Pets Abandoned As Rental Market Heats Up

Elfin

Finding affordable accomodation with dogs can be a nightmare. I have been lucky over the last ten years or more. One of my houses I stayed for almost eight years, the next three years and my current accomodation I have been here almost two years. I have a wonderful landlord now who allows pets both inside and out. As they stated if I keep my dogs inside I cannot be a hypocrite and tell the tenants to keep theirs outside. I rent a two bedroom unit on a country property that I am so blessed to have. It has it's own courtyard french doors leading out from the living areas, two bedrooms and one bath. I pay a minimal amount for it and the rent has not gone up once since I rented it. I plan on staying here for a very long time. I have three dogs currently and they have one. I have had nightmare property managers in the past with real estate agents. I have learn't to get everything in writing with them, keep photographic proof of everything as some of them are particularly good liars as I found out the hard way.

I love where I live and will stay here now until my department of housing unit comes up and that will take some time and then I never plan on moving again. My current landlord has been amazing when they go away I look after their animals and when I go away very rarely they will take care of mine. But generally if I go away my dogs come with me. This situation has been perfect no stress and as my landlord lives next door they see the property regularly as we share a common entry and exit point including the drive and carparks. It works for us and I hope to be here for a few more years yet. I hope that I never have to face the rental market again as most rents are way out of my league now especially in my chosen town and area.

Edited to add when I moved here I had two small dogs and requested a third dog and was granted a yes. This is my limit here not because my landlord says so it is the area we live in is not big enough for a forth dog. I also know within myself that three is more than plenty.

Edited by PRADA68

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not back pedalling I'm clarifying.

When people invest I assumed you use the money you have or minimise how much money is outgoing on your investment. I simply dont see a lot of logic taking out large morgage on an investment property that you then have to add a lot into. If you add up the bank interest and fees how much will your investment property really end up costing you? Cosmolo your property puts you out of pocket about $5000 a year - take that over say a 20 year loan thats $100,000 assuming your out of pocket stays similar and it is tenanted the entire time. Put $5k every year into a 12 month term deposit account you're looking at well over $200,000 in 20 years at about 6% interest. Now imagine if you put your morgage payments into something like that every year - would it be more then the projected value of your investment property? I dont know it just seems like a bit of a luxury to me when there are other opportunities that dont need repairs, cant be trashed or burned down and dont cost you other things like rates, insurance, agent fees etc.

didnt mean to insult anyone I just dont see why the complaining when there are other options. Houses at todays prices are a luxury for the owner occupier let alone investment.

Edited by Nekhbet

Nekbhet - the advantage is that you can negative gear and reduce your tax liaiblity and get capital gains. With other investments you just get the capital gains.

Some studies recetnly show that, overall, property nets a return of ~6% (I think!) and that includes capital gains. This isn't a great return - in fact you can get better rates with cash at the moment.

didnt mean to insult anyone I just dont see why the complaining when there are other options. Houses at todays prices are a luxury for the owner occupier let alone investment.

It's the renters who are complaining. The investors dont care for your illogical carryon nor do they think it's your business. Buy your own house rather than expect someone else to provide one for you and you wont have to whinge. Easy peasy

Finding a rental with a dog in Sydney is fricken exhausting but i found one with Charlie just have to pay more rent that I originally planned. I had to sign a 6 months lease (as probation living with Charlie and now Emmy) and I just got a letter the other day saying that they are going to up the rent by $10 but they are happy for my to be a long leaser.

The boyfriend and I are planning to buy a house at the end of the year or early next year.

I have 2 places now.

One is an apartment and the family has now a got a kitten (i had to think long and hard for the cat because bad experience with ex tenants with cats). The other property the tenants have 2 dogs.. they are great dogs (I went to meet the tenants and their dogs personally when they asked they were allowed 2 dogs... i spend more time playing with the dogs then talking to them).

I don't see a difference between worrying about interest rates (mortgage) and worrying about rent increases???

I certainly do not think everyone should own a house, and dont believe investors are materialistic either.

I see a lot of older people in big trouble, the ones who have to pay rents on a pension and with the basic neccessities rising in cost all the time it is very tough for them. All I can do is listen, I'd love to be able to help. It's very upsetting.

A very very high percentage of them had many opportunities to be in a better position at this time in their life, but didn't take them. I find it sad. :D

Edited by Monah

If it were not for investors and investment properties I would not have had home for many many years so I say thanks to those that provide this much needed service for those like me who will probably NEVER own their own home. Without you guys we would all be stuffed and so would the wait for public housing it is a long stretched out wait now imagine it without private rentals.

