Ear Infection In 6 Month Old Puppy

cj-b

My 6 month old male puppy, had a very red right ear. It was clearly bothering him, so I took him to the vet, who said it is an infection, yeast and bacterial infection. She prescribed him surolan ear drops 10 drops total per day and Amoxyclav 250mg per day.

Anyway about 15minutes after I had given him the Amoxyclav, he started vomitting, about 6 times in total. Started of being his food then by the end just bile. My poor little boy.

Can the Amoxyclav be causing the vomitting? He is asleep now, I keep checking on him. He hasn't vomitted for about an hour now. But I'm worried. If he is still vomitting in the morning, I will take him to the vet asap.

I should add, I think the ear infection my caused by the hair in his ears. My regular groomer had to go in for an operation, so I took him to a local groomer for a touch up, ear plucking etc until she was well. Anyway the next time I took him back to his regular groomer she said there was no way they touched his ears at all, as they were chockers. She told me to clean them daily, to help avoid an infection, but I guess we were too late.

Does anyone know if this medicine can cause vomitting? Or could it be the ear infection? He has been lethargic lately as well and not eating much at all, but the vet told me this would be from the ear infection.

If someone could help with advice or opinions this would be great.

the vomiting can be a reaction to the amoxicillan

Thank you for helping. Should I stop giving it to him? Or should I try again in the morning.

I'm curious, I read the booklet that came with the drops and it said that one of the ingredients was an antibiotic. So I was wondering why he would need to take the amoxclav as well???? I'm sure she has her reasons, but I'm curious.

I would definatley NOT be giving him the tablets if he has had such a reaction. Mine have had ear infections and the surolan is enough to clear the infection up. If it is bad enough to need AB's then your vet should prescribe a different type. I'm not sure how you can get drops out of the surolan bottle as it is very thick. It is usually prescribed in a syringe measurement.

What type of breed is your pup? I don't fully agree with fully plucking the ears if there is a lot of hair some plucking is good. Out of my 4 only one needs slightly plucking. I like them to have small amount of hair so things don't go in there when we are out and about. I clean my dogs ears once a week with oticlean.

I would definatley NOT be giving him the tablets if he has had such a reaction. Mine have had ear infections and the surolan is enough to clear the infection up. If it is bad enough to need AB's then your vet should prescribe a different type. I'm not sure how you can get drops out of the surolan bottle as it is very thick. It is usually prescribed in a syringe measurement.

What type of breed is your pup? I don't fully agree with fully plucking the ears if there is a lot of hair some plucking is good. Out of my 4 only one needs slightly plucking. I like them to have small amount of hair so things don't go in there when we are out and about. I clean my dogs ears once a week with oticlean.

The drops are thick, but we manage to get them in there. He loves the rubbing afterwards, much feel so good on his sore little ear.

He is a poodle/schanuzer mix. What type of dogs do you have? Everyone has told me to make sure we remove all the hair at all times. But what you say does make sense. Will talk to the vet about it tomorrow. Thanks.

My guys are poodle x cocker spaniel. I had lots of trouble with my oldest when he was a pup, he had perforated ear drums so it was a long road to recovery for him and there was no explanation as to why it happened. Since then I am right onto their ears and the vet has always commented on how good their ears are which is great. What does your vet recommend about plucking. Definatley ring your vet in the morning and see what they say?

They are so cute ;)

I haven't asked this vet, the vet we have been seeing prior to this ear problem, wasn't available. But the vet nurse was the first person to tell me, to keep the hair in his ears under control and that was when he was 8 weeks old. So I'm confused now. Maybe his ears are just way to hairy :rofl: and plucking is a must, I'm not sure. But will definitely talk to them about in the morning. Thanks.

If you have a dog with very hairy ears you need to pluck just enough that it can let air down in there. Dogs with floppy ears are a dark, hot breeding ground for bacteria so if you can at least have enough hair out that there is air going down then that should help. Over plucking is a definite no no.

If you have a dog with very hairy ears you need to pluck just enough that it can let air down in there. Dogs with floppy ears are a dark, hot breeding ground for bacteria so if you can at least have enough hair out that there is air going down then that should help. Over plucking is a definite no no.

This definitely makes sense to me, I will talk to the groomer and the vet about what they think.

He has hasn't vomitted since last night, which is a relief. But still not eating, but still drinking.

I must admit I'm worried about the poor little fellow.

You need to speak to or see your vet about the reaction to the meds ASAP.

