath?

I haven't had a dog with stump pyo but I have heard that it can be a difficult infection to be rid of......so ensuring there are a few extra immunity-type remedies are going on couldn't hurt too much at this stage. :laugh:

You've gone through a lot with this girl and good on you for trying your hardest and doing an excellent job! :confused:

I can't offer any medical-type advice but upping her probiotic intake would be a good idea - Inner Health Plus or something similar? :confused: Not just yoghurt but a real BANG! probiotic!

Also perhaps seeking advice from a Naturopath/Homeopath?

I haven't had a dog with stump pyo but I have heard that it can be a difficult infection to be rid of......so ensuring there are a few extra immunity-type remedies are going on couldn't hurt too much at this stage. :laugh:

You've gone through a lot with this girl and good on you for trying your hardest and doing an excellent job! :confused:

This condition usually requires surgery to resect the stump down to cervix to prevent recurrance.

Thank you t-time :confused:.

I still have some probiotic capsules that I used when she was having tummy troubles, before the pancreatitis diagnosis. Excellent idea :confused: . I'll start her on them tonight. I've got to get her system as healthy as possible!

I'd spoken to a CAM Practictioner (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) earlier this week in regards to using the Bach Remedies for some of Banshee's behaviours, I'll ask her about some of her naturopathic supplements when she delivers the Bach Remedies next week.

Thanks for your suggestions :laugh:

This condition usually requires surgery to resect the stump down to cervix to prevent recurrance.

I hope it doesn't come to that vetrg, but from what I've read, if the antibiotics don't work again this time then that's the next step :confused:

In the meantime I'll try to do everything I can to get her immunity as high as possible :confused:

My oldest girl had surgery for stump pyometra less than 12 months ago. Her problems started around 4.5 years old and it has taken lots of antibiotics, expensive tests, incontinance medication etc before the stupid vets finally figured out what was wrong with her. She had the surgery (a week after cruciate surgery) and hasn't had a problem since. I have been testing her urine (at work) monthly since and no sign of infection.

If this lot of antibiotics don't work do the surgery, if I had only known earlier what was wrong I wouldn't have let my girl go through so much before deciding on surgery.

Thanks NicoleL :laugh: . Glad to hear that your girl was diagnosed and is now okay.

Can you tell me how much the surgery was? (PM me if you like), I think I'm going to have to start saving up big time. Something's still not quite right with Banshee, she's not licking as much, but she's a bit subdued and sometimes a bit shakey :)

I hope it doesn't come to that vetrg, but from what I've read, if the antibiotics don't work again this time then that's the next step :laugh:

In the meantime I'll try to do everything I can to get her immunity as high as possible :)

Yes, a friend of mine's bitch had this and did require surgery to resolve the problem.

Thanks poodlefan :hug: . At this stage it seems surgery is a possiblility *sigh*. Will ring the vet shortly and get some more info

Thanks for the links Boronia :(

Thanks CrazyCresties ;). Glad to hear that your two are out of quarantine and snuggled up at home with you now :provoke:

Here's some pics of the crew for you :) ...

Jothecrew.jpg

peppersargemaddie.jpg

Bansheeinherboots.jpg

xxx

Thanks poodlefan :mad . At this stage it seems surgery is a possiblility *sigh*. Will ring the vet shortly and get some more info

Given that this condition is caused by incomplete removal of the uterus, see if you can negotiate a good deal for what is effectively a correction for a botched job.

Interestingly, my friend's bitch (now an old girl) has always had a very attractive scent to male dogs..

awww thanks YG, lovely pics of a gorgeous group of cresties :D I wish my two would snuggle together, but they are so precious about their personal space :):mad

How's Banshee doing today?

Cheers CC :( . You can see why I love these gorgeous little guys.

Banshee's still a bit subdued and hunching quite a lot, sometimes she hunches with her back legs bent as well. But then 5 minutes later she's jumping on me for cuddles :rofl: , so I just don't know if she's in discomfort, cold, or insecure. She's also on Previcox pain relief while she's on the Clavulox anitbiotics.

I rang the vet yesterday and she said just keep her on the medications and we'll see what happens after that.

Thanks poodlefan :) . At this stage it seems surgery is a possiblility *sigh*. Will ring the vet shortly and get some more info

Given that this condition is caused by incomplete removal of the uterus, see if you can negotiate a good deal for what is effectively a correction for a botched job.

Interestingly, my friend's bitch (now an old girl) has always had a very attractive scent to male dogs..

Hi Poodlefan :) . The vet I'm seeing now isn't the one who did the desexing. I guess if it comes down to Banshee having to have an operation and it's definitely stump pyo, I think it might be worth talking to the other vet. My current vet thinks the hormone injection (to supposedly stop Banshee's season - which didn't work) that the first vet gave her may have contributed to it because of the extra hormones. It probably caused the phantom pregnancy as well.