Multigeneration Labradoodle?

Shmurps

If it wasn't a labradoodle but some other kind of xbreed that didn't include oodle in it which was working on breed development would there be the same kind of backlash here?

I know the cooli is further developed than the labradoodle but why doesn't create the same kind of outcry here?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good grief, I get told my Pugs are ugly by my own family... in fact, my eldest daughter refers to them as the fuglies. :laugh: Imagine if it bothered me.

God you'd have no hope. You want to pray that its not tru that owners start to look like their dogs :D :(:) :p .

Funny thats sort of how I imagined you before I met you. ;) :eek: :D :D

:rofl::o

Look the multi generations ones are breeding true to type and they really are doing everything right. They test and screen more than most breeders of recognised breeds

do.

We have to start to get over this type of mentality.

The ANKC isnt the bees knees and just because someone is working toward ANKC breed recognition or simply wanting to develop a new breed which they will only ever have on an independent registry that doesnt mean we have to get bent out of shape over it.

Multi generational are not mutts and the sooner we start to get our heads around that the better it will be for dogs.

Absolutely, and exactly what I was trying to say also.

Oh please, get over it Labsrule. Not everyone has to like the way your dog looks - everyone appreciates a different thing in their dogs, or else we would all own labradors. And it's not "insensitive" to say that the look of a particular breed doesn't appeal to you.

There's no point throwing a tanty whenever someone says they don't personally find your dog attractive. Heck, if I threw a tanty every time someone had called my stafford ugly or funny looking, I'd have thrown a lot of tanties over the years. :laugh:

You're right, as a vet I will need to be polite to any dog owner and breeder that comes in my door - whether they are breeding mutts, crossbreeds, oodles, or purebreds...

No I won't get over it and yes it is insensitive and I will throw as many tanties as I want to!!!

Hmmm, fair enough. Are there any other poodle or lab owners out there who think what I said was terribly insensitive, and that I should never admit to not liking the way any breed looks?

Whilst I don't agree with you (i think labs are the bees knees lol) , i don't think the fact that they don't aesthetically appeal to you offensive :)

I mean, you can't help being devoid of taste :o:rofl: (joke)

I don't find satffords particulary appealing so you probably think i have no sense of taste :D

BTW i am not polite to people (behind their back anyway) who want to breed their DDs or BYBers, in fact i do everything in my power to discourage them, whilst *attempting* to remain professional and polite :(

If it wasn't a labradoodle but some other kind of xbreed that didn't include oodle in it which was working on breed development would there be the same kind of backlash here?

I know the cooli is further developed than the labradoodle but why doesn't create the same kind of outcry here?

Koolies are primarily bred for a working purpose (apart from companion), so are not a DD

You also can't cross say a BC and a kelpie and call it a Koolie, so you don't get BYBers and puuppy farmers cashing in F1 crosses

I live in a coastal country town and there are heaps of these oodly doodly dogs. It is pretty much all the only pet shop in town stocks. We have an RSPCA but hardly anyone goes there to look for a dog which is quite depressing.

I would love it if some how there would be a meet and greet the breeds to come to my town, as the dog shows I have been to here the people are a bit hit and miss in welcoming people's questions.

Also from working in the most of the vet clinics around my town when people would ask about getting a new dog if I wasn't there most of the vet nurses would push the designer dogs as they had no idea about other dogs which could have filled the role like a Lagotto or PWD.

Education is the key...However I am doing my head in as to how I get started in my local area.

--Lhok

BTW i am not polite to people (behind their back anyway) who want to breed their DDs or BYBers, in fact i do everything in my power to discourage them, whilst *attempting* to remain professional and polite :D

Yup. There's a difference between polite & not challenging anything they say, though.

