1st Place Prizes

A new car could work......or perhaps an all expenses paid holiday ...and even a house would be good :laugh:

Seriously though........nice sashes and trophies always work as does something that can be used at future trials such as folding chairs for example. I once won a very sturdy directors chair which I still use today and another time I won a flask along with a matching insulated mug. All these things are useful .....not like the several plates we have also won over the years .....they're all packed away and are never used or seen.

Plates and casserole dishes - not!! I have no idea why they keep insisting on giving those ghastly things away! Nothing says I worked really hard at training than a casserole dish?! :laugh: :p

I like the idea of things you can use at trials, like cooler bags, flasks, chairs, umbrellas, etc. I have never expected "prizes" for these things, so even just a trophy to remember it by is nice :mad

You have prizes :p

In WA we get a rosette or sash if we get first in agility in a split height trial (unless it is one of the numerous fundraising trials where we don't get anything unless someone donates it). Combined height trials you get a rosette to third and often a trophy for first. Obedience trials are usually rosettes to third and a trophy for first.

A nice rosette and $5 would do me :mad Means I can go choose something for my dog since the rosette means nothing to them :laugh:

In WA we get a rosette or sash if we get first in agility in a split height trial (unless it is one of the numerous fundraising trials where we don't get anything unless someone donates it). Combined height trials you get a rosette to third and often a trophy for first. Obedience trials are usually rosettes to third and a trophy for first.

A nice rosette and $5 would do me :mad Means I can go choose something for my dog since the rosette means nothing to them :laugh:

We rarely get prizes but it does happen. So far I've won a cooler bag (obviously a freebie as it has Advance written on it, but I don't care!) and a bag of Advance food. I think it's nice to get sponsors to donate things like that. Free for the club to give away, advertising for the product, and the entrant walks away with goodies :(

we have to give away prizes, its a rule unless you advertise the trial as a "ribbon trial" for fund-raising. For our combined height trials we give petrol vouchers, 20 for 1st, 25 for 2nd and 30 for 3rd, and for the seperate height trials we try to get good deals on things at rays outdoors etc. e.g. for the next trial I made club colour tug toys for 3rd, dog beds from kmart for 2nd and toys for 1st

oh and personally I prefer cash, but only if its over $10, otherwise dog toys are my fav prize as I feel like i'm rewarding the dog for doing all the hard work (for me just the place/title/run is the reward!) , and you can never have 2 many toys!

Yep! Those are the things I like too.

We rarely get prizes but it does happen. So far I've won a cooler bag (obviously a freebie as it has Advance written on it, but I don't care!) and a bag of Advance food. I think it's nice to get sponsors to donate things like that. Free for the club to give away, advertising for the product, and the entrant walks away with goodies :(

A new car could work......or perhaps an all expenses paid holiday ...and even a house would be good :laugh:

I want a pony! :p

More seriously though, I like getting ribbons or sashes & have always envied people that win the higher classes & get dog food. If you don't like the particular brand, you can always give it away to charity & feel virtuous. Petrol vouchers would be good too, I've never seen that done before but think it's a great idea. Or vouchers for pet stores or other dog related places, since then you can pick what you want.

Dog toys are no use to me since I have my own particular ones I like to use. Same with random junk - I've never seen anyone win a plate or a platter or umbrella or mug, but I don't know how thrilled I'd be to get one.

Perhaps wine? :mad

I'm wondering what people would like to receive as a first place prize for winning their class at a trial.

Just looking for suggestions as I have a trial coming up and need to organise some first place prizes for the winners...

Send me a message if you'd like some tug toys donated for prizes such as Headbangers and Fur Tug Toys from www.dmantugs.com.au

Edited by sas

I like the cash :laugh: (or gift cards for petrol or woolies etc)

I think some clubs go a bit overboard with cash though...I would prefer cheaper entries, since that is what I usually put my cash back onto.

At our last trial we won $290! Paid for entries, petrol with a bit left over.

I have also often thought that some kind of credit system with dogs nsw would be good. Prizes won could then be used for titles, membership or entries...

Maybe I'll ring & suggest it to them vbg

I like to win cash too. When it first became the popular thing to do I thought it was a bit of a cop out, as I do like to have something to remember special wins by, but now I love it. I always think of it in terms of covering my entry and if I'm lucky, petrol to get to the trial! I know a few people who keep the money and use it on something specific either for their dog or for themselves and will refer to that item as "Fido bought me that" :laugh:

I do like a ncie trophy now and then, but definitely not every trial! I also enjoyed the days when we were lucky enough to have dog food companies sponsor trials, so food was on offer, but that is very rare now. Otherwise just about anything dog related is good - beds, toys, pigs ears. Persoanlly I've won enough chairs/cooler bags/umbrellas to never want to win another :bolt:

Just understand you're never going to please everyone no matter what you do for prizes! But to anyone who complains, give them the task of getting the next lot :o

Edited by FHRP

Perhaps wine? :laugh:

Believe it or not some dog people are teetotal :bolt: as was explained to me by a cranky exhibitor when she saw that our BIS and RUBIS trophies were accompanied by bottles of champers. Faxon won a plastic woven mat once that we still use, but I agree with PF, go the cash and sash.

I didn't think you were allowed to give wine as prizes? We can't in agility because we have several junior hanlders and we'd be 'supplying alcohol to a minor' if they won!! :o