Buying A Puppy From A Pet Shop

LizT

:eek: Good job, LizT.

I've been trying to convince my friend that pet shops are bad for a while now.. he keeps insisting "well every dog deserves to find a home, even the ones in pet stores!" Dunno what to say to him anymore :)

'

Ask him if the same applies to the parents of pet shop puppies. Puppy farm dogs deserve good homes too. Every sale from a pet shop keeps two dogs in misery.

:eek: That's a good one (and yet so, so sad :D ), I'll tell him that, thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My neighbour was looking to get a CKC a couple of weeks ago and saw one at Pets Paradise for $950. I told her about puppy mills etc and why it isn't good to go to a pet shop. I talked her out of getting the pup and tried to get her one from Miley's breeder. She wouldn't wait the 3 days :eek: and she said she wanted to use her credit card, which obviously a breeder wouldn't take.

So what does she do!?!? She goes to ACA breeders and gets a cavalier x poodle :eek: Oh but they use breeders, she says.

I even linked her to an article with a raid on a ACA puppy farm the night before she got the puppy, but she still went ahead and got her. They even gave her the wrong dog the numbskulls. She's had diarrhea since they got her.

Someone at work has a CKCS/Poodle mix obtained from a puppy farmer. After weeks of skin issues including hot spots, its finally been diagnosed with mange.

Poor little bugger.

When we have Disney movies promoting puppies from Pet stores in subtle ways, how do we expect things to change? Seems like it won't matter, but considering how much the demand rises for certain breeds when different movies come out (snow dogs anyone?), I think it does.

Ever seen "Bolt"? First few scenes shows her picking her new white shepherd puppy, in a pet store!

Someone at work has a CKCS/Poodle mix obtained from a puppy farmer. After weeks of skin issues including hot spots, its finally been diagnosed with mange.

Poor little bugger.

Yep years ago before I knew better, I got a CKCS poodle mix from ACA and he had terrible skin issues from the first week we got him. He was treated for mange and it didn't help. He was first given sheep drench (?) He lived on antihistamine and steroids and wore a bucket over his head most of his life. He was allergic to fleas also, but also to flea treatment :) the poor thing was in living hell.

He ended up getting stolen by a crazy neighbour...that's a different thread though.

My kids still cry over him over 3 years later. They mainly worry that his skin isn't being cared for properly. I doubt the crazy $%& takes him to the vet :thumbsup:

People buy puppies in pet shops because they don't know any better places to buy them.

The pedigree dog world needs a better publicist.

:thumbsup: Too true.

Years ago pet shops took the oops litters. They stood more chance of getting a home than the pound, were not bred as deliberate cross breeds for $'s & were usually true mongrels. Pet shops were small businesses not big chains just all out for money & often pups were taken home or given to friends or family if they did not sell.

I can't understand how the public don't know better. Some must just believe anything in the media, blind themselves to the puppy farm issue & not think about or concern themselves with this.

Years ago no one knew better but now there is info on the net, in newspapers, magazines, TV, radio for people to consider & make an informed choice.

People buy puppies in pet shops because they don't know any better places to buy them.

the trouble is pple like it easy, they like to be able to window shop for puppies all in one place so they can see what they like or dont like.

maybe we need to get some poundies into pet shop windows instead of puppy mill pups

Exactly. I don't think most people even know that decent breeders exist! I think a lot of people aren't aware that puppies exist outside of pet stores. And the convenience probably does motivate a lot of people. Why potentially wait a few months for a puppy when you can go and pick one up today from the shop down the road?!

the trouble is pple like it easy, they like to be able to window shop for puppies all in one place so they can see what they like or dont like.

maybe we need to get some poundies into pet shop windows instead of puppy mill pups

I'd rather see no dogs in the window to be impulse bought.

Most people don't realise where pet shop puppies come from, they do think they are from "woops" litters, just need to point out how many "woops" litters this would have to be and it gets them thinking. I always explain puppy farming and push the "supply and demand", so that they understand if people keep buying from these sources that puppy farms will keep existing (unless RSPCA can hopefully shut them down through their current campaign)

I often get people coming in to my shop looking for pups, when you ask what breed they are after they often "just want a pup"!!!! Or ones that have a breed in mind I ask why that breed, what their life style is like, tell them some reasons why that breed may or may not suit and often suggest other breeds that may be more appropriate. Of course I always point them in the direction of DOL to further research, along with breed club sites and good breeders if I know someone with the particular breed they are looking for.

I had a couple come in the other day, asked "you don't sell animals?" when I asked what they were looking for they replied "just want to see if something takes our fancy". They didn't even want a particular type of animal, now that is an even bigger worry.

When we have Disney movies promoting puppies from Pet stores in subtle ways, how do we expect things to change? Seems like it won't matter, but considering how much the demand rises for certain breeds when different movies come out (snow dogs anyone?), I think it does.

Ever seen "Bolt"? First few scenes shows her picking her new white shepherd puppy, in a pet store!

I'm fairly sure it was a "Rescue" based store. I'm sure I read that on the front of the building?????

I totally agree, why not a few short Ads onTelly????

Costs I suppose, surely the RSPCA would love to help with fundraising for that??!! :rofl:

I'm not to sure of the details but my sister was telling me of a Pet Supplies Store in South Morang, Melbourne that does that very thing!!! They place "Poundies" as you called them. My mother got a Moggie cat from there after her old girl passed away.

Yay for education! Congrats on your great job.