"Hmmm, what lovely puppies! And the dad is a chihuahua, you say! How very interesting. And aren't you lucky she didn't need a caesarian, my goodness, that would have been expensive for you. That's just one of the risks of breeding, of course. Have you thought about desexing fluffy after this litter?" :):):laugh:

I don't think you can educate anyone by calling their dogs 'ugly cross mutts'. I think you start making a rod for your own back when you refer to someone else's dog (which in all probability, they love) as ugly. :)

I am all for education but I don't think the 'if people want to be educated they will be' argument really cuts it. It's the way the information is presented that counts as well.

Yes you are right Emm and I will alter my post accordingly and remove the word "ugly".

I think the situation is a little different to the other unregistered breeds out there, since you can make an F1 labradoodle. If I could cross two unrelated pure breeds and magically get a "koolie" out, then I'd feel that breed was dodgy too. But you can't. A koolie always comes from two koolie parents, even though they're not AnKC registered. .

I think any serious labradoodle breeders would have a better chance of getting recognised as legitimate if they give their dog breed a new name. That would show they were actually trying to make a new breed, not just crossbreeding F1 dogs for immediate profit like many (most?) labradoodle producers are doing.

Thats makes sense to me, the name change. get rid of the 'oodle' syllables as there are soo many poodle DD crosses.

Hell yeah and I feel exactly the same way about the cross breds that people like to refer to as Aussie Bulldogs.

The Coolie has been around for a very long time, it served a purpose then and still does today.

I am not really a fan of poodles or labradors...but to be honest, based on looks alone (of the lab/poodle x's I have met) I quite like the mix.

Obviously they are all different so not all are going to look like the ones I have met, but if I had to choose a dog out of those 3 based on looks alone, I would choose the x.

*looks apologetically at the big boofy headed lab x in the lounge who looks just like a lab - love you bumbum* LOL

Based on looks alone, I suggest that people's views of the poodle look is based on the show cut. I wish I had a picture of Elvis here. Elvis is a standard poodle that used to belt from one side of St Helens Beach in Geelong to another and fling himself off the pier then swim into shore. I knew what poodles looked like but he didn't look like a poodle, simply because of his haircut. I also didn't think that they'd be so energetic. I had to adjust my view of poodles after meeting Elvis.

Hell yeah and I feel exactly the same way about the cross breds that people like to refer to as Aussie Bulldogs.

The Coolie has been around for a very long time, it served a purpose then and still does today.

Of the Irish terrier breeds, the wheaten is generally considered the oldest but wasn't recognised by the IKC until 1937. I have a novel dated the year before called The Kind Companion, which is about a blind man and his dog, named as a wheaten terrier.

Edited by Sheridan

So ReadySetGo are you saying that we can never develop any more breeds of dogs because it would involve xbreeding in the first place?

There are 184 ( or maybe it's 186 ) recognised breeds and countless others that have been around forever and are yet to be recognised for whatever reason. If you can't find a breed of dog in the nearly 200 , that suits your lifestyle or the intended purpose, then there's something seriously wrong and it's not due to limited choices.

If people had a purpose more then cash then fine. There are always breeds in development but the breeders dont make outragous claims. How can every memeber of a breed in development be 'perfect'. They cant. The oodle people are more then happy to charge through the nose for these dogs and yet they have no clear outcome in sight for what the breed is meant to be. They want to create a fluffy pet. OK ... err ... planning fail there?

Coolies are not being sold for stupid sums of money and rediculous claims made about them being the next perfect 'wonderdog' for everyone. If you want to create a breed you need a purpose in mind, there are plenty of dogs already fitting the 'pet dog' category without having to be hideously overpriced with over inflated marketing. People who want these dogs usually fall for the no groom hybrid vigour rubbish as well as the 'intelligent' bit (which is usually meaning 'train less!' to the credit card holder) They used working breeds to create a dog with no real working purpose which to me is a FAIL.

I am not really a fan of poodles or labradors...but to be honest, based on looks alone (of the lab/poodle x's I have met) I quite like the mix.

