Dap Diffuser

pomchi

hey guys

i have been looking into getting a DAP diffuser for my puppy, mostly because she suffers from seperation anxiety when we are not home

at the moment when we go out we leave her in her playpen with plenty of toys and her kong. radio on for comfort yet everytime we come home i can hear her barking, I am worried she does this the entire time we are gone :thumbsup:.

We also take ker for a walk or have a good play session with her before we leave so she is a lil tired out.

So i just wanted to hear from anyone on their successes/ failures with using a dap diffuser.

thanks

Edited by pomchi

Are you sure she has separation anxiety?

Do you know for sure she barks all day? Maybe ask your neighbours to see if she has been barking all day?

My 2 barks like crazy fools when they hear my car pull into the driveway.. but soon quiets down when I reach the front door. I even see my little girl jump and do a 360 in the air to let me know she's excited I'm home but they settle down pretty quickly when I walk through the front door.

SA is pretty serious stuff. We had a dog that had that, and it was terrible. He destroyed the house, we came home and he was covered in drool from head to toe if we were out of the house more than a hour. He put a hole in the metal garage door to try to escape to be with us...

Edited by CW EW

Are you sure she has separation anxiety?

Do you know for sure she barks all day? Maybe ask your neighbours to see if she has been barking all day?

My 2 barks like crazy fools when they hear my car pull into the driveway.. but soon quiets down when I reach the front door. I even see my little girl jump and do a 360 in the air to let me know she's excited I'm home but they settle down pretty quickly when I walk through the front door.

SA is pretty serious stuff. We had a dog that had that, and it was terrible. He destroyed the house, we came home and he was covered in drool from head to toe if we were out of the house more than a hour. He put a hole in the metal garage door to try to escape to be with us...

Wow she hasnt tried to rip down a door yet, although weighing 1.6kg that might be a lil difficult :bottom:

yeah the neighbours say they hear her bark, and when i come home she is exhausted, her bed is flipped over and her water is spilt, I try to tire her out before I leave so that she will sleep but obviously she stays awake till we come home :thumbsup:

If that's the case.. I think you will need to talk to a professional.

Although, I never really heard of a puppy who has separation anxiety before.

How do you leave the house? And how do you enter the house?

If that's the case.. I think you will need to talk to a professional.

Although, I never really heard of a puppy who has separation anxiety before.

How do you leave the house? And how do you enter the house?

we dont say anything when we leave, just put her in her playpen with a kong and toys, and when we come home we ignore her till she calms down and then let her out.

she does like to be around people all the time, she follows us around the house, and if she wanders off she is constantly checking that we are still there.

Is that one of those barking collars?

My Mum uses one for Aurora... she has OCD and barks like a crazy thing (in addition to a few other things)... all day, every day, non stop. Her barking stresses her out, so she barks more. :D Even meds don't help, so it left little else. She is a different dog with the new collar on. It is funny when she forgets she is wearing it though, as she goes to bark, then remembers... and stops mid bark! :)

If you think it is separation anxiety though, I would try and work on that and just use this as a method for the short term to curb the barking. She will take her stress out through some other means if she doesn't bark, so you will then have another issue to combat.... I would seriously consider seeing a behaviorist.... From someone who should have had their dog see one a long time ago, save yourself the stress and nip it in the bud now.

She may well be playing and barking :rofl: Pups will get bored, and enjoy playing/running/barking!!

get a water container which you can clip onto the wall of her pen..put a couple of cardboard boxes in there for her to jump on/chew..give her a couple of toys each day.. rotate them ... make sure one toy is something which can roll, and/or makes a noise when moved- so it grabs her attention ...

Perhaps do an obedience session with her of a morning- working hard ,using her brain will tire her more than playing :worship:

A couple of suggestions...

1) Don't leave the radio on if this is the only time it is on, because dogs are smart, they realise the turning on of the radio signifies you leaving.

2) Don't leave heaps of toys out, give the pup 2 or 3 and rotate them everyday otherwise they loose their value.

Start implementing NILIF.

Dap could help, I personaly found the units heat up alot and I got worried about them.

They are very expensive, especially if it doesn't work (it doesn't work on all dogs).

SAS- i have burnt my hand on one- i went to grab it and it was really really hot :)

If you do go for one, make sure you put it somewhere safe where it can't cause anything to ignite.

Barking in itself if not necessarily indicative of separation anxiety. Many dogs will have a few barks just after their onwers leaves, but will settle down. If your dog is overly destructive whilst you are away or barks continously, then that may be a sign of separation anxiety, in which case it would be best to seek professional help.

Perhaps getting a trainer to come to your house for one session could also relaly help you with this issue (barking while away) as well and they always have some useful puppy tips anyway.

We have and use a Dap Diffuser but it is not for separation anxiety.

Since day 1 with Jane, she has not had an 'off' switch and her behaviour at night was quite manic...never stopped wanting to play, run, play ect. Anyway we got a Dap and the first day we had it was the first time we saw Jane fall asleep in the lounge room! We thought it was a bloody miracle!

Even now, many months later, we still use it. We have found that she still needs it to settle. On the odd occasion where her behaviour has regressed we have also realised the dap is empty. I would imagine that she will eventually not need it but at the moment I call it my 'sanity saver'!

We have and use a Dap Diffuser but it is not for separation anxiety.

Since day 1 with Jane, she has not had an 'off' switch and her behaviour at night was quite manic...never stopped wanting to play, run, play ect. Anyway we got a Dap and the first day we had it was the first time we saw Jane fall asleep in the lounge room! We thought it was a bloody miracle!

Even now, many months later, we still use it. We have found that she still needs it to settle. On the odd occasion where her behaviour has regressed we have also realised the dap is empty. I would imagine that she will eventually not need it but at the moment I call it my 'sanity saver'!

It might be worth a try, if it helps to calm her it might work when we are not there with her

I've used a DAP spray when I took the dogs with me to Victoria, just sprayed it on their beds & left it to dry for 10 mins, Izzi went into her crate all the time & seemed quite happy. Although training them to be on their own is a better idea a DAP, if it works, might help in the short term.