Puppy Pee Pads

mackenzie11

Full time as in no access to outdoors for toilet??

If you're talking in terms of regular toilet training, I found it easier to just teach the dog where i wanted him to go rather than pads, then outside.

yeah - there is access to outside but our winters here are bitterly cold -7 - 4, (i can wear a jacket but her jackets don't cover her feet & bottom and she freezes) and our summers extremly hot 39-40 degrees, so i feel it better to train her inside, she will be able to get out doors to go for walks and such on the rare days that are ok, but i feel that in times of extreem weather that she would not be able to go outside and figure it better to train her to have somewhere to go indoors,

even though she is only going out for a quick wee or poop she does not like it, the other morning we had a big frost and she touched the grass and took off running like she had had a big fright and refused to go back onto the lawn, it was then that i thought it best to train her inside

i am home all day and clean up wont be a problem, i just don't want to encourage her to use the pads if it will encourage her to go all over the house, i have set up a room in the house and am training her to go there as that is the only area that will have the pee pads.

If a puppy has not experienced frost/rain/heat- of course they will be somewhat apprehensive ! It is your job to TEACH her that freezing cold ground etc is normal and ok. ... on a cold morning- take her favourite treats out- play games, and ONLY praise her/pat her when she is sniffing... eating..playing ;) NO attention at all if she is being sooky .

You will find it all much simpler if you train her to toilet on command, too! That way- once she is a bit older.. YOU decide when she goes outside... you give the command- she toilets, then it's back indoors again ;)

Honestly- once trained to go toilet outside- it only takes them a few minutes to do what they have to .... :laugh: Trust me ! I don't really like standing out in the sleet either..so the dogs get their business done very smartly :)

on the rare days that are ok

I can understand you wanting to protect her- but she needs to experience all sorts of things- including weather changes , so she is comfortable and used to the big wide world :laugh:

Where we live, Winter often sees minus temps here, too ..and we have days of over 40 ..so I do know what extreme weather is :) ..and I also think that, providing a little dog is well coated, and active outdoors, the cold is not a problem. With heat- walks etc are done in the very early morning ..toilet breaks only need to be a few minutes...and a small pool and patch of shade can be a fun place for dogs and people in the hot Summer :)

there are proper doggie loos for indoors if you really must have a dog toileting inside ... several folks on here living in apartments etc have mentioned them :laugh:

Edited by persephone

I started toilet training my pups at about 4 weeks of age.. Outside of whelping box i had newspaper pee pads..they got the hang of pee/pooin on them till about 6 weeks of age they started to rip them lol So they started to go outside for wee/poo and now they are 12 weeks old.. there doing well!

If a puppy has not experienced frost/rain/heat- of course they will be somewhat apprehensive ! It is your job to TEACH her that freezing cold ground etc is normal and ok. ... on a cold morning- take her favourite treats out- play games, and ONLY praise her/pat her when she is sniffing... eating..playing ;) NO attention at all if she is being sooky .

You will find it all much simpler if you train her to toilet on command, too! That way- once she is a bit older.. YOU decide when she goes outside... you give the command- she toilets, then it's back indoors again ;)

Honestly- once trained to go toilet outside- it only takes them a few minutes to do what they have to .... :laugh: Trust me ! I don't really like standing out in the sleet either..so the dogs get their business done very smartly :)

on the rare days that are ok

I can understand you wanting to protect her- but she needs to experience all sorts of things- including weather changes , so she is comfortable and used to the big wide world :laugh:

Where we live, Winter often sees minus temps here, too ..and we have days of over 40 ..so I do know what extreme weather is :) ..and I also think that, providing a little dog is well coated, and active outdoors, the cold is not a problem. With heat- walks etc are done in the very early morning ..toilet breaks only need to be a few minutes...and a small pool and patch of shade can be a fun place for dogs and people in the hot Summer :)

there are proper doggie loos for indoors if you really must have a dog toileting inside ... several folks on here living in apartments etc have mentioned them :laugh:

thank you so much,

yeah - there is access to outside but our winters here are bitterly cold -7 - 4

:laugh:

I'm in Canberra! :laugh: It gets to be -10 here. Elbie was a winter puppy and we spent a lot of time shivering outside at night when he was doing his business. He learned to do it pretty quickly.

Also, at first he didn't like toileting in the rain and either wouldn't go at all or he went all over the place (deck, path etc) instead of in Poo Corner. He has learned how to toilet properly now.