Nekbhet - the advantage is that you can negative gear and reduce your tax liaiblity and get capital gains. With other investments you just get the capital gains.

Some studies recetnly show that, overall, property nets a return of ~6% (I think!) and that includes capital gains. This isn't a great return - in fact you can get better rates with cash at the moment.

Thank you megan nice of you to explain the method in the supposed madness of investments. My relatives are all european so really investment houses were more bought for when the kids moved out and married, not to be for rentals. I think its more my generation that is starting to do the investment property for tax purposes and rental thingy :love: As for super it's always been a squirrel away the cash for investment type idea as a safer option.

It's the renters who are complaining. The investors dont care for your illogical carryon nor do they think it's your business. Buy your own house rather than expect someone else to provide one for you and you wont have to whinge. Easy peasy

OK well someone bothered to explain why its a better option. I dont expect anything. I pay to lease my house it hence this is a business transaction with responsibilities on both sides. Expectation means I rock up on a doorstep and want it for free - and I've never done that. I keep the place well kept and even pay for minor repairs out of my own pocket its only fair when you rent I figuire. Where did I complain about rent prices? I complained about disporportionately high house prices and people going along with them. I'm a student and stuck in a shitty job while I try and patch my life and sanity back together ... so when I can comfortably afford my own home I will. By why stop you when you're on a rant Raz, let it out diddums. Can't take that type of lip from the poorer classes expected to be supported by fine upstanding citizens like yourself now can we.

Edited by Nekhbet

Paddyforever whereabouts are you currently living?

Our rental is in Woori Yallock in the Yarra Valley, it will probably be available again at the start of January, although I can't make any guarantees it is entirely up to the current tennants who are on a short term lease because they are trying to find their own dream house :D

If you are still looking in November/December and the location suits pm me then :)

Hi, again,

We are in Drouin, we were out at Drouin West at the time of the fires, which came over from the Bunyip Ridge/Labertouche fires. My husband is a truck driver in Melbourne, and we are quite willing to move for the right property. We just want a property where we are able to keep our children, dogs, and have our 1/2 litters a year. I show and do competitive obedience, and I have been a rep for The Responsible Pet Ed Program Of Vic, and plan to return when my baby is a little older. Our dogs are dearly loved family members first and foremost, but I also do a lot with them. Finding a place that will allow them, when you are up against 10 other applicants, has been so hard. I know in person that I come across well, but when you are submitting your application to an agency, who places a heap of them in front of a landlord who hasn't even met you, and your application is the one with several dogs as well as four children...! We do know Woori-Yallock well, my lovely old dog who I just lost came from there 16 years ago. I would be very grateful if you would keep us in mind. Pls feel free to contact me through a personal message or as a friend. :love:

By why stop you when you're on a rant Raz, let it out diddums. Can't take that type of lip from the poorer classes expected to be supported by fine upstanding citizens like yourself now can we.

Oh for goodness sake get over yourself. Where on earth did I ever call you 'poorer class'. You've crapped on about property investments being a luxury item while happily living in one. Irrational. As I've said before - any wonder investors are diversifying their investments rather than putting up with tenants.

You've crapped on about property investments being a luxury item while happily living in one

when something puts you out of pocket and is costing you more money then you are making on it then it is a luxury. If at the end of a long term period it does pay of more then you have put into it then it is a worthwhile investment but the way the economy goes and the length of morgages these days it may not. I know the owner of my house bought it for a very low price and along with his other properties they are doing well for him. He's also going to knock down this house and build units which will increase the properties value at least 5-6 times what he paid for it.

Still laughing :laugh: at Raz's comment about 'if you don't like renting just go and buy a house! VERY Marie Antionette!! Of course owning investment properties is a luxury-anything over and above our basic needs is, there is a quote somewhere, and I can't remember the exact wording, but the gist of it is that all we NEED is food and shelter, anything else is a WANT. In some countries even food and shelter is a luxury, we are fortunate enough to live in a society where most of us at least have food and shelter, but there are many Australians for whom making ends meet is a struggle-and I'm not talking about no-hopers but people who work hard-not everyone is able to be on a high income, SOMEONE has to do all the low paid crap jobs or the country would grind to a halt, and property prices are generally much higher in places where the jobs are, so how is someone on a low income going to be able to afford a mortgage or even to save up for a deposit, legal fees etc? Lets get real here-investment properties(or any investment for that matter) is all about accruing wealth-and there isn't anything wrong with that, it's the basis of our society, BUT don't try and pretend it's anything other than it is! And owning a rental investment property is not a Mother Theresa like act of charity-it's no different to Woolies selling us food!

I wish you all the best Paddy, how awful. If you were here you could have our place in a second!xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Monah,:thumbsup:

Just got home from 2 days in hospital, with my baby suffering 'bronchialitis', so have to admit it was wonderful having family support helping look after my other 3 children, 3 adult dogs and 10 6wk old Golden Retriever puppies! Qld would be just a little too far away, but thank you for the thought! :)

I worry I'm going to be back on the hunt for a new place to live when the lease is up on my current place. The RE have been nothing but a pain in the arse and I've only been here 3 months. I told the PM that Orbit was an inside dog when I viewed the property and was told that was fine, 'the owners were really cool about everything.'

I then had the landlord come and introduce herself to me on day as I was coming home, meeting me at my front door. She saw Orbit through the window and told me she never allowed an inside dog. Naturally I contacted the PM straight away and her response was that she didn't remember me mentioning the inside factor. Thankfully my lease doesn't specify he isn't allowed inside so I think I'm ok there.

The property is also for sale and the last 3 times they've tried to bring people through it's been a pain. The first time they gave me less than 12 hours notice, the second time they didn't bother to tell me it had been cancelled and the third time, just today, I received no warning and was asleep on the couch to wake up to an agent walking in my front door.

When I first viewed the place I asked about the lease period and was told 12months. So I applied and when I was accepted and went to sign the lease, was told it was now only 6 months, but it was just an initial period to see how things went and the next period would be 12-18months. But I don't believe a word of that now and think they're just doing 6 month leases so that if the property sells, the new owners don't have to wait as long to kick me out.

I love living here and IMO, have been an awesome tenant. I've done so much work around the place and really cleaned it up. Yet the dramas the agent are causing me, resulting in me needing to put my foot down, I worry is making me look like I'm difficult and they won't want to resign me.

It took me months to find this place and I have no idea what I'm going to do if I have to try find somewhere else, especially seeing my lease ends a couple of weeks before Christmas.

I own an investment property. It has a house on one half acre block and 5 other half acre blocks already sub divided and serviced with separate titles - I just had power and water connected to them so I guess thats 6 investment properties. I also own another 5 acre block as well as the 30 acre property we live on.

In my view thats a luxury alright - its not that long ago that I was struggling to find enough money to buy food let alone pay 3 mortgages 2 of which [or 7 which ever way you look at it ] are on properties I don't live on.

I don't have any super so thats how I have chosen to try to make that up but the fact is if I go broke it will be the investment properties which are sold off first. I know that if I sell them I'm better off a couple of thousand dollars a month that Im paying now and there's enough equity to pay the property off Im living in. I dont know how other people see that but for me an ex poverty stricken single Mum who had 6 kids to worry about feeding and no child support back then living in public housing its a luxury for me to hold properties I dont need to live in especially when I remember I bought my first home as a single Mum with $10 in the bank.

I guess its all about how you look at it. It feels like a luxury to me.

I fear I'm going to sound like a old fart or crazy reactionary but that has never stopped me in the past :confused:

When it comes to dogs, it's not just housing, it's relationships, work, a whole raft of things.

OH and I were each living in rented share houses when we met, both driving banged up second hand vehicles and no other assets. We were finally in a position to buy a house after being together about 6 or 7 years, in that time we both worked jobs we loathed. The house we bought was a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom ex-Govvie in an unfashionable part of Canberra. It needed a lot of work, which we did. Up until that point we were renting with cats and that in itself was a nightmare, there was no way we were going to try renting with a dog. That is the part I don't understand, we waited 5 years before getting that dog because we knew that renting was a crapshoot. I also think that looking forward to finally getting an Afghan was a motivator for my OH when it came to paying down debt and saving.

Luck did play a role in where we are now, the unfashionable part of Canberra we were in, was actually a lot closer to the city than a lot of McMansion suburbs and there were good capital gains while we were there. Now we have our dream country home - got a sizeable mortgage too, but a plan to pay it off.

The other thing I wonder at is women who put their financial future in someone else's hands. So many women I know were trapped or are trapped in relationships they would not otherwise be in if not for the dogs and/or a lack of income. I'm not talking about ill-health here, I'm talking about life choices that mean that if it all goes to shit, you're so vulnerable you can't leave. I hope my home and relationship won't ever go to shit, but if it does I would be able to walk with my dogs and still take care of them. Am I just overly cynical?