Obviously they are all different so not all are going to look like the ones I have met, but if I had to choose a dog out of those 3 based on looks alone, I would choose the x.

*looks apologetically at the big boofy headed lab x in the lounge who looks just like a lab - love you bumbum* LOL

Who buys a dog based on looks alone? what responsible people, i mean?

I know looks do play a part of the decision but there are so many other factors that should also be considered.

And there are soooo many other purebreds where you can be sure of temperament, health testing, energy levels etc that look EXACTLY like oodles.

I have embarrasingly mistaken the following breeds for oodles :) (because oodles ar esooo popular in my area, its just assumed that any curly/fluffy dog is the latest oodle)

poodles ( mini and standard)

Soft coated wheatens

Portugese Water dogs

lagottos

irish water spaniel

Not to mention the numerous other breeds that share a low sheddin/ low allergy coat that may be suitable.

I completely agree with you about the rediculous prices!!! It is astranomical. But I do wonder if it is a matter of economics, supply and demand and all that. They can charge those prices because the demand is so high people are willing to pay any price.

I completely agree with you about the rediculous prices!!! It is astranomical. But I do wonder if it is a matter of economics, supply and demand and all that. They can charge those prices because the demand is so high people are willing to pay any price.

and that exactly shows the mentality of the breeders. If you're outpricing most pedigree recognised dogs with unrecognised crossbreeds obviously your marketing comes before your care for a new breed. What makes an oodle more special then most of the other crosses out there in the pounds - the spin. For one of their multi gen 'breeding' dogs prices I can can get a working line dog that has a use, good pedigree and can go on to contribute to an international gene pool if I so wish it to.

Who buys a dog based on looks alone? what responsible people, i mean?

clueless peope with big wallets

Edited by Nekhbet

Yes, I wonder about this too. We have a pet store in this town that sell random x-breed and purebreed dogs without papers for about as much as you'd pay for a registered purebred.

So why do people shop there? I think it's mostly simply ignorance - most of the public don't understand the difference between a good registered purebred where the breeder has carefully selected the parents & done all the appropriate health testing, & a "purebred" puppy of completely unknown ancestry that comes with a vet check.

I wonder how much the "registered" multigeneration labradoodles tend to sell for?

I've seen it mentioned a few times that the labradoodle is only being bred for looks (ie as opposed to the more 'legitimate' purpose working ability) however it's important to remember that the lab is one of the most popular and well known breeds so if people want a lab temperament but not the lab coat what do they do? People always suggest other breeds with non shedding coats but to my understanding most if not all of those breeds do not share the temperament of the labrador.

Just a thought that temperament and coat suitability for a pet might be just as legitimate a purpose as working ability given that a lot of the 'work' of most dogs these days involves being a pet.

And what if they want a lab temperament and not the lab coat so get a labradoodle but they get the poodle temperament and the lab coat?

Just a thought ...

Surely, though, the purpose of attempting to legitimise an Australian Labradoodle breed is to eventually prevent this pot luck nature of buying a puppy by developing a dog that breeds true to the desired temperament and coat type?

However, I think that even if people did manage to refine the breed so that it was breeding true and was accepted by the ANKC, the average pet puppy buyer interested in labradoodles wouldn't understand or be interested in researching the difference between a 'purebred Australian Labradoodle' and a Poodle x Labrador when the latter is so readily available.

I don't agree, I think the eventual established labradoodle breed if consistent to form would be much more appealing than a first gen poodle/lab cross.

For me it was a toss up between what I was told 9th gen labradoodle and lagotto and poodle. I went with the lagotto and poodle due to the inconistencies in the labradoodle breed. This was prior to my education via DOL, BTW.

I wonder how much the "registered" multigeneration labradoodles tend to sell for?

I've seen a five month old multigeneration labradoodle for sale via the ALA as a breeding dog for the cheap price of $15,000.

I know people who have bought pups for between $3000-$5000.

Edited by huski