It might take your puppy a while but you'll get there in the end! I notice a lot of dogs at dog school don't like dropping on cold, wet grass but they learn to do it. I'd never leave a puppy out in the cold but they're totally fine being out there for their toilet breaks :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

I have used the puppy pee pads. However mainly for when I was going out and over night. When no one was home or at night when we were in bed, she was in the laundry, so I set one up on the floor by the side door. She was very good at going on the mat from the first day she was home. She was holding most nights by about 10/11 weeks, (she came home at 8 weeks) but around 16 weeks started waking me up in the night to take her out (this I worked out, was more an excuse to play, not to toilet). Though there would often be a piddle on the pad when I came home from work, as obviously there was no one to take her out. By choice it would appear that she prefers to toilet outside.

When I am home (which is generally the better part of the day), she scratches on the back door now to be let out and has done this for a while. When I was first training, I used to take her outside (rain, hail or shine) every couple of hours or so (after eating, sleeping, drinking, chewing, playing, walking...) - and watch her like a hawk in between. That is not to say we haven't had the odd accident in the house, we have. But generally, she knows to go outside.

She hasn't actually used the pee pads for a while now, but when I leave for work I always leave one down for her just in case. I know the moment I lift it, she will need it. She also sleeps on our bed through the night and I think since she has been doing that, I have only had to take her outside once or twice.

I always have a couple on me though if I am taking her to someone's house or something like that (I have a nappy bag for the dog, complete with nappies, blankets, treats, toys and bottled water! :D ). I recently spend the weekend at my parent's place (where she had not been before) and they came in handy there for the first day or so, as there was no back door for her to scratch on! By the end of the weekend (when I was leaving :laugh: ) she had worked out where the toilet area was and was fine - trotted off herself!

In short, they came in handy, but I was also lucky in that she was pretty quick to 'potty train'. It seemed instinctive to her, to want to go outside. If your dog isn't like that, you may run into problems.

I PM'd you.

I use the pee pads for my 8 and 20 month old. They are sometimes locked in the back part of the house when we go out and if they need to (very rarely now) they will use them. It is clean, easy to tidy up and effective. We used this solution, you dropper on initially when Porthos was 10 weeks.

I might add though, that if we have the door/dog door open and the pads down, they will always (100%) go outside to pee...they don't use the pads if they know they can go outside. I use the ones from city farmers - they are square with stick tabs so I can stick them at the corners to our tiles.

Susan

WE used them for our puppy from the day we brought her home and she hasnt missed yet :dancingelephant:

now we are moving them closer to the door so we can teach her to go outside; although when we go out she at least has the pee pads inside for her to go on.

get good quality ones, because the cheap ones can soak through to the floor

Oh and don't be surprised if your dog leaves you a little gift every now and then.... no... not pee or poop! Chewed up puppy pee pads. Apparently all the cool dogs are doing it and it is hilarious to both lay down and chew them to pieces and sprinkle said pieces around the back part of the house for the humans to clean up! :)

yeah I lost more pee pee pads then used them :hug:

rottie puppy thought they were awesome fun, then peed right next to them :)

I just use a shallow large cat litter box and wipe a tissue in some puppy urine. Paper based cat litter is the best for it like Breeders Choice. Easy and hygenic (and you dont spend an hour pulling the darn sticky tape things on the back of the pee pee from the flooring)

yeah I lost more pee pee pads then used them :hug:

rottie puppy thought they were awesome fun, then peed right next to them :)

I just use a shallow large cat litter box and wipe a tissue in some puppy urine. Paper based cat litter is the best for it like Breeders Choice. Easy and hygenic (and you dont spend an hour pulling the darn sticky tape things on the back of the pee pee from the flooring)

I second this.. I use breeders choice litter in a larger tub, on the balconey. The new Puppy has already mastered it.

Puppy pads are a fantastic treat in this household they get ripped up, chewed, tug o war... anything except peeing :o

Get a dog door.

An inside only puppy/dog is going to have trouble getting enough Vitamin D.

I'd be training my dog to go outside - after all for most of the year the temperatures are fine and they can go out, do their business and come back in all year round with a dog door.

I bought some of these in case puppy took a while getting used to the dog door and needed an emergency place to go in the laundry. It did take him a few days to master using the dog door unassisted, but he never once went on the puppy pee pads. He just adopted them as another place to lie down and take a nap, and would try to find a place in the room far away from both his crate and his pee pad bed to go toilet. :laugh: