Multigeneration Labradoodle?

Shmurps

I would imagine a lot of pet owners choose a breed based on looks initially.

Most people start liking a breed because they like the way it looks don't they? They then go off and either get that dog or research further to see if temperament etc all match what they want?

Not everyone "cares" about personality or exercise needs or grooming etc.

I know of many people who don't mind short or long hair, low exercise or high exercise. Most would want a friendly dog obviously but I think initially your response to a breed is based on the way it looks.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most people start liking a breed because they like the way it looks don't they? They then go off and either get that dog or research further to see if temperament etc all match what they want?

I know of many people who don't mind short or long hair, low exercise or high exercise. Most would want a friendly dog obviously but I think initially your response to a breed is based on the way it looks.

+1.

I grew up wanting a Lab. No idea what they were really like besides gorgeous (in my eyes) and happy dogs, but I didn't care. 10 years later I finally got one. Did my research on the breed in advance, decided that I still liked them after finding out about them and was willing to do what it took to make it work, then found a great breeder. Labs are my heart breed, can't ever imagine not owning a Lab, and all this started based on loving how they looked :rofl:

I also love the look of the English Setter and the Beagle, but after doing some research I have realised they aren't suitable for me, at least at this point in my life. So even though I think looks usually come first when choosing a breed, if they then do the research it can sway a person either way.

Edited by RubyStar

And that is the reason why there are so many abandoned dogs, IMO of course.

People get something they like the look of, but once they realise that the dog's personality and/or needs are different from what they want they just get rid of the poor animal. Unfortunately, many don't learn the lesson and get something else they like the look of.

For example, I like great danes and bulldogs. Knowing what I know about those breeds, and their needs especially, I decided not to get either of them. Instead I got a standard poodle that fit our needs and lifestyle perfectly, and I believe that we (human part of the family) fit our dog's needs and lifestyle equally well.

And my comment about converting Staranais to Lab loving, was a light hearted joke, which you obviously misinterpreted.

But I got it, don't worry. :rofl:

Thinking back, my old boy managed to educate lots of people who previously thought that staffords were evil, child killing monsters. But I don't know if he managed to convince anyone (except me!) that he was pretty. :rofl:

:rofl: Hooley dooley, what a long thread!

Getting back to the term "Multigeneration Labradoodle" it is a fair description. You can have multi-generational anythings, doesnt mean much other than to say they have some history, good or bad.

It is not saying that they are purebred dogs, it is not saying anything about the quality, it merely is saying that they have been bred for a number of generations.

Probably the only living thing in the world that is NOT multigenerational is something that has just bubbled out of a test tube.

Souff

LizT - Problem is more and more people genuinely believe they are a new breed. No matter how many times you tell them they are just mixes.

I have been borderline abused by a lady in a shop because I had my puppies ears taped... I put up with it and just answered with a lot of "yes, right, ok, yes

Yet as soon as I just mentioned to her that her "Maltipoo" wasn't a real breed she stormed off.

Tell me about it, my daughter has a class friend and since they were seven years old my daughter has patiently tried to explain that a "Beaglier" isn't a Breed of dog but a combination of two breeds.

"Yes, it is, Santa promised me it was". Doesn't help that the mother doesn't know the difference either. The mother has stated it 's a breed made from combining the two breeds. :)

Edited by LizT

Funnily enough my Staffords don;t care if you think they are pretty or not. A pat's a pat and anyone is a target, regardless of how ugly you think they are LOL

Kinda like the cat who'll search out the cat haters lap huh?? :)

LizT, Same with the guy up the road who thought his fluffy was purebred because there is a byb poodle and malt in its history somewhere. My look of abject horror when he asked if my beautifully bred miniature show girl was a "maltipoo" took him by surprise together with my exclamation that I would never own a crossbred dog (yes - I am a dog snob - I want to know what I am getting).

In full flight

IMG_0235.jpg

Edited by frufru

LizT, Same with the guy up the road who thought his fluffy was purebred because there is a byb poodle and malt in its history somewhere. My look of abject horror when he asked if my beautifully bred miniature show girl was a "maltipoo" took him by surprise together with my exclamation that I would never own a crossbred dog (yes - I am a dog snob - I want to know what I am getting).

In full flight

IMG_0235.jpg

Lovely! Poodles are such fun.

My first ever pure breed dog was a Black Miniature Poodle that I bought at 16 (Pet only) from a Registered Breeder. My family had only ever had mutts up until that point and I've owned purebreds ever since. He may have cost me a weeks wage but even my dad who is the biggest cheap skate ever agreed it was money well spent.

Funnily enough my Staffords don;t care if you think they are pretty or not. A pat's a pat and anyone is a target, regardless of how ugly you think they are LOL

pretty sure Jess doesn't either but I won't pass up any opportunity to post a pic... :)

Edited by JRM75