Multigeneration Labradoodle?

Shmurps

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Multi generational labradoodle means labradoole X'd labradoodle for how ever many generatons it is, so multi.

Just curious, how many generations of breeding true is required for a cross to be identified as a breed?

Depends who you talk to. Some people say it's a breed so long as it breeds true. Some people say it's not a real breed until it's recognised by a registry. Some people say it's only a breed if the gene pool is closed (a la AnKC). I don't think a certain number of generations is usually a criteria for dogs, although it can be for cattle I believe.

According to some labxpoodle friends their dogs are pure breed"labradoodles" because the are 7th generation and have papers to proove it :crazy: This coming from people that have rescued dogs from shelters all their lives and then got their labradoodles from "proper" breeders and paid a small fortune :mad:rofl: ;) That is in Scotland by the way.

edit for spelling.

ps sorry I used the forbiddin DM name

Edited by julzjc

According to some labxpoodle friends their dogs are pure breed"labradoodles" because the are 7th generation and have papers to proove it :crazy: This coming from people that have rescuded dogs from shelters all their lives and then got their labradoodles from "proper" breeders and paid a small fortune :mad:rofl: ;) That is in Scotland by the way.

I am not sure why you are laughing or being smug. Labradoodles do have a registry. They do have ancestoral records. They do have breeders registered under their registry.

Personally, apart from the obvious history time difference, I feel they are on the rough side of being legitimate just as much as Mini Foxies, White Sheps, Koolies or any orther breed in exsistenace and with a registry but not recognised by the ANKC.

Don't they have to produce a certain number of litters (generations, not from the same parents) that stay true to the standard aimed for? I thought that was one reason Don B had the s#*!ts with the powers that be because he was close to having the Tenterfield Terrier recognised and then there was a litter that were nothing like the standard? :crazy:

Don't they have to produce a certain number of litters (generations, not from the same parents) that stay true to the standard aimed for? I thought that was one reason Don B had the s#*!ts with the powers that be because he was close to having the Tenterfield Terrier recognised and then there was a litter that were nothing like the standard? :crazy:

The Tentie is recognised and is breeding true. :mad

Sorry I wasnt being smug I was under the assuption they were still DDs. Regarding all laughing I was laughing mainly at my friends.Refering to them as pure bred some 12years ago when these parents most certainly werent throwing true pups is what I was laughing at. I met a few of their pups and they deffinatly were not consitant in type and constantly had litters on the ground going for ridiculous prices. After rescuing so many dogs I thought they had more sense then buying from a byb.

Yes it is now, but I'm talking alot of years ago.

Don't know, I could be wrong in the breed maybe? No offence meant to any TT breeders :mad

ETA: Am replying to Anne's post. Can't work out how to add quotes in edit mode. :crazy:

Edited by dobesrock

I think the situation is a little different to the other unregistered breeds out there, since you can make an F1 labradoodle. If I could cross two unrelated pure breeds and magically get a "koolie" out, then I'd feel that breed was dodgy too. But you can't. A koolie always comes from two koolie parents, even though they're not AnKC registered. .

I think any serious labradoodle breeders would have a better chance of getting recognised as legitimate if they give their dog breed a new name. That would show they were actually trying to make a new breed, not just crossbreeding F1 dogs for immediate profit like many (most?) labradoodle producers are doing.

Sorry I wasnt being smug I was under the assuption they were still DDs. Regarding all laughing I was laughing mainly at my friends.Refering to them as pure bred some 12years ago when these parents most certainly werent throwing true pups is what I was laughing at. I met a few of their pups and they deffinatly were not consitant in type and constantly had litters on the ground going for ridiculous prices. After rescuing so many dogs I thought they had more sense then buying from a byb.

I don't profess to being an expert on them, but I do know there is a legitimate core group trying to do the right thing. There are many though that are cashing in on the DD craze also. :crazy:

Edited by ~Anne~

I was under the impression that for a breed to be 'recognised' it must produce True to type for a certain number of generations, I thought 5, but could be wrong, just going by what I was told by someone, somewhere! With the 'labradoodle' this has not happened, there are just too many variations in conformation, coat and temperament from litter to litter and variations within the same litter apparently.

I was under the impression that for a breed to be 'recognised' it must produce True to type for a certain number of generations, I thought 5, but could be wrong, just going by what I was told by someone, somewhere! With the 'labradoodle' this has not happened, there are just too many variations in conformation, coat and temperament from litter to litter and variations within the same litter apparently.

Recognised by whom? (or who?)

Also, I don't think that is the sole or only criteria otherwise the Mini Foxy and others I mentioned in an earlier post would be recognised by now if 'recognised' means by the ANKC.