Ask a different groomer, vet nurse or vet and you will get different replies to the plucking question. As a groomer and owner of poodles I do different things depending on the dog and the state of their ears - If they are full of crap and hairy I pluck - if they are clean and healthy I leave them alone but check often.

I have never been told to use a syringe with Surolan with a syringe :rofl: If your vet swabbed the ear and looked under a microscope they will have given your puppy the treatment they felt was required - some ear infections can be very persistent. If mine have ever had a problem - I always go back to the vet once the treatment is complete and have them check the ears to make sure they are clear.

You need to speak to or see your vet about the reaction to the meds ASAP.

Ask a different groomer, vet nurse or vet and you will get different replies to the plucking question. As a groomer and owner of poodles I do different things depending on the dog and the state of their ears - If they are full of crap and hairy I pluck - if they are clean and healthy I leave them alone but check often.

I have never been told to use a syringe with Surolan with a syringe :thumbsup: If your vet swabbed the ear and looked under a microscope they will have given your puppy the treatment they felt was required - some ear infections can be very persistent. If mine have ever had a problem - I always go back to the vet once the treatment is complete and have them check the ears to make sure they are clear.

Yep, she wants to see him again in 7 days to make sure the infection is clearing up. The drops are to be used for 14 days, she won't charge for this. His ears to get very waxy and very very hairy, maybe this is why those who have seen him, recommend plucking.

Thanks for all your help :rofl:

I have hairy drop eared dogs and have ALWAYS plucked the hair from their inner ears.

My dogs over the years have never had any problems with this, they love it, their ears are clean and healthy and we live in a very humid climate!

So I guess it just depends on who you ask and how much experience they have had in caring for these types of ears.

if he's getting so waxy and infected already I would be looking at changing his diet too. I know my rottweiler takes one food of the wrong food to get a lovely yeast infection.

I agree I dont know why the amoxyclav was given as well, did she look at the smear under a microscope or just give you a hand full of meds?

I would stop the antibiotics and call your vet. The drops will still help fight the infection

I have 2 poodles. My male is fine without plucking (but I keep them lightly plucked). My female will get ear infections if her ears arent plucked so I guess it depends on your dog but if your dog didnt get an ear infection with ear plucking then got one when his ears werent plucked I would say that ear plucking works for your dog.

I have found vets have vary in their recommendation on plucking some say yes and some say no.

Do you clean the ears regularly with any solution? I use Malacetic (which was a recomendation I got from here as I was very unhappy with epiotic) every couple of weeks and after swimming and finds it helps keep their ears fresh and dry.

I agree I dont know why the amoxyclav was given as well, did she look at the smear under a microscope or just give you a hand full of meds?

We had a bad run with grass seeds causing infection and the only time one of my dogs was given antibiotics was when a grass seed perforated his ear drum the other times we just had drops. This also coincided with them having hairy ears as I had taken the no plucking advice. The both ended up under sedation having their ears plucked and flushed. It was a very expensive lesson to learn.

Edited by shells

Yes, she took 2 samples from both ears. And she even showed me what the yeast looks like under the microscope. She said a in a healthy ear, the balance of yeast would be about 6 on a slide, my dog had much much more, maybe 100ish. I have stopped the oral ab's and continued with the drops, and I'm seeing an improvement already in his ear, so that's good. We still have 10 more days of treatment, so hopefully he will be back to his normal self soon.

I don't think it would be food related, but will discuss this with the vet at his check up next week, and see what she thinks.

Definitely see the vet about his reaction- the vet obviosuly thought the infection warranted oral treatment, so it should still be implemented, using a different A/B. :love:

You may indeed find a diet change will help to stop a recurrence - although some vets do not encourage this train of thought ...

Edited by persephone

Definitely see the vet about his reaction- the vet obviosuly thought the infection warranted oral treatment, so it should still be implemented, using a different A/B. :love:

You may indeed find a diet change will help to stop a recurrence - although some vets do not encourage this train of thought ...

He is fed Nutro puppy chix and rice. I'm reluctant to change, as it's the only kibble I have found that he seems interested in eating. I have thought about Artemis, but have about 9kg of Nutro left. So maybe I might look into changing once it's all gone. Hopefully by then, a local supplier will stock it.

If you do decide to change his diet, you will need to have some of what you are feeding not so you can gradually change. Swapping from one food to another cold turkey is not a good idea. A gradual change is better. Hope your dogs ears are getting better byt he day. Do you have a photo of him you can post?