People really truly honestly do not know. A lot of otherwise intelligent, compassionate people would never purchase from pet shops had they known better. Makes me cringe to know that one of my dogs came from one and I will regret it forever (however I was 12 at the time), but of course we love her unconditionally.

This.

I grew up in an affluent area, parents were well off, went to a good school. Our family dog, was/is a pet shop dog. She has some behavioural issues, but otherwise is a happy healthy, much loved pet. My point being, we were not aware of 'registered dog breeders' eight years ago when we decided we wanted a dog.

It wasn't until Hubby and I were looking to get Genevieve that I became aware of things. The truth be told, I couldn't find the so-called 'breed' that I wanted, available from a breeder (which my Hubby insisted upon). This was how I came to have a deeper understanding of the purebred vs crossbred debate, which of course filters in to the pet shop/puppy mill/BYB breeder fiasco. So I now have a happy, healthy, purebred CKCS.... instead of the cross breed that I thought I wanted. Knowing what I know now, I am very happy with my decision and choice of pet.

My point is, that even a lot of the educated, affluent members of society aren't aware. There is also the cost debate... which I have come to realise is false also. It doesn't help when a lot of doco's on purebred dogs with health issues are aired...

There definitely needs to be more positive promotion and education of purebred dogs. Getting a word in with someone before they have purchased a pup, is great, but bagging people who have already bought one, and assuming they will make horrible dog owners, doesn't do anyone any favours.

I'd rather see no dogs in the window to be impulse bought.

I agree, No dogs in windows. They shouldn't be in view like that all boxed up in a window with people tapping all over it. It makes me sick to my stomach walking past in the malls.

They should not be in malls period.

If you want a dog you got to do the research and go out there to the pound or a registered breeder.

Agree with Wizzle - My parents are well off and we were always a very dog orientated family. We had purebred and cross bred dogs when I was growing up (always from BYB). So many people (like my family) think that a registered purebred dog is only for those that want to show/breed dogs. So many of these people think that the difference between a registered purebred and a purebred from a BYB is the papers. Why pay X amount of extra $ just for a piece of paper?

There is also the perception that breeders are snobby, bitchy and strange people that are obsessed with their dogs. There have been some documentaries that have only confirmed that to the general public. We know that not all breeders are like this, but how does Joe Public, with no idea where or how to get more info, find this out for himself?

There definately needs to be more public education on the benefits of owning a well bred, registered dog and how to find the info and breeders to do this successfully.

Yes, and it has to be understood too that many of the "DD" we see on the end of peoples leashes came from pounds.

Many, many years ago I too, thought it might be nice to have a "DD" 'oodle thingy. I had a Poodle that bred with a terrier when I was young and the pups were lovely. An aquaintence of mine who had recently bred her Border Collie and also worked as a Dog Groomer simply said in a non judgmental way. "Check out the Pounds and Shelters first, they are full of these little dogs if you really want one." She also went on to tell me that they were the bulk of dogs she clipped and groomed because their coats were to difficult for the owners to manage. Many were matted and had 'felt' coming off by the time she was called to deal with it too :kissbetter:

As it happened I didn't end up getting one as that started me on the path of further thought and inquiry.

Yes, and it has to be understood too that many of the "DD" we see on the end of peoples leashes came from pounds.

Many, many years ago I too, thought it might be nice to have a "DD" 'oodle thingy. I had a Poodle that bred with a terrier when I was young and the pups were lovely. An aquaintence of mine who had recently bred her Border Collie and also worked as a Dog Groomer simply said in a non judgmental way. "Check out the Pounds and Shelters first, they are full of these little dogs if you really want one." She also went on to tell me that they were the bulk of dogs she clipped and groomed because their coats were to difficult for the owners to manage. Many were matted and had 'felt' coming off by the time she was called to deal with it too :kissbetter:

Can I just point out that it isn't just oodles that get matted? Any non-shedding dog, and indeed those with pedigrees back to the year dot, can get matted.

On the subject of petshops, I grew up knowing about 'dog farms' as they were called then and that pet shops were bad. No education from the parents on the matter; it just seemed kind of obvious to us.

It's not obvious to everyone, and if a person or family isn't involved with or all that interested in dogs in general, any and all publicity about where pet shop puppies come from might just pass them by.

We notice it because we're interested. We see the page 15 newspaper stories, we make an effort to watch the TV segments and the dog culture is very, very much in our awareness. But we are not everybody and we are not even "most" people.

I am not interested in football. Not in the slightest. I live in Victoria, where the footy scores take precedence over any other news, and football stories generally take up the first and last 6 pages of the daily paper plus the middle liftout.

But I could not tell you who the most popular players are, I couldn't tell you who's likely to win the grand final, for that matter I can't even tell you when the grand final even is. Apparently there was some big scandal recently involving drugs.....Ben someone or other? Don't aks me, I wouldn't have a clue. I'm not interested.

It's not that I go out of my way to bury my head in the sand, it just doesn't cross my awareness and football in Victoria is VERY in your face at this time of the year.

So goes it with dogs, pet puppies, pet shops, puppy farms, breeders etc. If a person isn't interested, they won't notice and believe me, stories about dogs are much, much less common and take up much less news space than stories about football.

If and when someone like this wants to buy a puppy as a family pet, they head straight for the nearest pet shop, as isn't that where you buy pets? They don't know where else to go. It might not occur to them that there even IS anywhere else to go. And as for wondering where the puppies come from, that's a thought that wouldn't even cross their mind.

That doesn't make them potentially bad pet owners, in fact that could very well be the start of a lifetime love affair with dogs, but I dare say that's very much the case with lots and lots of people who are buying a family pet for the first time.